Author Topic: My Personal Gamma Knife Treatment Journal started June 10, 2012  (Read 56417 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: My Personal Gamma Knife Treatment Journal started June 10, 2012
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 02:57:37 pm »
Day 5----No new headaches just old headaches! Let me explain.....Last night was not as pleasant as a going away party for a long time employee who had given 34 years of herself to the organization.

All this around the time I first decided to postpone the original date of GK treatment from before my daughters graduation to after the mother daughter trip to London  on June 11th. Next week I found out that the Administrator's last day was June 15th(today).

To make a long story short this week was challenging for me physically and organizationally! The new Administrator steps up Monday at 8:00 am and begins a challenging chapter of cooperative leadership with me. The day after Fathers Day! Happy Father's Day to one and all!

For me it has been a long day!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

luckyone

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »
Congrats Mike... positive attitude is half the battle.

On April 3rd, I underwent GK myself and had my first MRI post treatment this week.  Not much to report, except the tumor does not seem to have grown further.  My balance issue has stayed constant, mostly good, but definitely not 100% like pre AN slapped me across the face on 3/3 this year.  Tinnitus has gotten a bit worse, but it's not as bad as my wife's nagging LOL.  Hearing loss has gotten a bit worse, again, helps with my wife's nagging.   So life is good.  The best part of finding out I have an AN, was gaining my faith back in God.  Although I was brought up Catholic, and I am in the process of converting to Islam.

Everytime I come to this forum I learn something new.  It looks as though your AN grew back?  Is it in the same side?

Take care,
Franck
03/03/2012 Lost partial hearing left ear
03/12/2012 MRI showing 0.8cm x 1.59cm x ?
03/13/2012 Diagnosed with AN left ear
03/13/2012 - 03/16/2012 Depressed like there was no tomorrow
04/03/2012 GK with Dr Duma @ Hoag
02/17/2014 Tumor stopped growing, shrank a bit!

MDemisay

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »
Franc,

Yes it is on my left side it grew from 1.3 to 1.7 mm But now, "Irv" is dead!

And I AM HEALED!

Mike

PS. Happy Fathers Day!
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

millie

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »
Mike!
You are an inspiration! 
I am praying along with you  and the others on this forum.
You  are making me think of other options besides surgery.  I am still learning, of course. 
Thanks for your strength and your sharing.
Also, be sure to get enough rest.  You've been through a lot.
Millie

MDemisay

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 07:29:37 am »
Day 6--Visible pin sites are not black and blue any longer, scabs have formed.Facial numbness is no different since before GK, smile appears the same. Now that "Irv" is dead. It is difficult to feel when swelling begins. I shall keep you posted as to when the pin sites fade. So far, so good!

Mike

MDemisay

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 07:45:44 am »
Millie,

Over the few months that I have been posting on the ANA Forum (you the forum members have been encouraging me). It is you who inspire ME! Back at ya! We have a wondreful opportunity here to be thankful for our fellowship and thankful to God that HE has brought us all together!

Mike

MDemisay

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:43:08 am »
Day 7--I am thanking God today for the little things in life that HE let's me enjoy; the family that surrounds me (my wife and daughter) the fact that I am a Father, my friends that I have made over the years, my extended family and all of you here on the forum.

I don't seem to have developed any symptoms yet from my GK and I know that when and if I do that you all will be there to support me through them.

I, After all, do realize that to be able to talk about it with you and to show you that it can be gone through and that there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

It is up to us to slow down, adapt and readjust to the chances that we've been given!

Happy Father's Day everybody! Grill em, if you've got em! Enjoy each others company! Smile! God loves you!

Mike

MDemisay

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 11:10:22 am »
Dear ANgels,

Day 8---No headaches, facial twitches or tinnitus yet. Although early this morning (6:15 am)I did hear a ringing in my unaffected right ear for about 30 seconds. Other than that everything including my mood has changed for the better? How long does this euphoria last? It's a good thing, I don't want it to stop!

Mike

P.S. Did everyone have a Happy Father's Day? I got a very coveted Jimi Hendrix T-shirt from my daughter!

