Author Topic: CyberKnife Treatment Journal (Stanford)  (Read 25347 times)

Bobette

Re: CyberKnife Treatment Journal (Stanford) - SIX MONTH UPDATE!
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »
Hello All,

Yesterday I had my six month checkup at Stanford Hospital.  It consisted of a hearing test, 55-minute MRI and meetings with Doctors Chang and Soltys. 

My hearing test showed that my hearing levels were unchanged, but my speech recognition is now 40% instead of 80%.  The audiologist said that conventional hearing aids would not work for me at this level, but there are other options for me.  Dr. Chang was not concerned at all about the hearing change and said my hearing could improve in the next six months.  I will have another hearing test in July. 

BUT, the great news is -- my MRI showed a black dot in the center of the tumor, and it is slightly smaller than in July!!!! 

The doctors said I am on track and they are very happy with the results thus far. 

Back to Stanford again in six months.  I am VERY happy!

I feel great - I still have tinnitus, but it seems milder these days.  My balance seems fine, but I did a "walk the line" test and although I didn't fall, I wonder what a police officer would think.   ;)

Bobette

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: CyberKnife Treatment Journal (Stanford)
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 02:27:17 pm »
Hi, Bobbette ~

Thanks for the great six-month update!  It's reassuring to learn of how well you're doing in such a short time from your radiation treatment.  Many your healing continue at this good pace!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cindyjarrett

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 02:49:37 pm »
Bobbette,

That sounds fantastic.  So great to hear such good news.  I had gamma knife on October 12, 2012, and go back in April.  Praying my MRI shows the same thing.

Cindy
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

skipg

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 03:56:56 pm »
Congratulations Bobbette, may your journey be smooth sailing from here on out. I go back for an MRI in March. Finished Proton in November.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Petrone

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 11:22:28 pm »
Great news, Bobbette! I have GK scheduled in 2 months and I hope it goes as smoothly as yours. 

Best wishes,
Petrone
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

robinb

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 03:25:10 pm »
Congratulations, thats great news.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

ash

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »
I'm happy for you Bobbette. You are lucky to live near Stanford, my cross country trip was well worth it. My speech recognition also dropped, my tinnitus is worse and hearing worse. But really happy I still have hearing in that ear since I'm deaf in my other one. My 12 month MRI will be in May and hope to see more necrosis. The closer it gets to the MRI dates naturally the more it is on ones mind. Good luck with your next six months and hope to see your positive post on your next MRI. Also good luck Skip with your MRI next month.

Ash
Born deaf in left ear, Diagnosed AN in right ear 2/1/ 2010 4 x 3 x 2mm; 8/1/2010 4 x 3 x 4mm; 9/1/2011 6 x 4 x 4 mm; 3/1/2012 8 x 4 x 4mm; Recommendations: U of Penn-GK; Stanford-CK; NY-CK; Cooper-Novalis; Pittsburgh-GK; HEI- still waiting ; Treatment: Stanford-CK 5/10/2012 (Dr. Chang, Dr. Soltys)

miparent

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 10:20:49 am »
Just want to thank everyone for their posts and willingness to share.  Thanks, Bobette, yours have really helped me because my case seems similar.  I, too, am going to Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys--scans are scheduled for Tuesday, April 2, with GK treatments the following three days.  I am so ready to get this done so I can start the recovery process!  My tumor is 2.1 cm and is actually on the 10th cranial nerve--the vagas nerve instead of on the 8th which is the acoustic.  Dr. Chang said it is treated basically the same, though.  I don't know how that will influence the side effects that I will have.  My major symptom is hearing loss--almost total in the right ear and slight balance issues.  But I wish you all continued good luck and will post again when I am a "post-toastie!"

Bobette

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 06:06:55 pm »
Hi miparent,

I have been thinking about you.  Please let us know how you are doing.  Are you from the Bay Area?  Maybe we can get together and chat.

Bobette