Author Topic: After GK, with a substantial hearing loss before  (Read 2868 times)

nftwoed

After GK, with a substantial hearing loss before
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:21:01 pm »
Hi;
   Did anyone have a hearing improvement?
   Who lost the remainder of the hearing 2 or 3 years later?
   Thanks!

PaulW

Re: After GK, with a substantial hearing loss before
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »
My hearing loss happened quite quickly and I got treatment quickly too.
I had single session CK which in many ways is similar to GK.
My hearing has improved since treatment.

It improved ever so slowly.
My hearing low point was not being able to sense the direction from where sound was coming from and having not much more than faint distorted noise in my AN ear. That was a day before CK.
Over the next 3 months my hearing became useable again. At two years my hearing was almost totally back to normal. My AN ear tested slightly better than my good ear, in low mid frequencies but worse in the high frequencies. I have had 3 bouts of sudden significant hearing loss. Two of them took me from GR grade 1 hearing to GR grade 3 and the most recent took me from GR grade 1 to GR grade 2. my hearing then slowly recovered over the following months.
I am nearly at 3 years and my hearing is currently OK. And still classified as normal. It's not as good as my good ear, but I really don't notice the difference except in noisy bars
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

nftwoed

Re: After GK, with a substantial hearing loss before
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:19:06 pm »
Hi Paul;
   That's an amazing story! Did you have any word discrimination at all that ear pre Tx?
   Course, I've NF-2 and all outcomes of anything are somewhat lower.
   Dr. said he's never seen an NF2er's hearing bounce back as the nerve has been damaged so much. Also, the cochlea. Especially the cochlea as one only really needs 10% of the auditory nerve for a cochlear implant to work. Question is; How long will one work given progessive tumor damage?
   As long as I'm losing it anyhow, I had considered asking for 30 session FSR. One must not allow more than 2.8 gy to the cochlea. Course, regular 3 - 5 session CK would fall close to that limit.

For some reason, auto spell check is not working using IE 9 tonight.