Author Topic: Post Gamma Knife Procedure  (Read 2093 times)

vsfunkhouser

Post Gamma Knife Procedure
« on: June 15, 2012, 02:26:51 pm »
On June 5, 2012 I posted asking if anyone had experienced the same symptoms that I had following the Gamma Knife procedure... I received one response and appreciate her willingness to share.  Just wanted you all to know that although I have been experiencing some "negative" side effects or symptoms such as additional loss of hearing, balance issues and some dizziness... good news is that the tumor is responding to the radiation.  Due to the symptoms my neurosurgeon ordered an MRI and it was confirmed that there was some swelling within the tumor and definite signs that the tumor is responding to the radiation.  Unfortunately, it has affected my hearing.  They are trying a round of steroids but they tell me that it is not likely that the hearing will improve, however, it is felt that the balance/dizziness is temporary.  I feel very much encouraged by this news and wanted to share it with all of you who are having post GK symptoms!  Good News... the tumor is responding!!!!  That is what I am choosing to focus on - the balance issues are not debilitating... and something that I can work on.  I have the hearing in my right ear! Hope someone is encouraged by this!

Mei Mei

Re: Post Gamma Knife Procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 11:52:11 am »
Thank you for contributing your comments on the GK procedure.    I often think back about how I would have been had I not done the surgery and done GK instead.    It's not supposed to be a good thing to look back, but it's only natural.   Please keep posting as your information is important to all of us in all stages of our sharing and dealing with the AN.

As for balance, I have been participating in Chen Tai Chi and Qi Gong and just last week, my teacher asked me to write up my experience as he has noticed much improvement in my balance struggles.   I found this class in our local county rec. dept and was lucky to have done so because that is just the very form of Tai chi that was recommended to me by someone knowledgeable in these things.

Keep on healing ...
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Dee-dee

Re: Post Gamma Knife Procedure
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:20:07 am »
By how much did your AN swell?  That's what I can't find on this site.  Mine has swelled 5mm.  Is this normal?

Thanks
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.