Author Topic: Surgeons in Alberta, Canada  (Read 3879 times)

mobius10

Surgeons in Alberta, Canada
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:09:29 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with an AN of around 2.5 cm. I have been reading and researching a lot about the topic, and something that caught my attention was that in almost all the information I found they warn about being rushed into surgery by the doctor. That happened to me, the doctor said that the surgery has to be as soon as possible and he didn't gave much information about options or alternative treatments. So, I am kind of concerned about the experience of  the doctor that is seeing me. What do you guys think? Do you know any renowned AN Surgeons in Alberta, or Canada.

Thank you so much for you information. I would immensely appreciate it.

tenai98

Re: Surgeons in Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:46:09 am »
Hi Diego and Welcome.
I'm from the Ottawa area.  Another member, Donna-Lynn is from Alberta.  It is always best to get a second even a third opinion.  At a certain size, surgery is recommended.  (not really sure on limit of size for radiation)..My AN was 2cms at time of surgery and they were only able to remove a small portion of  it.  I do know that several Canadians went to Dr Akagami in B.C.   Keep researching and asking questions.  we are all here for you. 
Joann ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

mobius10

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:02:57 am »
Hi Diego and Welcome.
I'm from the Ottawa area.  Another member, Donna-Lynn is from Alberta.  It is always best to get a second even a third opinion.  At a certain size, surgery is recommended.  (not really sure on limit of size for radiation)..My AN was 2cms at time of surgery and they were only able to remove a small portion of  it.  I do know that several Canadians went to Dr Akagami in B.C.   Keep researching and asking questions.  we are all here for you. 
Joann ;D

Hi Joann. Thank you so much for replying to my topic. I would like to search for a second or third opinion, but do you know how is that process? How could I get to see a doctor in a different province? Thank you so much!

opp2

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »
Hi Diego,

Welcome to the forum, I too am sorry that you have an AN but pleased that you found the web site. I am from Ontario, north west of Toronto. I saw several surgeons here in Ontario, Dr Akagami in Vancouver, and I had a telephone consultation with Dr Friedman of the world renowned House clinic in Los Angeles.

To get to see a doctor in another province you need a referal from your physician. You also have to live in a province that has a recipricol agreement (co-pay kind of thing) with your provincial health insurance.

As far as the referals go, you have the right to ask for 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions in regard to the treatment for your tumour. It's your head, your future and your decision what to do. Research it and find a surgeon you want to see or go to, and then go tell your family doctor that's where you want to go.

Make sure you keep reading the forums for information, but beware, sometimes all the reading and research can be overwhelming. I guess the best piece of advise I have for you is, it's not a race. You have time.
All the best,
Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

mk

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:51:59 pm »
Hi Diego,

you have come to the right place here, there is a wealth of information. Joann and Nikki are right (hi ladies, long time no see  ;), first and foremost don't rush. Your AN is on the medium-bordering large size, but these tumors are typically slow growing, and generally not considered an emergency at this size (unless of course an experienced doctor says otherwise).
I am not aware of anyone who had surgery in Alberta (although I think there was a lady who had FSR-radiotherapy for her AN in Calgary). But we haven't heard here of any experienced surgeons in Alberta. Toronto is considered one of the major centres in Canada, and of course Dr. Akagami is very well known in BC and quite a few of us went there. You can certainly ask for referrals for out of provice, hopefully Alberta has reciprocal agreements. Referrals may take time, but this should not discourage you.
Please see also my response to your PM.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mobius10

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:05:06 pm »
Hi Diego,

you have come to the right place here, there is a wealth of information. Joann and Nikki are right (hi ladies, long time no see  ;), first and foremost don't rush. Your AN is on the medium-bordering large size, but these tumors are typically slow growing, and generally not considered an emergency at this size (unless of course an experienced doctor says otherwise).
I am not aware of anyone who had surgery in Alberta (although I think there was a lady who had FSR-radiotherapy for her AN in Calgary). But we haven't heard here of any experienced surgeons in Alberta. Toronto is considered one of the major centres in Canada, and of course Dr. Akagami is very well known in BC and quite a few of us went there. You can certainly ask for referrals for out of provice, hopefully Alberta has reciprocal agreements. Referrals may take time, but this should not discourage you.
Please see also my response to your PM.

Marianna

Hello Marianna,

Thank you so much for your information. I asked my Family Doctor to make a referral for me to Dr. Akagami. I really want to be seen by him, or at least receive a second opinion. I will keep you guys updated of the status of my request and anything else related to it.

Thank you so much for your information. Your support guys has been wonderful. I really appreciate it.

Diego.

Peter325

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »
Hi Diego,

The day you posted this I was getting my AN removed by Dr. Akagami - I'm four weeks post op right now and I am very happy with the results. Single sided deaf but no other major complications. I'd definitely encourage you to research your doctors and your options. I think the one thing I felt that I had control over was who was going to be digging around in my head and I think it's likely one of the major factors as to whether or not you have a good outcome. If you decide on surgery you want someone who does this type of surgery regularly. Prepare to wait though, I was diagnosed in May of 2011, didn't get to see the neurosurgeon until Nov of 2011 and didn't get surgery until Oct 2012 and that was because I took a spot that was offered to me last minute due to a cancellation. The speed with which you get seen here in Canada largely depends on the severity of your symptoms, so don't minimize anything - it's funny how many symptoms I had that I didn't really attribute to the AN until I'd read about them on here and had a better understanding of how it was affecting me.

Anyways, good luck, I hope everything works out for the best.

Peter
Diagnosed May 2011 with a 2.8 x 2.6 x 2.5 cm right side AN - Surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on Oct 9th, 2012 - SSD and some minor balance issues - no noticeable facial weakness.