Author Topic: My Book -- Hell In The Head  (Read 16400 times)

Keri

Re: My Book -- Hell In The Head
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 06:18:07 pm »
I ordered mine and am awaiting its arrival.. it will likely come the middle of this week!

Keri

G-Man - my friends, Lloyd and Judy, asked about you last time they attended a NFB meeting. I think it was in Dallas this summer. Did you go?
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:34 am »
I've been side lined by the end of summer & kids. The book has traveled many miles in my backpack (I was in the car 33 hours in a 2 week time period!) but since I was driving did not get to read. Hopefully I'll get to pick it back up after I get everyone settled in their new classes!
Always a mom first!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

G_Man

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 05:51:04 am »
I've been side lined by the end of summer & kids. The book has traveled many miles in my backpack (I was in the car 33 hours in a 2 week time period!) but since I was driving did not get to read. Hopefully I'll get to pick it back up after I get everyone settled in their new classes!
Always a mom first!

;D
Kaybo
     Didn't go to Dallas.  I might go to Orlando next year.  Hard to say right now.
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

It is what it is

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 06:39:27 am »
I'm just now starting to get back to reading more posts since surgery on 8/1 and am thrilled to hear about your book.  As soon as I post this I plan to order it.  Thanks!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 05:30:58 pm »
Just finished this book about 30 minutes ago.

Two biggest (personal) impressions I got from it:

1)  thank God my doctor wasn't like David's in the sense that he gave me complete and absolute disclosure - along with statistics - of every little thing that I could possibly expect from surgery.  Even the side-effects that I had an extremely small chance of encountering he felt he had to tell me about.  Scared the sh*t out of me, but he felt it was necessary since (in his words) he sees a lot of people that went to other doctors who didn't tell them what could happen.

2)  I also agree with David that vestibular exercises should be done both pre and post op.  This was something that my doc prescribed as soon as I made my surgery decision and I've not heard of others doctors doing this.  Did it make a difference in my balance issues which are extremely small?  I'll never know, but I'm thankful I didn't have to find out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »
Thank you all so much for buying the book, reading it, your kind reviews, your Amazon reviews, and for playing such a major part in the story.  As I have said many times on this Forum and in the book, the book would never have been written had it not been for all of you on the Forum.  And had I never found you all I would be stumbling around in the dark with a crooked smile trying to figure out what was going on.  To give you a little perspective, the book actually started on here as I told the story of my recovery (to that point).  A lot of you seemed to enjoy my writing which lead to the article in the ANA newsletter which, two years later, resulted in writing a book.  So I have to thank you all for that beginning.  And to answer some of your questions about a Kindle version, I'm working with an old-fashioned publisher who believes a book is a book made of paper and print.  I'm sharing with them these comments and will encourage them to step foot into the modern world.  I do know that they are hesitant due to the formating costs and the different book numbers and their ROI experience.  I'll keep at it.  In the meantime, thank you all very much for your support.  It is very much appreciated.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

It is what it is

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 12:26:19 pm »
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.  Congratulations!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »
You'll find that the book is a pretty quick read.

Those of you who are waiting for a Kindle version should just buy the printed version.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

G_Man

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:07 pm »
David
   I just sent an e-mail to the people at NLS BARD inquiring to see if "Hell in the Head" can be made into a Talking Book that would be available to blind people everywhere in the US.  I'll let you know if anything comes of it. 
   The procedure is probably that I have to provide 2 copies of the book.  I'd gladly do that so that I can read it and give other visually impaired people access to it.
G_Man.
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

sarahinPA

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 11:32:32 am »
David,
I will be ordering this book this weekend with some other Amazon purchases. Thank you for sharing your story, not only to us, but to the world.

Im excited to read it, and learn about your journey!

Im also happy to support another Pittsburgher in the process!!!

Go Steeler!!!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

wendymenard

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »
David your book was great...I really like how you were blunt and to the point about this devil in the head...I gave mine a name EARL...I kicked his ass to do curb but he left his mark on my face, my neck, my head LOL I am 10 months post op...so I am in therapy for facial retraining and about to have BOTOX injections...from your book I read they hurt like hell..:( Anyway just thanks so much for writing this..I have endometriosis as well and I have thought about writing about my journey with both...
Retrosigmoid approach Oct 25. 2011  2.5 cm tumor on hearing nerve touching facial nerve and brain stem. Experiencing several post op issues but staying positive and creating my new normal

grace

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »
Hi David, I too have written a few books and am writing this  AN journey and some medical background info too and what Iam personally finding out and it is alot.. I was hoping you can tell me how you found a publisher , how much it costs and how you got it on amazon b/c I have another one sitting on the shelf waiting to get out but unaware of how to do it the right way and to get it done so I am not using my last cent on it. Any info you give me will be so appreciated, these books are spiritual and for self-help,  and years of research and I would love to add to them and get them out since this has me home alot now... and would lift up many who read them... I think I can get the ISBN  did you or was that done for you? Sincerely appreciated, Grace

LADavid

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 04:13:57 pm »
Hi Grace  I'll send you a private message since the answer is somewhat involved.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sidecar Kathy

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 07:05:50 pm »
I can't wait to go on Amazon and order the book.  Thanks in advance David for writing it. 

opp2

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 04:28:05 pm »
I got mine last night...picked it up and read half of it already today...David you are a very good writer, and I'm enjoying your story.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.