Author Topic: Insurance and approval prior to surgery  (Read 7605 times)

It is what it is

Insurance and approval prior to surgery
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »
Oh my!  I just learned from my insurance company that they have not prior authorized my surgery scheduled for 8/1.  I had understood through HEI that everything had been approved.  My insurance has turned it over to their medical review board and will not tell me when they will reach a decision.  I am now delaying my departure for L.A. and anxiously awaiting their decision.  Gulp!!!!!   :o

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Insurance and approval prior to surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:06:57 am »
Karen .....

Just now seeing this post of yours.  Did you call HEI and talk with your contact person out there?  They were very helpful to keep me informed all the way along.  What are they advising you in LA?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:25:45 am »
I had been told all was approved.  Now they are quickly faxing to my insurance everything the insurance company is now requiring. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:33:51 am »
The medical review board expedited their review and just called to tell me the surgery was approved.  What a relief!  We had to cancel our flights since we'd planned to go a few days early, but maybe driving will be better anyway.  I'm at peace again.   :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:41:30 am »
I thought it was odd that HEI told you it was approved and then insurance company said it wasn't.  Glad it is all resolved!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
Thanks Clarise!!!  Me too!   ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 01:35:04 pm »
Karen ~

I'm so glad that this worked out O.K.  Thoughts and prayers go with you to Los Angeles.  Be safe.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:13:00 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I have greatly benefited from reading your responses to others.  I hope all is well in your world?

karen

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 03:12:58 pm »
Karen,

I am so happy for you that  your insurance is worked out.  What a relief for you.  Now you can focus your energies on  your surgery and recovery.  You are in great hands with your Dr.'s.  I had the best experience at House.  If you have any question or would like to talk on the phone before you leave, I would be happy to listen and help you in anyway.  I'll message you my number.
You're almost there and before you know it you'll be on the recovery side.  You can do this! :-)
Your in my thoughts and prayers!
Best wishes!
Wendy
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 03:26:34 pm »
Wendy, thank you!  Your message was so positive and caring.  What a tremendous gift to have all of you who have gone before willing to share your wisdom and experience with us newbies. 

In appreciation,  :)

Karen