Author Topic: What's that dizzy feeling really like?  (Read 5079 times)

hjtru

What's that dizzy feeling really like?
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:31:34 pm »
I am 3 months post proton therapy.  I have transient (sometimes not so transient) periods of what I'd call lightheadedness.  I'm not really dizzy - the room does not spin or anything -- it just feels like I am a little bit tipsy or like I got up too quickly.  Usually it is while working at the computer, and look up to see someone walk into my office, but sometimes it is just plain random.  Has anyone else had similar symptoms?  I'm not asking for dizziness, that's for sure, but sometimes I wonder if I am imagining things!

MaryEBS

Re: What's that dizzy feeling really like?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:34:08 pm »
Hello hjtru,

No you are not imagining this.  I had CK 6/11 -6/13 and I experience the exact thing you are describing... no spinning rooms... almost feels like the roll of a ship... like a wave.  I get it sometimes when I turn my head when I am walking or if I bend over and stand up quickly... and sometimes for no apparent reason.  Almost like your head is in slow motion when your body is moving at a normal pace?  For me this developed after CK.  As I understand it the radiation makes the AN swell and as  result of the swelling you can experience symptoms that you did not have before.  I like to think that it is a sign the CK treatments did what they were supposed to.  Wishing you all the best.

Mary

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:34 am »
My guess is that the swelling is pushing on your balance nerve.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

akoo

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:20:12 am »
Same here... I had my FSR on a Novalis 28 sessions completed in Jun 2010. The initial six months after, I experienced what you mentioned. On and off...
Even after the initial 6 months, I still get periods of "lightheadedness", can be from days to weeks. Sometimes, headaches too.
I have yearly MRI scans and the tumor remains stable, so doctor did not really pay much attention to my complaints. I guess as the vestibular nerves slowly degenerate, like the acoustic nerves, some sorts of confusion to the brain is inevitable. But at times, it can be quite bad... so I just have to learn to stay positive.
AN Diagnosed 28 Apr 2010 - 26x19x18mm
Radiosurgery 24 May to 1 Jun 2010 - 50.4 Guy, 28 sessions
MRI on Jan 2011 - 26x19x16mm
MRI on Jan 2012 - 26x18x16mm
MRI on July 2012 - 25x18mm