Vivian B.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 07:53:33 am »
Hi Mike,

Your story is very inspiring. I like the author myself. I bought some books actually for my son to read as well. Your inspiration comes at a great time for me. I have my two year MRI next Tuesday post GK two years ago in Toronto. I am not as nervous as I used to be, thanks to everyone on this forum. I will keep you all posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

MDemisay

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
Vivian and all,

I really feel thrilled to have come this far....I really thought (in February) when I first considered the Gamma Knife that the symptoms were much worse....I thought at that time, with all the uneducated fear of a terrifying nightmare that I would be writhing in pain from tinnitus and looking into the mirror and seeing a relaxed left side of my face....No way did I expect to be in the good shape that I am presently! I feel great and am back to work full time with only a slight headache and two rapidly fading pinhole scars!

All this a week out! I couldn't believe just how easy it was! Despite the testing(blood tests and last minute mix up with an MRI being ordered instead of the routine CT with contrast). A far cry from what I thought would happen.

Of course nobody had told me that the machine was soundless or that it was not uncomfortable in the least. After they gave me the Ativan, injected me with  4 different needles and fit me with the ring it was over in a flash! 40 minutes!

Mike

MDemisay

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 07:57:52 am »
Life Does Go On,

As an example, in my struggle to document every day, I almost missed my daughter's 4 wisdom tooth removal yesterday as well as being present for the  High School Graduation of my niece! I made both though! I almost flew into a panic as I was travelling on Route 287 (in NJ) ,however. I just slipped in a CD of calming wave sounds and settled in to the slow traffic pattern of rush hour. I made it with minutes to spare before hearing her name called out.

That was my day yesterday no pain to report nor facial ticks or side effects. None today as well. Keep you posted!

Mike

MDemisay

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 02:33:53 pm »
Nothing to report.......Have a nice weekend all, I will be doing yard work ie. pulling weeds and getting sunburned on my back! And thinking about things NOT related to my DEAD AN!

Mike

Will get back to posting up lifting things and back to the gym on Monday!

LizAN

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 08:27:13 pm »
Mike,

Glad things are going so well for you, post-treatment!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

millie

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 08:27:42 am »
Thanks to your supportive updates, I am going to #1 go to church this Sunday morning (have not been a lot recently due to my husband's surgery and we are resting and catching up to normal life)  and #2 work in my garden!  I am also contacting three doctors this week (Roland, NYU; Sisti ? and Post/Smouha at Mt. Sinai.  I am going to get a new MRI and send all MRI  's (Feb and this next one) to each one and get an idea of what to do. (I have been busy with doctors for my husband and my mom and I also hope if I ignore things they will go away.) I think my symptoms are intensifying and my hearing is gone now in the left ear and everyone says "listen to your body." This week I will make appts. and write letters.    My husband is wary of surgery so I am now thinking seriously of gamma knife-and who may be best in NYC.  (We are on eastern LI.)  Your updates calm me down when I get really anxious. (Usually when I get the full-lightheadedness etc)  So  thanks for the gamma info  and keep it coming.
Enjoy the sunshine!
Millie

MDemisay

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 09:42:51 am »
Millie,

It is good that you have chosen for yourself the path which you will be following, I am truly happy for you. It is my hope that by being prayerful and by paying attention to the cues that our bodies give each one of us that we can correct any missteps that we may have made in the past by not paying attention.

Gamma Knife is but one way, all in all, I have given up on my left sided hearing and left sided balance issues but I have definitely not given up my attitude or my smile or determination that together we will persevere. This is a strong group (the ANA Forum) each of us was chosen to come here, I believe for a purpose. It is up to all of you to decide what that is.

I hope that all of you are preparing to have a pleasant summer and getting out there and making the most of your health.

I trust that all of you have had a good pain free weekend! I have been getting my yard ready for a summertime barbecue and have been weeding and mowing and spraying! I continue to have no issues of any import save a few facial twitches yesterday. I will report any changes but forgive me if I get distracted by the pleasant weather and the balminess of it all. Don't stay out in the sun too long, one thing Gamma Knife definitely does not provide is UV protection (LOL)!

Mike