Author Topic: Learning to Kick your fear to the curb!  (Read 4855 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Learning to Kick your fear to the curb!
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »
To all of My AN friends, ANgels and all of the Newbies who unfortunately are here and dealing with the reality of our shared diagnosis,

My story is a long one it all starts in October 2011 at Dr. Sisti's office (NY Presbyterian) where I had the diagnosis of a regrowth of the AN, all I was thinking of was the Annual Train Show that the nursing home puts on in December and I didn't want anything to ruin it.

Fine,we would deal with it in January. The Toy train show goes off without a hitch and January arrives! I go into the Doctors office prepared to nuke the little bugger but the Doctor's personality and mine clash. That night instead of praying about it. I get up sleepless and launch into a ridiculous scenario of missed cues and innuendo. February roles by, then March, then April I am in total fear by this time!!! I am not myself. I am angry and exhausted......My family and I finally decide that because of my procrastination it would be best to postpone doing something till June after my wife and daughter come back from their vacation. They and I fear to some extent the protracted chain of events that happened after the 2004 AN surgery in which I was in the hospital for 3 weeks came home and was bed bound for months (not a good scenario). Culminating with a new diagnosis in 2005 that I was a traumatic brain injury patient. Enter the ANA forum in February, little by little I come out of my fearful shell by being a faithful forum member with the inspiration of David Wrubel's Forum topic "God and Acoustic Neuromamas"

You loyal people you!! You saved me from going off the deep end, you kept me from sinking into the dark quagmire of depression. It is you people who taught me to pick myself up, go for another opinion or two and then decide and let the rest be in God's Hands.

In April and May I became prayerful and learned to master my fear and kick it to the curb, I was not "poor Michael" any longer! I replaced "poor Michael" with "Strong Michael" and kicked him and my paralyzing fear and dreadful dreams out.

I encourage all newbies not to give in to the fear of your unbridled dreams the fear of the unknown, I encourage you to master your own fate, face up to it and stare it down! It is not easy but it can be done by being prayerful or meditative. To be sure both can be done separately and surely it is easier to do them both at the same time. It is more difficult to do one without the other but I recognize that not all of you believe in God.

Those of you who do not can choose to meditate on your greater health....DO NOT PROCRASTINATE as I did. ACT!!!! Do something creative or useful as you Watch & Wait. Do research on your chosen course of action take up a hobby.

If I inspire others to not wallow in self doubt, then that is worth it! You are strong you CAN MAKE IT!!!

Again I want to thank all of you that read this post. If I can't give back once in a while, what is the sense to life? Go forth to Happiness on your own road to wellness.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Learning to Kick your fear to the curb!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:03:56 pm »
Mike ~

Well put...and equally appreciated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:58 am »
Thanks for sharing!
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

MDemisay

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:50 am »
No problem ;D I'm getting stronger and stronger it seems just a little neck pain though (mostly when I get tired at the end of the day)!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

MDemisay

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:57 pm »
To All of My AN buddies,

If by kicking this up to the top again causes upset by some of you, I am sorry but I'm really trying to help all the newbies here to realize that you are not alone, we on the ANA forum are here to help you to kick your fear to the curb, fear will paralyze you and cause you not to act!

Do not wait as long as I did or ignore symptoms that get worse or become more frequent "listen" very carefully to your body, it will give you subtle clues like dizziness, sudden falling or hitting door frames!

Do not watch and wait too long! I regret my ignoring my symptoms, because I ignored my symptoms, I had to settle for surgery. Never settle! Act while it is still small!

Mike

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:50:09 pm »
Thanks Mike.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 05:37:00 am »
Mike

Thanks for sharing this. 

As we know, each AN journey is very unique to each individual, so each person has to react to their own unique AN journey based on multiple reasons for their own well being.  One way is certainly not perfect over another person's journey and we know your's has been a tough road.  Thanks for noting that everyone should listen to their bodies.... totally agree... and yet, everyone has to respond in their own unique way.  Unfortunately, in the AN world, what works for one may not necessarily work for another.... but, keep those good wishes going for all of our AN Family.  We all need it! :)

Phyl

To All of My AN buddies,

If by kicking this up to the top again causes upset by some of you, I am sorry but I'm really trying to help all the newbies here to realize that you are not alone, we on the ANA forum are here to help you to kick your fear to the curb, fear will paralyze you and cause you not to act!

Do not wait as long as I did or ignore symptoms that get worse or become more frequent "listen" very carefully to your body, it will give you subtle clues like dizziness, sudden falling or hitting door frames!

Do not watch and wait too long! I regret my ignoring my symptoms, because I ignored my symptoms, I had to settle for surgery. Never settle! Act while it is still small!

Mike
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MDemisay

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:27:13 pm »
Phyllis,

I believe your job must be hard, you have to deal with hardheads like me!

I have taken a long while to think of a response. I certainly hear you!Let me tell you , I'm not setting myself up for praise here....By no means, I'm just analyzing step by step what I have done and just realizing it was so wrong of me to have missed so many cues looking back.....In fact, I have made many, many mistakes by missing cues in my life that a normal person would have said innately....."something is happening to me, why am I falling so much (each time I fell I thought it was because I thought I am overweight)? Is this because of my strokes?Why is my hearing so bad? Why didn't I go the distance with the CAT scan the first hearing test? Why? Maybe because it was easier to solve the problem the first time with an expensive hearing aide rather than to look more deeply into the problem. Luckily for me, I lost the expensive hearing aide.

My wife and daughter asked me to go for another....

Perhaps, I was blocking the obvious by saying that this option had happened to me before (brain operation). This could not possibly be happening to me again! It was just to incredible to believe! Lightening does not strike the same place twice! But there I was in 2004, with the incredible oddessy of looking for a brain surgeon on my own (interviewing 14)and finding again and again and again that there was only one way to deal with my AN I spent 3 months of my life doing nothing but research (not swimming) and here I am now.....After a successful journey with the help and assistance of all of you here on the ANA Forum!

I believe there has another reason for me to be discovering the ANA Forum so late in the game! The reason I believe is this DON'T BE LIKE ME! TRUST YOUR GUT! Listen to it! Often times it knows best! Don't watch and wait too long, ACT! Radiate your AN while it's small!

Mike