Author Topic: My Personal Gamma Knife Treatment Journal started June 10, 2012  (Read 56558 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: My Personal Gamma Knife Treatment Journal started June 10, 2012
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »
No Skip! I just spent a quiet weekend at home. Went to Citi Field with my daughter last night to see the Mets lose 3-1 . Even in losing there is joy! Though as I tried not to fall going up and down concrete steps. It's amazing I did it. I have the final game  ,this Thursday,in the series of 5 that I bought in celebration of her graduation from college.

No symptoms besides some facial twitching to report.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

skipg

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:46 pm »
My last daughter (of 4) is in her final year of college. Congratulations on yours graduating and the thoughtful gift of the Mets games. I hope they do better Thurs. I start treatment on my AN Oct 8th. As long as the lights dont go out I am ok on the steps. I just go a little slow and blame a stagger on the crowd.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

MDemisay

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2012, 07:52:59 am »
Dear AN friends,

I haven't posted here in a long while, while I try to ubbeat and cheerful in my demeanor, there are times when I just lose my patience. One of those times seems to be going on right now! I have noticed the left side of my face twitching uncontrollably . This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I do not want to worry you newbies who may be reading this. They are limited (for the moment) to small facial ticks on my left side which take place mostly every morning.

All I pray for is that these symptoms don't get worse and I realize that they may, as I am in my window now where Dead Irv begins final necrosis.( Swells a little then shrinks) I hope these months pass quickly, and that there are more times when I feel hopeful!

I promise to keep you guys updated good or bad. I am hopeful that this is just a passing thing and doesn't become worse.

Continue to pray for me, please. Just a kind thought would do it!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

JWW

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2012, 08:16:11 am »
Mike, it is most likely swelling related to your AN being close to the facial nerve that is causing the issues. The swelling can effect the 5th nerve which can cause the face twitch. 

Sometimes, the med, dexamethason 4 mg. 3 x day for a couple of weeks resolves the issue.
(so I have been told) It should pass when the swelling goes down.

JW

MDemisay

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2012, 08:30:17 am »
Thanks JW! Is that over the counter?

Mike

JWW

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2012, 08:40:54 am »
No, your radiation oncologist should prescribe it.....prescription ONLY. It is a steroid, which reduces swelling on the nerve.

MDemisay

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
Dear JWW,

I am not looking to have more doctors visits. If I can I'd like to avoid them if I can. The only relief I seem to get is when I'm asleep. The rest of the time it is an annoying consequence of GK it seems.

Is there any facial massage I can employ or natural herbal substance out there?

Mike

JWW

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:26 am »
Mike, you need to call the doctor and maybe he will prescribe the steroids over the phone.

No herbal substance out there and I doubt facial massage will help reduce the swelling. Sorry.

JW

MDemisay

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2012, 02:26:04 pm »
JW,

Hope this announcement doesn't jinx it! But guys , I have had no facial twitches all day!

Mike

Bonnie B.

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2012, 09:02:30 am »
Mike,
I hope you have no more facial twitching.  I will keep you in my prayers.  However, I agree that if it continues, you need to call your doctor and get on some steroids.

Bonnie
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

millie

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 07:22:34 am »
Yay for you, Mike, and nay to the twitching.  From what I read, it must be a side effect-which will pass over time.
I have had bouts of depression too lately.  Don't give up and don't give in, I have to remind myself. 
Thank you for your prayers and support.
Blessings on you today, dear God.  Millie

MDemisay

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2012, 09:17:34 pm »
Shhhh everyone,

Hardly any facial twitches today...(Booyah)! My prayers are with you Millie!

Mike

skipg

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 04:23:09 am »
Mike (as I whisper), Twiches, stay gone and to Millie, keep looking up and stay positive. You are winning this battle in the mind. Our God is faithful to give you His peace.
It is a good Sunday morning to all!
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

millie

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
It's a great Sunday morning-and this afternoon the sun came out too out here on Long Island.Went to church this a.m. and the pastor suggested a great idea to help people in the community.  Instead of the formal rituals,  whenever someone has an issue, be it job loss, health worry, family reconciliation, new beginning, or another need  etc., we should call the pastor or deacon and they will gather in as small groups of three or whomever wants to for prayer for that intention...over at the side of the church.  I thought that was God talking straight to me since I have been anxious lately.
Thanks, guys!  Millie

It is what it is

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2012, 08:17:36 am »
Thanks for sharing your process.  It is helpful to hear the details in order to more fully understand this treatment option.  Hooray!!!   You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.