Author Topic: Just diagnosed  (Read 6595 times)

Alison

Just diagnosed
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:01:20 am »
Hi,

I've been reading the posts on the forum for the past couple of weeks and thank you so much for the information. I've been so impressed with the support and generosity of people sharing their experiences.

I've had the results of my MRI (without contrast, I'm in the UK and they don't seem to use it often, although the scanner was 8 years old) and it has been confirmed 1.4mm x 10mm x 8mm or 1.8mm (I was a bit shell shocked when my ENT doc rang so not sure about the last measurement). It is into the cerebellopontine. I'm awaiting a copy of the report for more details.

I found it helpful to read people's symptoms when I was comparing mine before diagnosis, so I'll list my bunch for the record. My symptoms have been 24/7 dizziness and imbalance for the past 3 months, now with nausea and worsening  tinnitus whooshing sound, and full feeling in my left ear, very little hearing loss, occasional left sided facial twitches and shooting pains around ear. The dizziness/balance has got gradually worse and I don't leave the house unless I have to as I feel like I'm drunk and am bouncing on moving pavement. I also have a fast pulse rate.

Three years ago in 2009 I had a numb feeling around a blocked left ear on waking. This lasted for some months, but it eventually stopped, oddly after an unsuccessful ear syringe for wax. I was a singer in a band in the nineties and used earplugs in the left ear to be able to hear myself over the loud PA systems in London venues. Probably unconnected.

For the ladies out there, I'll add that my symptoms started after I reluctantly took a 2 week course of progestin tablets for abnormal peri menopause symptoms, prescribed by my gynaecologist which resulted in traumatic blood loss (another story, now put on hold, whilst I sort the brain out ). But that could be completely coincidental, although I've read a few posts about possible hormone links and some research on hormone receptors in AN tumours.

Being in the UK I now have to wait for an appointment on the NHS with the neuro and ENT surgeons who do the AN ops in Bristol at Frenchay Hospital, the nearest centre to me. They only hold the AN clinic once a month so could be a long wait.

As my dizziness and tinnitus have worsened in the last month I am concerned if this is a sign the tumour's growing and pressing more on adjacent nerves? Nausea is a recent symptom as is a queasy tummy. But then I'm worried sick. The doc suggested stemetil (prochlorperazine) but it is a dopomine antogonist with side effects, so I'm against that.

I've read some of the surgery vs radiology options and am pretty scared and confused, especially about not always resolving the dizziness/imbalance. It seems radiotherapy does not address balance problems so probably not an option. I could live with loss of hearing in the left ear but am concerned about post treatment facial problems and headaches, leaks etc. Aren't we all :0)

So thank you for reading this rather lengthy first post. Any comments on the symptoms, size of the tumour and treatment option/experiences would be gratefully received. I fear I never get my balance back? I think the team in Bristol prefer the retrosigmoid approach. Wikipedia lists disadvantages as:

The retrosigmoid approach may require cerebellar retraction or resection. Manipulation of the cerebellum provides opportunities for postoperative edema, hematoma, infarction, and bleeding.
Increased incidence of cerebrospinal fluid leak occurred in some series.
The retrosigmoid approach is associated with greater likelihood of severe protracted postoperative headache.
The highest incidence of tumor recurrence or persistence occurs with retrosigmoid approaches.

Many thanks

Alison

CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

yaya

Re: Just diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:48:22 pm »
Hello Allison,

Sorry to hear that you as well have been diagnosed with an AN. I am too new here. I was diagnosed back in February (I think) and my ENT said that it was on the cerebellopontine angle(need to do some research on that) on my right side. My doctor said it is still very small and would probably just watch & wait or maybe do radiation therapy depending on what my MRI results are compared with the ones from February. MY MRI appointment is this Friday so am anxious of what this will show. For now I don't seem to show any symptoms and my tumor was found early(28yrs old) and by accident so they told me that is very good. A year ago blood tests showed that I had slight high prolactin level and my endocrinologist sent me for an MRI to rule out the possibility of a tumor in my pituitary gland. When I went for results he surprised me with not having a pituitary tumor(which I was preparing for and had researched a little and thought it wasn't so bad of a surgery, if needed), but an AN.  I had another MRI done that confirmed the diagnosis. I did a little research on AN, but I think it scared me a little of what I found and so I just kind of tried to ignore it. I am now trying to find out what I can and try to make a decision in what treatment to take whenever it comes the time. It has been hard the last few years of going to the doctors for different reasons and getting probable diagnosis and then this come just out of no where. Never thought I would be diagnosed with something like this.

