Author Topic: Bad taste  (Read 11285 times)

madison

Bad taste
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:39:36 pm »
Hi everyone...thank you for your replies to my posts. Surprisingly, the facial paralysis I can deal with...the numb tongue is another story. The right side of my tongue is numb, so aside from feeling like I am perpetually at the dentist...the worst part is the taste in my mouth.  Nothing seems to help.even when I chew gum!  It's a little better, but then it's back immediately. Does anyone else have this, or have you heard of it. I hope it goes away eventually. I could actually deal with everything else, but this is horrible! I can't describe the taste..it's like orajel or just morning breath..ewww..sorry, but that's what it feels like.anybody know of anything that might help?thank you in advance. :P
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Bad taste
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:31:29 pm »
Sounds like you have metallic mouth - often a side effect from surgery.

I had it myself post op. 

It's hard to say just how long it will last, but it generally goes away in time.

Hang in there.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:35:36 pm »
I have the same taste.  Gum helps, but for a very short period of time.  And, I have to hide the gum from my husband or else he'll chew a pack in one hour. 

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

PamJ

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:14:12 am »
Hi Madison I also have the bad taste I had my acoustic neuroma removed by the translab approach 15 months ago and cannot get rid of the taste but I do find a breath freshner keeps it at bay longer than chewing gum, the right side of my tongue also feels as if a dental injection is wearing off. The good news is I had really bad facial palsy and it has improved about 80% it seems to be just the corner of my mouth now and round my eye.  But every day everything improves a tiny bit so on a positive note I have no tumour so feel extremely lucky.  I have been assured everything will return to normal but it's just taking its time.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

madison

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:14 am »
Thanks.at least I know it's not just me this is happening to, so I feel a little better about that.not that I wish it on anyone!  I bought the biotin mouth spray that I read about on here in an old post, and it does help.it's so hard to be patient...my surgery was only 6 weeks ago, but it feels like an eternity.I know I have a long way to go. I start work next week(part time and half days to start).i think it will help me to be back in the swing of things.  Then I can get ready for surgery #2  :P. (meningioma removal probably in February) . Thanks for your posts...this forum keeps me going since I know there are people out there who can relate to what I'm dealing with each day.
multiple meningiomas

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:55 am »
Sounds like you're doing quite well for 6 weeks post op and returning to work part-time, rather than full-time to begin with, is a wise decision.

When I went back to work I started with half days and was very glad I did.  My post op fatigue was tremendous and I found that working in the morning and going home in the afternoon to nap helped a lot. 

Take it easy, listen to your body, and ease back into your job.

Best,

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LizAN

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:28:06 pm »
Madison,

You are not alone in having the bad taste in your mouth post-op.  Mine is improving now - it has gone from terribly bitter to somewhat bitter and salty.  For the first few weeks, I had a Jolly Rancher candy in my mouth most of the time, to override the bitter taste.  Now I don't require it and I prefer not to indulge in so much sugar.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

madison

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 06:23:36 pm »
Hi again!
Unfortunately, the taste has gotten worse! I'm trying to think positive and keep
Telling myself its just a reaction of the facial nerve healing. I have seen slight improvement, but I hope I can smile again someday.  At least my eyebrows are pretty even now. I just bought alto ids, biotine spray, gum, and tic tacs.
Nothing really helps anymore...I'd rather be in pain than have this..it's really bad now. I just need to vent to people who understand.thanks!
multiple meningiomas

PamJ

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 02:36:00 am »
Hi Madison I do feel for you it's horrible, it's nearly 18 months since I had my tumour out and I still have the horrible taste, mine seemed to get worse before it started to get better but it's still there.  I have found out different things I eat make it worse as well especially any acidic fruit pears, apples etc so I avoid tthem.  I was talking to a lady recently and she had the bad taste for two years so I'm still hoping mine will go.  I see the professor who removed my tumour in October so I'm going to see if he can come up with any suggestions.  Pam
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 08:46:47 pm »
When I had "metallic mouth" someone told me that zinc would help.  I took it and the problem was resolved.

In all fairness though I'd had it for quite a while before I took the zinc, so I'm not sure if the zinc worked or if it was just my time to get over the problem.

Regardless, taking zinc won't hurt you - and it may just help - so you might want to try it.

Jan

madison

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:01:26 pm »
Thks!I'll give it a try. I will give anything a go right about now! I keep rinsing my mouth with
Listerine and I'm just keeping lots of gum and mints handy! Thanks, I'll let you know if it helps.
multiple meningiomas