Author Topic: Problem falling asleep  (Read 4410 times)

BlueSky

Problem falling asleep
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:19:53 am »
When I lay down in a dark room to fall asleep I feel like I have a small amount of vertigo. Not anything awful, just if I had a few drinks before bed. Anyone else have this or have tips as to how to make it better?

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Problem falling asleep
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:00 am »
I used to have it horribly. Oftentimes had to sit up in my easy chair. Never found a solution.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06:59 am »
I used several pillows and slept sitting up for a while.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:16:30 am »
Hi BlueSky,

I also sleep with two pillows.  Try sitting in bed and slowly work yourself into the sleeping position.  This might give your brain some time to get used to the different environment.  If you don't watch TV in bed, perhaps a book to use up the time as you try to make the transition.  Of course reading could make you dizzy as well, but work on the transition from an upright to a lying down position as gradual as possible.  I also recommend asking your doctor about going on a diuretic, I found it helped me.

God Bless.

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:19:01 am »
Hi Bluesky,
Try having a night light.  The brain learns to compensate visually.  I noticed if there was fine light, I could visualize the room before I closed my eyes.  I knew what was up and down because I could see.    This really helped my vertigo.  Also try elevating and pillow propping your head.  Unfortunately, when you close your eyes it's dark and vertigo can occur.  It takes time for the brain to adjust.   I hope it goes away for you real soon.
Take care.  =)
Wendy
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:30:56 pm »
Bluesky,

I used to have this problem too! As Wendy mentioned it helps to have night lights several of them in your room. That way you can see the wall and not have to remember to feel for it. Also, with balance training your feet will become much more sensitive at least mine have!

For a while I kept touch lights around so when I touched them they automatically light up. One problem, you keep on having to get batteries for them! Although it's a hassle and requires some compromise on the part of your husband/wife/partner, you can come up with something. My wife actually prefers my turning on the light to my falling down and making a racket at 2 in the morning!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!