Author Topic: AN Doc in Georgia  (Read 5179 times)

sidecar Kathy

AN Doc in Georgia
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:01:51 pm »
Hello,
My name is Kathy and I am new to this site. I have been a watching and waiting patient since 2007.  The day after Christmas I saw Dr. Doug Mattox at Emory Hospital in Atlanta. Dr. Mattox was recommended to me by my local ENT.   Has anyone seen Dr. Mattox and Dr. Olsen and were you happy with them or know of their reputation???  My AN is 1.7 cm and he is recommending Trans Lab procedure.  I've been reading about Retrosigmoid approach and I would like to know if there is a difference between the two?  The only symptom I have is a little balance issues (been a klutz most of my life) and bad tinnitus.  Thanks is advance for your answers.
Kathy

dawns

Re: AN Doc in Georgia
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:44:49 am »
Hi Kathy,

I am also new at responding to the forum; I've been reading for several months, but just now posting for the first time.  I was diagnosed with a 1.7 cm AN in October, 2012.  I’ve lost about 80% of my AN side hearing and have some very minor balance issues and mild tinnitus (may be more than mild, but I am use to it now).  I am in Atlanta and have consulted with Dr. Mattox; I have an appointment with Dr. Olsen in early January.  I have also seen Dr. Howard Chandler and Dr. Cerenko at Piedmont (Dr. Chandler recently was recruited to Piedmont from Baptist Hospital in Jacksonville, FL and is very well regarded) and have sent my records to House Clinic in LA.  All have recommended Translab for me as well (however, the main driver of the recommendation is that I have no useful hearing on my AN side now, so there is nothing to save).  I understand from my research, that Retrosigmoid is typically used to attempt hearing preservation.

From what I know, both Dr. Mattox and Dr. Olsen have excellent reputations.  I was also very impressed with Dr. Chandler and Dr. Cerenko.   

IndySkye

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:05:02 am »
Hello,
My name is Kathy and I am new to this site. I have been a watching and waiting patient since 2007.  The day after Christmas I saw Dr. Doug Mattox at Emory Hospital in Atlanta. Dr. Mattox was recommended to me by my local ENT.   Has anyone seen Dr. Mattox and Dr. Olsen and were you happy with them or know of their reputation???  My AN is 1.7 cm and he is recommending Trans Lab procedure.  I've been reading about Retrosigmoid approach and I would like to know if there is a difference between the two?  The only symptom I have is a little balance issues (been a klutz most of my life) and bad tinnitus.  Thanks is advance for your answers.
Kathy
Hello Kathy,

If you don't mind traveling to interview another team of doctors, I'd like to recommend Dr. George Wanna and Dr. Kyle Weaver at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville. I had my 1.2 cm tumor removed in a successful 9 hour surgery. They took their time and I did NOT lose any hearing or have facial paralysis. The retrosigmoid approach was used and I had a crainoplasty to close.

Best of luck to you!
skye

sidecar Kathy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:22:35 pm »
Thanks Skye and Dawns for replying back.  I have my appt. scheduled with Dr. Olson for 1-22-13.  After I got off the phone I was hit with the fact that this is really going to happen, UGH!!!!  I've been taking to someone that is post 8 weeks out and going to meet her and her husband on Saturday.  We live 2 hours from each other.  I have talked with her over the phone and it was great to talk with someone else that has or had AN.  I want to start a group in Middle GA (Macon and Warner Robins area) but don't know how to go about finding other people in my area.  There are 2 ladies that hold meeting in Atlanta but that is an hour and a half one way.  I plan on sending out to the House Clinic for a second opinion,  IDK if I want to go hundreds of miles to get another opinion.  With no family around to help (all live in CT)

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:09 am »
  There are 2 ladies that hold meeting in Atlanta but that is an hour and a half one way.

I'm one of those ladies ;)  Hi, Kathy, I just responded to your email, but wanted to say "hi" here on the forum also, so you know I'm here too...I know Wendy Menard is hoping to get a group going down closer to you, but don't think she's started one yet.  You can check with the ANA office to see if she has anything planned in the next couple of months.

And hello to you, dawns!  I see you are in GA also - would love to have you come to a meeting - I hope to have the next one in late Feb or early Mar...we have a numbere of folks who come that have used Mattox/Olson at Emory.  Also, please feel free to call me if you'd like...my number is on the ANA list, but send me a PM if you can't find it...

In addition to the Mattox/Olson team, quite a few here have used Bhansali/Javed.  We also have a cyberknife machine at Kennestone Hospital - Dr. McClaughlin is the man there...

Best to both of you,

Cindy

PS  Kathy, you don't have to travel to House to get their opinion.  They will call you once they receive your MRI report.  Many people have used this free service without ever going (or intending to go) to CA.  I happen to be one who did get their opinion and then did actually go out there for my surgery.
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sidecar Kathy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »
@ Dawns I have learned from Cindy J. that Dr. Chandler has moved to Atlanta.  My husband and I met Kristin (post 9 weeks from Trans Lab) and her husband Saturday.  Let me tell y'all that was so great!!!  Instantly connected with Kristin.  She was so forthcoming with telling me all she went through.  Def makes knowing what is ahead a little easier.  Though I know the road ahead is going to be bumpy hearing all Kristin said kinda makes it easier.  I highly recommend attending a local AN meeting or at least trying to meet someone that has had the experience.  It will help a lot!!!  I sent my MRI to House yesterday and I hope I hear back before my appt. with the Dr. Olson. 

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:36 pm »
You are SO right about meeting ANers!  Nothing like it!

Was great to talk with you the other day (and you, too, dawns!)!  Keep us posted about how things are going...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings