Author Topic: Diagnosed with AN than re-diagnosed with a Retention Cyst  (Read 2140 times)

anijoy

Diagnosed with AN than re-diagnosed with a Retention Cyst
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:19:34 am »
Hello,
I was diagnosed on 9/18 with an AN on 9/19 Dr changed my diagnosis to a retention cyst.  I have all symptoms of an AN.  See an ENT on 10/10.  Should I get a second opinion to confirm diagnosis?  Also does anyone have fainting, severe balance issue and ear pain with there AN?  Those are some of my symptoms.  Along with exhaustion.  Like some opinions.
Thanks,
Anijoy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Diagnosed with AN than re-diagnosed with a Retention Cyst
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:05:25 pm »
Hi, Anijoy ~

Welcome.  Were I in your situation I would definitely seek another physician's opinion.  However, I would ask the doctor on what basis he changed his diagnosis.  To the best of my knowledge (I'm not a doctor) a retention cyst and an acoustic neuroma are quite different. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:55 pm »
Dear Anijoy,

I would agree with Jim always seek another opinion, particularly when the doctor changes HIS opinion.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »
I concur with Jim and Mike.

I didn't have the symptoms you mention, but everyone's AN Journey is unique - so my experience isn't necessarily yours.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

geexploitation

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »
Yes! Second opinion! Book an appointment or get on the phone with providers mentioned here in the forums.
=========================
41 mm x 24 mm x 28 mm probable AN diagnosed 1/10/2012.
Surgically diagnosed 7/9/2012 as TRIGEMINAL schwannoma and removed via retrosigmoid at MGH in Boston, MA by Drs. Barker and McKenna.