Author Topic: eyelid weight removal?  (Read 3613 times)

AmberWI

eyelid weight removal?
« on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:57 pm »
Hi,
I don't actually have AN, but I had a parotidectomy that severed my facial nerve.  I had a nerve graft right away, but it has been a long 15 months.  I had a weight put in my eyelid last November.  I have found a lot of very useful information on the "Facial Issues" part of this website. 

Because of the nerve graft, I have movement in my face - but also synkinesis and eye issues.  I do blink some, but my eye is still very problematic (lots of drops, ointments, glasses, and patches!)  My facial retraining therapist believes that I can have the eyelid weight taken out.  However, my surgeon is wary of that since she doesn't know of anything else that can be done to help the eye issues.  I am wondering if anyone has had the weight out and had good or bad experiences they are willing to share.  I wouldn't want the weight taken out and want it back in again!  The weight is not awful, but I would prefer to have it out if it isn't needed anymore.  Thanks.
Amber

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: eyelid weight removal?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49:52 pm »
Hi Amber: I would listen to the surgeon & not be so quick to remove the weight. I will never be able to remove my weight due to permanent facial paralysis, but removal is possible & should be based on your ability to fully blink.
I would think (for me), the problem would also be when you lay down to sleep, that your eye is able to remain fully closed to protect the cornea during sleep.
Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: eyelid weight removal?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:41:49 pm »
I would weigh the opinion of your surgeon over that of the therapist. My surgeon told me that I would be begging him to remove my weight much sooner than he would agree to do it. (So far I don't want it out.) If you take it out too soon, you will be going back for another one (I don't think they can put the same one in again once removed) and that will mean two extra surgeries.

Patience, grasshopper.

Best,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13