Author Topic: Headaches caused by noise?  (Read 13388 times)

bruces

• The Dude Abides
Headaches caused by noise?
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:50 pm »
This is my first day here.  I have read most of the posts in the headache section but nothing found about loud noise.

I had Acoustic Neuroma remove from my right ear in DEC 2011. I am deaf on the right.   I never had any bad headaches until Sept. 2012 which was about 8 months post operation. The pain is on the right side.  It is a dull ache (not sharp) and has been ongoing for over 3 months.  I take one advil every 4 hours with good results.  The ENT said take the advil and also vicoden and see a neurologist.

It just occurred to me that the headaches started about the time I started playing my piano.  Although this was also about the time I tried to resume an active lifestyle (sports/tennis). I have stopped the tennis but would like to keep up with the piano.   I also like to sing along with my piano playing.  My grand piano is very loud for a piano. 

Anyone else have headaches triggered by loud noise or trying to sing?...... thank you
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:18:27 pm by bruces »
AN surgery 12-09-11
Translab/ AN was 5mm x 13mm x 7mm
Right SSD (deaf right)
UC Davis Hospital Dr. Diez

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Headaches caused by noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:06 pm »
Hi bruces and welcome to this forum .....

So sorry you are having headache issues from loud noise.  It sounds like you may have a degree of hyperacusis (abnormal sensitivity to normal sound) in your remaining good hearing ear.

I am not a doctor, but I do have hyperacusis.  I also play the piano and sing.  It has been a somewhat frustrating experience in my journey with hearing loss, AN surgery with partial hearing saved, regrowth, second AN surgery with total hearing loss.  The best thing for me has been getting a bone-anchored hearing device (I have an Oticon Medical Ponto Pro).  My audiologist has programmed a music setting for me that essentially opens all frequency levels and that really moderates the discrepancy of sound input between the two sides of my head.  In certain situations (like movie theatres and loud brass music) I have a custom-made musicians' ear plug for my hearing ear that blocks the shrill high frequencies, that also helps.

I still startle very easily if there is a sudden loud noise, that was unexpected and it sometimes creates a headache for me, but it does not last very long if the noise stops.

Send me a private message if you think it would be helpful to talk.

Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011