Am sorry for babbling about my self and for not being able to add much helpful informaion, just wanted to share a little about my case. Thanks for reading.

I wish you the best and a prompt recovery to your normal self. :)
- Clau

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »
I think the team in Bristol prefer the retrosigmoid approach. Wikipedia lists disadvantages as:

The retrosigmoid approach may require cerebellar retraction or resection. Manipulation of the cerebellum provides opportunities for postoperative edema, hematoma, infarction, and bleeding.
Increased incidence of cerebrospinal fluid leak occurred in some series.
The retrosigmoid approach is associated with greater likelihood of severe protracted postoperative headache.
The highest incidence of tumor recurrence or persistence occurs with retrosigmoid approaches.

Alison -

if it helps at all, I had the retrosigmoid approach and experienced none of these disadvantages.

My surgery was in May 2007 and my last MRI - done in April 2012 - showed no tumor recurrence.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Alison

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:19:13 am »
Hi,

thanks for the responses. I've posted several other topics since this, which was my first post over a month ago, although it feels much longer that I've been researching into ANs! I've since had some very helpful replies and generous messages of support from fellow posters, so a big thankyou!

The latest update is that I'm currently waiting to see the oncolgy dept at my nearest treatment centre in the UK to discuss SRS, which was recommended by the neurosugeon. I'll post another update when I learn more and hope any information I can add will help other newly diagnosed, and any other UK based newbies, who are researching treatment options and outcomes. 

Best Wishes,

Alison 

CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Alison

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:24:50 am »
Hi,
forgot to say to Clau, sorry you've been landed with this so young, but if it is still small after your MRI, then you have options. I know there are other young posters on here and people who have been treated in California who can offer advice about treatment near you.

Good luck with the MRI on Friday,

Alison

ewchisek

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:02:35 pm »
hi. i was just diagnosed yesterday.  I live in michigan and really do not know where to go from here. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

LakeErie

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:45:00 pm »
EW, try google: Michigan Ear Institute as a starting place. There are several good options in Ohio as well. Keep reading here and you will learn much more. Get the information offered by the association, too.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:01 am »
I've read some of the surgery vs radiology options and am pretty scared and confused, especially about not always resolving the dizziness/imbalance. It seems radiotherapy does not address balance problems so probably not an option. I could live with loss of hearing in the left ear but am concerned about post treatment facial problems and headaches, leaks etc. Aren't we all :0)

Alison

Hi, Alison:

Your balance may improve over time after treatment, although it will probably not fully recover. About 25% of the people who receive CyberKnife radiation (CK) at Stanford University Medical Center in the U.S. experience an improvement in their balance after treatment. But even with another type of treatment given elsewhere, your brain will likely adapt somewhat over time and your imbalance will probably decrease somewhat.

Radiation generally offers far less risk of facial paralysis and headaches and zero chance of cerebral spinal fluid leakage compared to microsurgery. It sounds like you're researching stereotactic radiosurgery, a good move IMO. SRS generally gives good results for medium-size tumors such as yours and avoids some of the potential complications inherent to microsurgery on a tumor your size located in the IAC and CPA.

In case you haven't stumbled upon this yet on this forum, here is a link to a thread comparing surgery with CyberKnife and GammaKnife radiation treatments (see my post about 1/3 of the way down the page):
http://anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=6670.0

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

ewchisek

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »
has anyone been to the Michigan Ear Institute?  I have heard great outcomes with Dr. Kartush, but went to make an appointment with his and he is on medical leave? so, now I feel like im back at step one with trying to find a good doctor.  i know I need the surgery, obviously I want the best