Author Topic: New Cyberknife M6 FIM can shape the radiation beam  (Read 5518 times)

PaulW

New Cyberknife M6 FIM can shape the radiation beam
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:29:26 pm »
Accuray have just released a version of the Cyberknife that has the ability to shape the radiation beam.
This should improve the ability of the machine to reduce damage to surrounding tissue especially with larger odd shaped tumours.

This is the first company to release a machine with this capability...
Apparently Varian the makers of Novalis TX have a similar product in the pipeline.
The makers of Gamma knife also have new products in the pipeline.

John Adler the inventor of Cyberknife has been working for Varian for a few years now, so should be no surprise that they will be releasing a machine with similar capabilities.

Improving technology should result in better results in the years to come.

Anyway Cyberknife with beam shaping is here, for those looking for a technological edge.

http://www.accuray.com/solutions/treatment-delivery/cyberknife-treatment-delivery/m6-series
http://www.accuray.com/pressroom/press-releases/first-patient-treated-worldwide-new-cyberknife%C2%AE-m6%E2%84%A2-system
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: New Cyberknife M6 FIM can shape the radiation beam
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:12 am »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing this! Always great to hear stride made in medical marvels! :)

I thought Varian made Trilogy? Am I wrong?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
Hi Paul;

Hasn't Novalis been using beam shaping and IMRT on ANs for quite a while?
   I guess adding CK enables other areas of the body to receive focal point radiation in fractions.
   Seems re, accuracy and shape tracing, it is nearly impossible to avoid some absorption beyond tumor boundries ( I've read up to 1.5 cm. ). It would be a small amount.
   At least shape tracing eliminates a possible cold spot.

Accuray have just released a version of the Cyberknife that has the ability to shape the radiation beam.
This should improve the ability of the machine to reduce damage to surrounding tissue especially with larger odd shaped tumours.

This is the first company to release a machine with this capability...
Apparently Varian the makers of Novalis TX have a similar product in the pipeline.
The makers of Gamma knife also have new products in the pipeline.

John Adler the inventor of Cyberknife has been working for Varian for a few years now, so should be no surprise that they will be releasing a machine with similar capabilities.

Improving technology should result in better results in the years to come.

Anyway Cyberknife with beam shaping is here, for those looking for a technological edge.

http://www.accuray.com/solutions/treatment-delivery/cyberknife-treatment-delivery/m6-series
http://www.accuray.com/pressroom/press-releases/first-patient-treated-worldwide-new-cyberknife%C2%AE-m6%E2%84%A2-system

jbbrown15

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:18:48 pm »
   Hasn't Novalis been using beam shaping and IMRT on ANs for quite a while?

I had radiation on a Novalis machine in 2010 and, yes, it used beam shaping.  The proponents of Novalis emphasized its ability to focus the radiation more exactly.
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:45 pm »
Hi Phyl,
Must admit a little confusion with all of these machines, which prompted a bit more research.
Novalis is a registered trademark of Varian
Novalis is a collaborative effort between BrainLab and Varian.
Brainlab provide the radiosurgical software, and the Multileaf Collimator.
Varian provide the Linear Accelerator, and image guidance.
So if you want the best machine from Varian to perform radiosurgery, its actually a Novalis Tx

To confuse things further Varian's, Trilogy, and older Clinacs can all be modified to run BrainLab Software and use their Multileaf Collimator. But they may lack the image guidance or other features available.

Beam shaping.
Yes this has been around for quite a few years now.
However existing Linacs like Novalis must apply the radiation in an Arc.
This creates limitations as to where the radiation can be applied from.
The radiation, because it is applied in an arc also tends to have a central hot spot.

The advantages of Cyberknife with Beam Shaping or IMRT is that the robot has the flexibility to shoot beams of radiation from many more angles and positions than a system restricted to arcs. More beams from more positions equals better tissue sparing.

Gamma Knife, Novalis, Trilogy, all apply radiation isocentrically.. That is, there is always a central focal point, for the radiation due to the way the radiation is always applied in an arc, or in the case of Gamma Knife a sphere.

Cyberknife is the only machine that can provide non-isocentric radiation. Its not restricted by it design, to be forced to supply radiation with a fixed central focal point. Advantages of this are a more even dose throughout the tumour and a reduction in total amount of radiation required to treat the tumour.

A reality check on beam shaping technologies also..
It sounds good in theory, but in smaller tumours, there is no advantage, in fact its a disadvantage.
They just cant shape the beam when it gets too small.

So thoughts of a custom made beam for your 8mm AN probably wont happen, as they can spare tissue better with just plane old circular beams.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!