Author Topic: best gamma knife centers  (Read 19705 times)

keithmcgowan

best gamma knife centers
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:42:37 pm »
I would like to know what hospitals in the U.S have performed the most, and are considered the best in gamma knife radio surgery.  Names of outstanding doctors at these hospitals would be helpful.

rupert

Re: best gamma knife centers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:39:59 pm »

Try this link to get you started.   First class.

http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/imageguided/gammaknife/index.html

kmr1969

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »
Keith,

I ended up having surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincents, but I had seriously investigated Gamma Knife and met with Gamma Knife experts at the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Lunsford, the University of Virginia, Dr. Sheehan, and the University of Maryland, Drs. Eisenberg and Kwok.  I was impressed with all of them.  They all were very experienced with the order of experience being Pitt, VA, and then MD.

Good luck with your research,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

robinb

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:30 am »
Has anyone been to NYU Langone for Dr. Kondziolka since he moved there? Gamma Knife Suite along with other things destroyed during Hurricane. He is performing procedure either at Hackencack or nassau hospitals. I am not sure its worth the inconvenience. Plus, he is not set up to accept any insurance and his staff said may take another two months!!! So anyone that goes to him has to pay out of network costs. How are things at UPMC without him?
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

jfspainter

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:22:22 am »
I used a Dr Michael Brisman at Winthrop Hospital. He does his Radition at the Nassua Community Hospital in Oceanside Long Island Ny. He did not have my insurance which was Empire. But they did the billing through another doctor inthe office who did. So you might look at that angle. Google my Doc.
Good luck with your decision. Jane

robinb

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »
Thanks for info, but Iwas only going to NYC because Dr. Kondziolka moved there. I live in California. Since NYU Gamma Knife destroyed, plus insurance issues w/him there, I will likely go to UPMC for Dr. Lunsford. Now that I have made treatment decsion, just want to get it done asap.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

paul007ex

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 04:44:48 pm »
Hey guys - Wanted to see if anyone had any other experience with Gamma Knife. I was recently diagnosed with a acoustic neuroma inside the ear canal that is 6*4*4. My ENT says that surgery is really dangerous and is steering me strongly away from it, and towards GMK.

Anyone else want to share their experience.. here.. ? Does the clinic really mater that much? I mean, it's just putting your head and blasting photons via a computer, no? :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:08 am »
Hi, Paul ~

AN surgery carries risks because it is invasive but radiation treatment, while a lot easier to undergo, has it's own risks.  The ANA strongly suggests seeking a physician that has extensive AN experience, whether the approach is surgical or radiation.  It seems logical that a radiation facility that has treated many AN patients will have better technicians and equipment but the doctors 'mapping' the radiation are paramount to the process and the chances of a successful result (tumor dies). 

As an AN patient who was diagnosed with a large tumor (4.5cm) and underwent both surgery and radiation (FSR) that were very successful, my suggestion is to consult more than one doctor and be cognizant that doctors tend to have biases regarding treatment, although small ANs are often successfully treated with radiation.

Please try to stay connected to the ANA discussion forums and keep us updated on your decisions.  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »
My ENT says that surgery is really dangerous and is steering me strongly away from it, and towards GMK.

Anyone else want to share their experience.. here.. ? Does the clinic really mater that much? I mean, it's just putting your head and blasting photons via a computer, no? :)

Personally I wouldn't put a lot of weight into what your ENT is telling you.  You need someone more specialized when you are dealing with an AN - like a neurotologist.

Lots of docs who "knock" AN surgery do so because they personally don't do it - or don't know anyone else who does; same typically goes for docs who "knock" radiation.  You need an opinion from someone who actually treats ANs - and if possible, someone who treats ANs with both radiation and surgery so they aren't biased in which treatment they think is best.  Most people, unless size and location of their AN is a factor, generally have both treatment options.

As for what "clinic" you go to, Jim's right.  You should follow the ANA's suggestion and consult with a doctor(s) who has lots of experience in treating ANs.  The ANA has a list of Centers of Excellence and doctors on this website; it's a great starting point.

While some people will tell you that there is one best place (House is the place most often mentioned) there are numerous "best" places in the U.S.  I had my surgery in Illinois and my outcome was excellent; no reason for me to travel to California  :)

Do your research, talk to docs who treat ANs, then follow your head, your heart, and your gut.  That will help you decide what is best for you.  When it comes to an AN, one size doesn't fit all.  Surgery (my choice) may have been best for me, but radiation has been best for numerous others.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Echo

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 12:24:16 pm »
My Gamma Knife team consisted of my primary Neurosurgeon (who is fully qualified to do both surgery and Gamma Knife) a second Neurosurgeon associated with the Gamma Knife Center, one Radiation Oncologist, one Radiologist and I believe there was a Physicist involved as well.  All were involved in the planning of my treatment.  There was also a dedicated nurse who was there for me all day.  While the treatment itself is a lot easier to go through than surgery, there is a lot of planning, mapping and cross checking involved prior to actually having the treatment.   I think it's safe to say Gamma Knife involves more than "just putting your head in and blasting photons via a computer".

As Jim has said, both Gamma Knife and Surgery have their own risks. Regardless of the choice you make, I would recommend finding a team with extensive AN experience.

Cathie.   
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 06:10:57 am »
The University of Virginia had the co-founder of the Gamma Knife procedure (Dr. Steiner) who has since retired.  Dr. Steiner set up the Gamma Knife treatment center at UVA.  He has been replaced by a key team member that he personally trained on the GK procedure.  Dr. Steiner and his team, performed my GK procedure in 2003. 

Best wishes for a successful treatment! 
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 09:32:56 am »
My Gamma Knife team was from the excellent Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix:

http://www.thebarrow.org/Neurological_Services/Brain_Tumor_Center/Acoustic_Neuromas/index.htm

My experience paralleled Echo's:

"My Gamma Knife team consisted of my primary Neurosurgeon (who is fully qualified to do both surgery and Gamma Knife) a second Neurosurgeon associated with the Gamma Knife Center, one Radiation Oncologist, one Radiologist and I believe there was a Physicist involved as well.  All were involved in the planning of my treatment.  There was also a dedicated nurse who was there for me all day.  While the treatment itself is a lot easier to go through than surgery, there is a lot of planning, mapping and cross checking involved prior to actually having the treatment."
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0