Author Topic: Mid Fossa Surgery tomorrow....Out you go little alien!  (Read 9468 times)

Glenda

Mid Fossa Surgery tomorrow....Out you go little alien!
« on: November 27, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »
Well, after being in watch in wait since 2008 surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning....Getting rid of this little alien....I'll be so glad to be back on here as a postie and I'm praying that everything goes well!  I have the trusty Magic Scarf in my suitcase that is sure to bring lots of well wishes from past recipients.....Thank you all for the support you have given through the years!  God bless you all!!

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

kmr1969

Re: Mid Fossa Surgery tomorrow....Out you go little alien!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:48 pm »
Good luck, Glenda.

I just got back from my visit to House and so far I am doing well.

You are in good hands and I will say a prayer for your speedy recovery.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:16 am »
Glenda .....

Although you probably will not see this until you are a postie, my thoughts and prayers are with you today for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

DHJ

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 04:33:31 pm »
     Welcome to postie land Glenda.God Blees you.  peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »
Hurray!  You are now a postie.  How are you?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Glenda

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:41:29 pm »
Hi all!!  I am a postie!!  I'm having alot of dizziness and headaches at this time as I had good hearing before and now the nerve and hearing is gone.  It feels like I have a blowing ball on the side of my head with all the pressure.  The weather has been cold and dreary so have not got to get out as much as I would like.  It is suppose to be better tomorrow so I hope I can get out and walk around more.  Still using a walker or holding on tight to my husband.  I surely do hope this goes away soon.....  How are you other recent posties doing?  I must admit it is worse than I expected but I guess I set my sights high.  They tell me to take it slow.  Would love to hear from the rest of you and hope you other recent posties are doing GREAT!!!

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:16:53 pm »
Thanks for the update. Congratulations postie!! It sounds like you are progressing normally. I also held on tightly to my husband or son when I walked around in the beginning. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:54:48 pm »
Glenda ~

Although it may not seem like it, you're about where we all were at one week, post-op.  I had a splendid recovery but didn't feel steady for at least two weeks, although by that time, I was driving again (with my surgeons permission of course).  During recovery I 'pushed' myself a bit and was very motivated to get back to normal, understanding that I would have a few limitations.  I do, but nothing that really affects my quality of life, excepting the SSD, which I've adjusted to and isn't a huge impediment.  Trust me, you'll be O.K., in time.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Glenda

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:14:54 pm »
Thank you Jim!  That makes me feel better!  The first week was terrible but I can tell a difference in the headaches and feel like I will get better.  The dizziness is still really bad but I will probably start some vistibular therapy next week so I am sure I will be on the way to being much better.  I will be SOOOOO glad to wash my hair.  I feel so greasy....Staples come out Monday and they said I can wash my hair after that.  I know I will adjust to the SSD in time also.  I am alive and Blessed!!

Thanks!
Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm

SSD tinnitus dizziness

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
Glenda .....

So glad the surgery is behind you now.  It seems like you are doing well, considering everything.

Ahhhhhhh, that first hair washing feels soooooooo good!  That, alone, should make you feel better.  And, the dizziness will get better.  Try to walk, rest, rest, walk, rest, rest, walk, etc. several times a day and it will improve more quickly.

Continuing thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

kmr1969

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »
Glenda,

Congratulations for being on the other side of surgery!

I have been back home, Maryland, for 2 weeks and will be 4 weeks post surgery on Wednesday.

All I can say is that you will feel better everyday.  Don't expect any sudden improvements as it has been a gradual process for me, but I do feel a little better everyday, and so will you.  Especially once I finished up all of the steroids, I started to feel a little more clearness in my head.

I am up to 2 1/2 miles of walking and have driven some short distances while mainly avoiding the highway.  I still have some pretty significant numbness on the right side of my face, still using drops in my eye, and of course working on getting back my full smile, but overall I am optimistic about how things are going.

I still am sensitive to crowds and loud situations and tire quickly - all of my Christmas shopping is being done online this year.

Just really take it easy and do your best to balance activity (walks, rehab exercises, etc.) with lots of rest.  If I push things too much I end up with a pretty good headache.

Best wishes for an easy recovery.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

Glenda

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:15 pm »
I'm back, I went to get the staples out and they put me back in the hospital for a cerebral fluid leak.  It dripped a couple of times while in the Dr's office so to be on the safe side they admitted me.  Good news is they monitored it and it ended up healing itself.  Lots of prayer was going up by family and friends!  They were going to do a lumbar drain but one of the interns misdiagnosed which saved me ;-)  After the Dr got there and realized he had made an error the drip had almost stopped so they decided to monitor and after the Dr's conferred they decided to hold off on the drain.  After 3 days I was sent home and told to come to the emergency room if it started again.  Thank God it only dripped once when I got home and has been fine since.  Scary but Thank God it healed.  That set me back on getting home so I just got home this week.  Walking better, slow but better.  I have an appt. for vestibular therapy on Dec 31st.  I am off the steroids.  Headaches come and go,  some days I don't have any and some days they last about all day.  Hoping that in time they will go away completely.  Not driving yet, still too dizzy but I know it will get better.  I had done some shopping before surgery but like you Ken I have finished online.  Ken, you said you are up to 2 1/2 miles walking, are you walking by yourself at this point?  I would love to be walking that far but don't feel too steady by myself yet.  Sorry I had not updated earlier but I was without a virus scan and just got it installed today. 
I am so glad to have this over with!!
Merry Christmas to all!!!

Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm

SSD tinnitus dizziness

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:18:00 am »
Oh my, Glenda .....

You have had quite a time ..... sorry to hear that, but glad things seem to be back on track now.  There seems to be no rhyme nor reason why these CSF leaks happen.  Glad yours stopped without more aggressive action!

Rest and take it easy over the busy holiday season, walking when you can, but do not push to reach a specified distance at this point.  The important thing is to listen to your body, not try to match what someone else was able to do.  It takes a long time for the body and brain to heal from this particular surgery.  As for the dizziness, the speed of recovery is directly related to how much your brain had compensated before surgery, as opposed to suddenly having to adjust post-op.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

Glenda

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »
Thanks Clarice!

I am gradually getting better, headaches are almost gone, only occasionally now and not severe like they were.  The dizziness is getting better but still pretty bad, I had pretty good hearing before surgery so it hit me really hard to lose everything with surgery.  I start vestibular rehab on Monday so hoping that will help, and I still tire easily which I think is because of the dizziness.  One thing that is really wierd and I don't think I have seen anyone post this but I have numbness in my bottom.  I started not to post it, don't mean to sound ugly but it is starting to worry me a bit.  They told me not to lay flat because of the cerebral leak so I have an adjustable bed and sit in a recliner when not up during the day so I thought maybe the numbness was coming from having to really sit all the time when not walking.  It has been like this since surgery though.  I mentioned it to an intern but she had no idea and said to mention it on my next visit if it didn't go away, it may be a little better.....have you ever heard of this before?  Also there is still some swelling, fullness and roaring in that ear.  Does this get any better?  Thanks for the input!

Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm

SSD tinnitus dizziness

nftwoed

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
Hi Glenda;

Re; "swelling, fullness and roaring in that ear", yes; It will get better. The roaring is likely due to the hearing loss but should diminish with the edema and aural fulness. It may not completely disappear for a time, however.
  Re; Feeling numb on the bottom, I've never read of that occurring to anyone.