Author Topic: UPDATED HEARING AIDS Phonak Cros-link anyone got one? I DO !!!  (Read 28910 times)

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
Phonak Cros-link anyone got one? I get mine this week but wanted to hear about it. I was surprised it was the most expensive I had to choose from and Tri-Care still paid for it.

I had my AN removed Feb of 2005 I have never felt better I had very little nerve damage to my face, only lost my hearing and balance on one side and a few small numb patches. I was a lucky one.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:43:35 am by Nate the PC Tech »
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

Boppie

Re: HEARING AIDS Phonak Cros-link anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 06:56:36 pm »
I've queried this subject two or three times on here.  No anecdotal  reports have come through.  I sure would appreciate your reports if you could keep us posted.  The only advice I've gotten from hearing aid users is that you must give the new appliance an honest workout and keep it on every day until you adjust to it.  ...sort of like the saying, "It takes 21 days to develop a new habit".  Please keep us posted.

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 05:02:11 am »
Hi Nate,
I do not have one but am considering getting one if it turns out I'd benefit from it.  Please let me know how you like yours.  I was told they are about 3500?  My insurance of course declined to cover any of it.  Just curious why did you pick the cross aid over the baha?

thanks,
Michelle

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:00:09 am »
The Baha is to much work to keep clean and all that the cros-link seemed perfect since I only need it for work and the rest of the time i dont have to listen to my wife lol :P The BAHA I liked at first but when I saw how much care it needs, I felt it I would do that Im just a lazy person. Ill keep everyone posted when I get my aid i get it soon im so excited lol ;D ;D
at age 21yo
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:30:06 pm »
Nate,

I agree about the cleanliness/maintenance issues.  Picture this...getting my hair done in the beautician's chair in the nursing home, or worse getting a yowie scrub down in the shower bath in my room.  Caregiver says, "What's this screw thing?  Take it out!"  I say, "What thing?"  I mean, like it or not, this too and worse could come to pass. ;D 

I'd rather just have an appliance like everybody else wears in or behind the ear.  Uretha said, "You have to think about these things!"  :D

Static

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:20:02 pm »
When I was still working, I wanted to look into getting a CROS but my insurance wouldn't pay for any of it and they are really expensive.  I still am interesting in hearing what other people who have them think since I haven't put the thought totally out of my mind.  Maybe I can get assistance somewhere out there.  I agree with the thought of the CROS over the baha.  Don't th ink I'd want another surgery and something sticking out of my head! lol
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 01:25:46 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I CAN HEAR AGAIN, I got my hearing aids and WOW I didnt think I lost so much hearing, the Phonak CROSLink is awsome. I just got them about 2 hours ago and im still trippin on the sounds I can hear,

Pros- HEARING 110%, weightless I can hardly feel them, I can still hear fine from the good ear, even with the Aid receiver

Cons- Delay there is a slight delay at first but not enough to effect anything,

This is my update for the first day I will keep you all posted on progress. Im very happy with them there is no dout. The total cost was $3,450( TriCare Prime paid for it for all you Military Dependants, I was surprised it was the exspencive one) well off to play with my new aid more any questions feel free to ask ???

Bye for now
Nate ;D
at age 21yo
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 01:36:55 pm »
Nate,

I agree about the cleanliness/maintenance issues.  Picture this...getting my hair done in the beautician's chair in the nursing home, or worse getting a yowie scrub down in the shower bath in my room.  Caregiver says, "What's this screw thing?  Take it out!"  I say, "What thing?"  I mean, like it or not, this too and worse could come to pass. ;D 

I'd rather just have an appliance like everybody else wears in or behind the ear.  Uretha said, "You have to think about these things!"  :D
You could just tell 'em "Oh, that's where I plug into the Matrix."
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 01:52:50 pm »
Nate,  Your Cros links both ears since you have hearing loss on GK side, right?  So does a unit sit behind each ear in your situation?  Do you have an In-The-Canal  bud too?

And we want to know how it works in a group setting.  We are so lucky to have this opportunity to get your reports.  I am so excited about this.  If the manufacturers only knew!  ;)  $$$$$$$$$$$ 

It would be great if these would work well enough for SSD.

I remember trying out the BAHA head band tester last January.  The restaurant I was eating in had some sort of refrigerator or motor humming off to my AN side.  I could hear it quite well and crisply but I was still not able to say it was from my right or left.

I didn't get to test the BAHA in a crowd.

Boppie

Re: UPDATED HEARING AIDS Phonak Cros-link anyone got one? I DO !!!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 01:57:02 pm »
Deb, "Oh, that's where I plug into the Matrix." ;D

Cool Grannies do happen!  But I might forget and tell the caregiver to throw my unit away.  My kids would need to carry the BAHA unit in with them and plug me in when we needed to talk.

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 02:04:06 pm »
I have SSD on my Right side, perfect hearing in my left. It is a behind the ear, and there is molds for in the ears aswell the mold on the left does not effect the hearing. Im going in a few to group test it I will post later tonight the results. When I have it on the sweet spot I dont get any humming at all, unless a strong wind is blowing the mute button works for that. Over all im still very satsifed with it. ;D
excuse the bad spelling im a horrod speller to many chat rooms growing up lol
at age 21yo
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo

Obita

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 04:00:46 pm »
Nate: 

I am anxious for another update.  This is very exciting and I am so happy for you!!

Any chance you can tell where sound is comming from with your new aids?  SSD would be so much easier to handle if I could just locate sounds again.  (I miss you left inner ear :()

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

cookiesecond

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 07:04:55 pm »
Nate,
This is awesome! I am so happy for you. I look forward to your updates.I have talked to my Dr about the Cros. I do not want another surgery!Sometimes I think I have adjusted to the ssd and sometimes it really bothers me...
Take care,
Lynn

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 07:20:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing Nate..keep us posted on how you like it!  I'm hoping to qualify for one ;o)

Desilu

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 07:37:55 pm »
Hi Nate,

I am really excited for you and glad to know that your new "aid" is working well for you. I have a good friend who might be very interested in this device. Please keep us updated and let us know all the pros and cons. Thanks, for your informative posts? Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger