Author Topic: Surgery 2 Weeks Ago - NYC - My Story  (Read 5819 times)

TheBootMan

Surgery 2 Weeks Ago - NYC - My Story
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:46 am »
Hi Everyone. I am a 29 year old male from NYC and around 3 months ago I found out that I had a acoustic neuroma. It was an accidental finding. I was having pain in my neck for a few months, so I got an MRI and they found the tumor. It was relatively small, around 1.4cm at its largest point. When you looked at the MRI, you could tell that the bulk of the tumor was in the canal, and the head of the tumor started poking out and heading towards the brain stem. My biggest concern (like most people) was saving the facial nerve. I would have given up the hearing in the ear in a heartbeat if I knew that my facial function would be saved. I read online (btw, I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, so I looked online very little, as I didn't want to freak myself out) that the facial nerve is left unscathed in 95% of cases and hearing is more 50-50 (assuming you have a good doctor). I interviewed 3 doctors: Dr. John Roland in New York City at NYU, Dr. Derald Brackmann in California at the House Institute and Dr. Thomas Wilcox in Philadelphia, PA at Thomas Jefferson. Obviously we needed to decide not only where to get the surgery but what surgery to use. In the end, I went with Dr. John Rolan at NYU. For starters, he has done  over 1,000 of these surgeries and every ENT doctor we asked in NYC told us that they send all their patients to him.  It is also amazing how many people actually have an acoustic neuroma, so we found around 5 people that have used him personally and were all very happy. Also, was the closest to home which is important for follow up visits and I felt better knowing that my doctor was a 30 minute drive away. I chose to do surgery over radiology. To be honest, I didn't really research the radiology all that much, but I spoke to a few doctors and being that I am only 29 years old, they didn't feel I should risk getting any rays close to my brain, as I am still relatively young. I think that if I were in my 50's or older, I may have looked into this a little bit more. My surgery itself was on February 27th. It was a 3 hour procedure (very fast) and I was in the hospital for 4 days. My face looks great and my hearing is still unknown (it is still relatively weak, so it looks like I will have some hearing loss in the ear). The worst part of my hospital stay was the steroids. For around 2 days I was going stir crazy in my hospital bed and then at home. I felt like I wanted to move around all the time, even though I really couldn't move all that much post surgery. 2 weeks later, I am sleeping great and starting to walk around the house pretty normally. My face looks great, hearing still pretty weak, and my dizziness is getting better every day. All and all, I am very happy with the results so far. I expect to return to work (or at least start working from home) in about 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:56:18 am by TheBootMan »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery 2 Weeks Ago - NYC - My Story
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:02:00 am »
Hi, Bootman ~

Congratulations on your successful AN surgery and please accept our appreciation for taking the time to register and post your story.  Your pre-op research was excellent and the results testify to the wisdom of your choices.  I'm delighted to learn that you are enjoying a good recovery and will be returning to work soon, albeit from home. I hope your hearing will be maintained at a usable level and of course, we hope to see more from you as your recovery progresses.  Your AN experience offers a good example of the excellent outcomes to AN surgery that many newly-diagnosed AN patients could benefit from reading.  Thanks again for joining us - and for your positive post.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:20:55 am »
TheBootMan,

I am really happy to read your surgery was successful.  Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos operated on me a few years ago.  My tumor was small but was causing a lot of problems for me.  Dr. Roland had me speak to Dr. Golfinos about radiation instead of surgery.  I felt uncomfortable with radiation, although many contributors to this site have chosen it with good results.  My procedure was middle fossa in the hope of saving my hearing, which they have done.  My recovery has taken a lot longer than I thought, and even though I am not 100 percent, there is much I can do again.  Dr. Roland has always replied promptly to my emails when I was going through a diffcult recovery, I find him to be a very caring doctor.  During my first appointment, I asked him two questions - 1. How long have you been doing this, 2. How many do you do a year.  I was satisfied with his level of experience.  I just wonder how up and coming surgeons get to that level of experience, if patients like me would not allow to be touched by a younger surgeon.  Perhaps a good subject for another post.  New York City has an excellent support group if you need to be in the company of other AN patients.  FYI - Dr. Roland gave me the address to this site when I first met him.  I am sure there are other good surgeons in NY, but this was the recommendation my ENT gave me, and I went with it.

All the best.

TheBootMan

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:26:33 am »
In NYC I am told that Dr. Roland is one of the best. A few days before my surgery, a friend of mine who I hadn't spoken to in a while, called me saying he heard that I was coming in for surgery. He is a resident ENT and knows both Dr. Roland and Galfinos well. He just wanted to assure me that I had chosen the right doctors for the job. Once you are confident with the doctors the rest is out of your hands and for me that really helped me relax and enjoy the weeks leading up to surgery. I think people learn this surgery the same way you learn everything else, by watching, taking notes, assisting and then eventually doing it yourself. My friend (the resident) informed me that he has seen over 50 of these surgeries already. Thanks for the responses and I hope you continue to progress towards 100%.

Elliot

millie

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
Bootman-Glad you are doing well!  I too had Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos.  I am 65 and had trans-lab -so I am still recovering, I think.  Everyone's experience is different, but I am very happy with those doctors too.