Author Topic: In need of reassurance.....  (Read 6846 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: In need of reassurance.....
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 06:56:53 am »
Does your therapist office give you a good visual reference of horizontal while doing PT? We are essentially retraining our combined vestibular system to work together with the new "normal". I reached a plateau with regular PT that I couldn't seem to get past.....and it wasn't good enough....I still had problems. When I first took up standup paddleboarding I'm sure I looked like a complete kook...falling constantly. But over time it brought my balance back to near normal. My theory is that the broad flat horizon combined with an over the top struggle for balance retrained my systems to know where up and down was. But I still don't see much discussion of the idea for PT. My theory gets a test every once in awhile....I've been on the ocean quite a few times when heavy fog rolled in...when the horizon disappears and the ocean blends into the sky my balance suffers drammatically. Maybe ask your PT to place a strip of tape along the wall for you to focus on while doing balance exercises....can't hurt...might help immensely.
Last weekends Cape Cod Bay Challenge started off in heavy fog....I struggled through it and didn't feel really in control until the fog burnt off.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

ombrerose4

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »
As everyone has said, progress is very individual. Everyone heals at a different rate and you cannot compare outcomes so soon after surgery. Anything less than 6 mos is early in recovery, so just take a deep breath, keep doing your vestibular therapy and time will help you heal.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

millie

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 06:47:49 pm »
Dear Susie-
I am having surgery translab on October 17th. I have been very concerned about the wonkyheaded feeling and the feeling of being off balance which have grown these last five-six months.  I believe I have been told everyone's balance has to be worked on after surgery; with my husband's heart surgery, I was told to never compare patients' recoveries.  Each body recovers in its own time.  The  neurosurgeon who will work on me  also said one day, months later, I would wake up and feel pretty darn good!
Looking forward to that!  We will pray for us all.
Mil