Author Topic: Hearing Aid Suggestions  (Read 33857 times)

LADavid

Hearing Aid Suggestions
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:24 pm »
Got a question for those of you who wear hearing aids.  I've been wearing a Widex Inteo in my good ear since 2007 (even my good ear is bad).  It has recently started to crash on me and sent back for repairs.  I suppose I should be thankful that it's hung in there that long.  My audiologist suggested I think about getting an Oticon Alta since it has new bells and whistles like wireless Tv and Cell reception --- which also comes with a hefty price tag.  The other day I was in Costco and I noticed their hearing aid center was featuring something that sounded like Oticon but cost $1000 less.  Do any of you have experience or have talked with any one with experience with Kirkland hearing aids (Costco Brand) and how to they compare with brands like Oticon and Widex?  Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.  There's nothing like being clinically deaf and waking up to find ones hearing aid isn't working.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

jfspainter

Re: Hearing Aid Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:35:25 pm »
Right now I have a Unitron 220. It was $2300. It seems very good as I am still under the 45 day trail period. I love the t-coil feature. All you do is put the phone to your ear and talk. No pushing buttons. Love it. Also I think it is very good for speech clarification and recognition. I am totally deaf now in my left ear thanks to my AN and about 65% gone in my left ear from mumps in 1952. I have worn aids in both ears since I was 8. I am 67 now. Right now I no longervwhere an aid in my left ear as itbdidn't help. I am looking into other options.

It wouldn't hurt to try a Kirkland brand as you have 45 days to try it. Good Luck, Jane

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:20:18 pm »
Costco apparently gives a 90 day free trial period on hearing aids:

http://www.costco.com/hearing-aid-information.html

And the pricing looks good, too.

http://www.costco.com/hearing-aid-styles.html

Sam's Club also has some pretty reasonable pricing.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hearing-aids/1710103.cp

I'd study all the reviews first, but if you can return them for a full refund if they don't work out for you, give them a try.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »
I have had my hearing aids for three years and they seem to be in for repair pretty often.  They cost me $5000. My warranty expires in a couple of months.  I went to Costco to talk about their hearing aids.  What really surprised me is that what they sell is top of the line only under their name.  And they have a three year warranty.

I have a talked to a couple who bought from Costco and had no problems.  I have decided if I need to buy I will get them their.  Since I wear two aid it can get very expensive.  The top of the line for them in my area are two for $1999.

TJ

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:43:03 am »
arizonajack thanks for the links.  Currently I'm doing OK with my hearing aids (Phonak) but really trying to get my husband in to get hearing aids for himself, maybe Costco will do the trick.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

nftwoed

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
David;

Is Kirkland to Widex the same as Unitron is to Phonak? The latter two are virtually identical and I think much is to do about marketing. If one can offer 10 named Chevrolets for sale vs. 5, it's likely they will outsell Ford whom is only offering 5 named models?!
   Re, "bells and whistles", that seems 'well to a point'. The point being over complication if hearing worsens quite a bit.

jfspainter

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:25:48 pm »
Today I went to try a new type of hearing aid. It is called a Tandem put out by Unitron. It is for single sided deafness. I think I am going to reall like it. I have a microphone in my Left ear (AN) side. So far it is great! My husband asked me to turn up the music. I don't think in my 44 years off marriage has he made such a request!!! Life seems more natural!
Jane

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »
Thank you everyone for you advice and input. As you have all discovered, the really good hearing aids are very expensive and I don't want to make a mistake.  My Widex cost me $2700 five years ago but I've started having problems with it which I've had to send in for repairs.  When I get a loaner from the audiologist, it's a few models down on the scale.  I'm SSD and nearly deaf in my good ear and I've found that those models do very little to help and I spend most of my time lip-reading.  It sounds like Costco might be an excellent option.  I'm about three or four months away from buying a new one -- or as long as my current one holds out.  As I go through the buying process, I'll make sure to post what I discover.  And thanks, arizonajack for the links!
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Margret Rosey

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 04:25:31 am »
I am using Kirkland Signature Hearing aids for last 6 months and it cost's around $1,900 a pair. It has an improved technology when compared to other models. I bought it from Hearing solutions in Canada and I got a kit which includes some wireless hearing instruments and a remote control with 8 batteries etc. Right now I am happy with this hearing aid.