Author Topic: How soon is surgery scheduled  (Read 2799 times)

Shelley A

How soon is surgery scheduled
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:56:00 pm »
Hello all!  I was wondering how soon is surgery scheduled after the decision is made?  I was diagnosed in September and had my second MRI yesterday.  The tumor is growing and we have decided to go ahead with surgery because of my age and symptoms,  but don't have a date yet.  I am due to go back in March for VNG and ABR testing, plus meet with my "super ENT" and neuro guy.  I have been reading posts for the past couple of months and think the community here is great!  I am in the DFW area and would greatly enjoy any advice/info anyone is willing to share.  Thanks!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: How soon is surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »
Hi, Dave - and welcome!

Scheduling surgery is very situational and decided by the doctor's consideration of your need for the surgery and your input, of course.  Waiting six months before even scheduling surgery indicates that your tumor must be very small and your symptoms are not increasing which usually indicates growth of the tumor - and a more relaxed approach.  My AN was large (4.5 cm) when discovered and pressing hard on my brain stem.  My neurosurgeon was very anxious to operate (the only option at that point) and I was in the OR 3 weeks after my initial consultation.  It would have been sooner had not a false cancer scare arose during my pre-op testing that set back the surgery date by at least a week.  However, that was me, with a big AN and symptoms growing more severe by the day.  I suspect your situation is quite different but if surgery is your option of choice, I would want to move things along a bit.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.