Author Topic: Just heard back from the Dr. and had to share!!!!  (Read 4255 times)

waypoint

Just heard back from the Dr. and had to share!!!!
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
Hello fellow ANers,

I been a wild 5yr ride since 2007.  Last week was my annual MRI scan with my annual followup with Dr. Chang in mid October next month. Well, these annual MRI have been nothing but stressful for me and I have been on this watch and wait schedule since 2010 (potential for regrowth on the left side and possible something on the right side, meaning NF2).  2011 results last year was "we'll continue to wait and see". So last week at the MRI center, I had my scan done.  It was somewhat a painful event.  They put on these headphones for music and then slid the cage around my head to keep it snug and then slid me into the chamber.  The brace was pretty tight and felt like my head was in a vice grip. It was uncomfortable but not completely unbearable, so I didn't hit the panic button.  I should have said something to the tech about it.  I left there with a CD of the images and a slight headache. Imagine wearing a hat that was two sizes to small.  That's how my head felt.  They said that they would get the scans and result to my Dr. Chang.

Friday was cloudy, rainy and all around gloomy outside. It was a quiet day at the office, so I popped in the CD to look at the scan.  I am no nuerologist, but I've been looking at my scans for 6 years now and felt like I had some sense of what I was looking at.  The more I looked, the more depressed I got.  I had convinced myself that the news would not be good, not at all.  At one point, I had to just exit the photos and set them aside.  I went home that night and talked to my wife. We were both depressed, but decided there was nothing we could do about it. The result would be in the Lord's hands.  That night we went out to a nice dinner at Pappadeaux and ending the evening praying together.  I awoke Saturday feeling better and not having the massive headache from Friday.  All weekend, I tried not to think about the MRI anymore, but morbid thoughts of getting my house in order kept popping in my mind. Things like, make sure everything is paid off, make sure all the passwords and accounts are up to date, make sure the Will is up to date... stuff like that.   I normally pray every night with my wife, usually asking for blessing and keeping me healthy and free of tumors and cancer,  but this Saturday night I asked God for something alitttle different, I asked God to grant me good results and to keep me free of tumors and cancer so that I may be around to take care of my wife, my family, and others.  They needed me. I prayed for them, not me.

Today, I was out at lunch when the Dr.'s office called. I sat there in the parking lot, ready for the news. The nurse said, Dr. Chang reviewed the MRI and said that there was no signs of the AN and all looked good.  I was in shock.  I asked her are you absolutely sure, maybe were you were calling someone else.  She said, nope, Dr. Chang said your scans were good, no signs of AN and we will see you in October for your appointment. Still in shock, I asked the nurse if I could conference call in my wife on this call. She repeated the same news with my wife on and you could feel the load lift from both our shoulders.  My wife was on the line crying while I sat there in the parking lot, tears of joy flowing down my cheeks.  Giving thanks to the Lord from this wonderful news. 

If I could take off the rest of the day, I would have.  I came back to the office and was so happy that I had to share the news here with my fellow ANers...

What is the takeway from my long message?  No matter how many MRIs you've taken, don't think you know what you are looking at. In fact, don't look at them.  Let the professionals do their job.

I pray everyone on here has good outcomes...  Thank you all for reading.

2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Just heard back from the Dr. and had to share!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:13:12 pm »
Waypoint ~

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your good news and the astute recommendation to not attempt to 'read' your MRI images...let the doctor do it and possibly save yourself a lot of stress. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

skipg

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »
Thanks for the sharing the good news and lifting up my faith. We serve a miraculous God and this shows it. I rejoice with you
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:40 am »
Waypoint-
That is such great news! And isn't it neat that the nurse went ahead & called you instead of making you wait until October?? I think that's God right there saying, "My son needs a little peace & reassurance RIGHT NOW!" God is good...ALL the time!

;D

PS - We still need to get together!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 03:03:18 pm »
Waypoint,

Thanks for sharing the good news God does answer prayers! Keep up the faith. It truly heartens those of us who pray to hear such good news!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 03:41:54 pm »
Waypoint
Great news!  And thanks for the reminder to keep the faith & let the professionals do their job.  I'm going next week for my first follow up MRI after CK so I need to remember to not "jump the gun", wait four days ( patiently  ;) ) for my appointment.
Congratulations!

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:43:57 pm »
Congrats on the clean MRI, Waypoint - and I agree with you; let the professionals read the MRIs.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jackie

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 11:58:07 pm »
Many Congratulations coming your way Waypoint!! It's always so thrilling to be a part of God's miracles!!! We all just love to share in the Blessings!! Thank-you for letting us be a part of your journey!!

Continued Blessings for you and your wife,

Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:40:38 am »
Hooray!!  It's wonderful to hear your news.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.