Author Topic: Long time, and a great cause  (Read 2026 times)

allegro17

Long time, and a great cause
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:00:38 pm »
Hi everyone!

I'm sure there are many newcomers since I was last here several years ago, and hopefully some old friends as well!  It made me so happy to come back to the site and see that The Magic Scarf is still on its miraculous journey :)

For those of you who don't know me, I was diagnosed with a right side AN in late 2008 after losing hearing in my right ear.  I found this forum and had the chance to meet some of the amazing people on it while in Boston (to run the Boston Marathon) in April 2009 -- days later, I had my first surgery to have the tumor resected.

Long story short, at my first post-surgery follow-up MRI, the scan showed a left side AN developing and I was diagnosed at that point with NF2.  The spinal MRI's that followed showed more tumors, one of which I have had surgery to remove since. 

I am sure that each of you who has been diagnosed with an AN knows what turmoil it can throw life into.  The NF diagnosis was round two of this for me, and every day since has brought a new set of emotions, worries and difficulties.  I definitely have suffered through times of depression with the diagnosis, but as with anything in life, I have tried to find acceptance through appreciation of the small things in life and maintaining a positive outlook, one day at a time. 

Being able to participate in marathons and triathlons has been absolutely huge in helping me persevere from my initial AN diagnosis and since through this disorder, both mentally and physically.  (In fact, I finished my first Ironman triathlon 4 month after my first brain surgery, and both looking forward to and training for the race made an immeasurable difference in my recovery!)  I also learned of ways to raise funds to support NF through endurance sports like marathons and triathlons, which has brought a whole new level to the participation.  In 2013, I will be participating in Ironman Lake Placid in upstate NY as part of an incredible team raising money for The Children's Tumor Foundation which funds research for treatment of Neurofibromatosis.

Thanks so much and I hope to have a chance to talk to you all more through this and in the future!

With all my gratitude,
Laura

(Hi Laura and all.  Laura, Kudos to you for taking on this challenge and raising money in the process.  I have edited your post and personal contact details.  Kindly requesting that if anyone would like more information from Laura about her efforts to PM/email her directly here on the forums.  Thanks. Phyl)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:41:27 am by ppearl214 »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Long time, and a great cause
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »
Hi Laura (and all!)

I've trimmed up the post to make it a little more appropriate for the ANA forums but did want to share that I commend Laura for doing this for NF2'ers and helping to raise money for a good cause (I'll be co-team captain of our Alz Assn Walk again this year.... great to see how we don't let our AN journeys get in the way so we can help do for others!)

Laura, congrats on this accomplishment... and if anyone wants further details, please PM/email Laura here for info.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"