Author Topic: Question about disability  (Read 15595 times)

wendymenard

Question about disability
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »
Hey Everyone
I had surgery on October 25, 2011..I am 7 months post op. I am on long term disability until August...my surgeon thinks I will be able to go back to teaching in the classroom fulltime by then LOL I am laughing because I cannot stay in a classroom for an hour without getting fatigued, disoriented, and overwhelmed.. My facial muscles are still not working completely, the tinnitus is bad and gets even worse around kids..my neck, head, and shoulder stiffens up and hurts really bad when weather changes..I cannot concentrate on one thing for long without forgetting or getting tired..my thing is I am NOT reliable anymore to be a classroom teacher who has not help...I have a master's in education and I am still paying on that school loan too. My medical bills are still coming in and my husband and I are barely making the bills each month.My question is should I contact a lawyer to see what my chances would be to collect disability? Any info would be appreciated...thanks  :o :o
Retrosigmoid approach Oct 25. 2011  2.5 cm tumor on hearing nerve touching facial nerve and brain stem. Experiencing several post op issues but staying positive and creating my new normal

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Question about disability
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »
Hi, Wendy ~

I'm sorry to learn of your AN post-op issues that are negatively affecting your quality of life and keeping you from teaching. 

It would be worth your time to contact an attorney that specializes in Social Security disability cases.  He (or she) would best be able to answer your question based on the information you would need to supply.  If your school or union medical insurance policy offers a disability clause, that should also be looked into.

I wish you a better recovery and luck with your attempt to obtain disability benefits.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

KBL

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »
Hi,  yes talk to a lawyer.  Also order the paperwork and start to fill it out.  Make copies of everything.  The paperwork will seem redundant.  Fill out each form like you never answered it before.  They want complete forms. 
My surgery was January 2010.  I sent the paperwork in April 2010.  I got my rejection in late November 2010.  I hired a lawyer in Dec. 2010.  I had my hearing 3 weeks ago.  Things take forever.  They say everyone is rejected the first time.  I am still waiting to hear the decision on mine.  Talk to your student loan bank and find out about student loans and disability. 
Good luck,  Karen  :-[
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

wendymenard

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:16:18 am »
Thank you both for responding..Sometimes I feel like people think we wanted this tumor..I would much rather be teaching and have never gone through all this but it is what it is...I have a name of a referred disability lawyer so I will give her a call...Thanks
Retrosigmoid approach Oct 25. 2011  2.5 cm tumor on hearing nerve touching facial nerve and brain stem. Experiencing several post op issues but staying positive and creating my new normal

KBL

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:44:48 pm »
Hang in there and let us know what happens.  I never thought I would be in this situation,  I thought I would be able to just, " power through it", yeah right. 
Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:12 am »
Yes you have to contact an attorney it is well worth it along with a doctor that would help with all your post op problems along with the paper work my neurologist was very helpful in assisting me with SS. As far as the surgeons they felt the incision looked good tumor removed I should get on with my life !! There are many doctors that still do not realize how this affects our lives and think that we should just toughen up and continue with our jobs they do not understand how difficult it is and it is definitely not our choice to not continue in our professions that we prepared ourselves to do up until our normal retirement age it is not like we want to be on disability and never work in our fields again????.. I was denied at first but with the attorney I was granted SSD which SS as well do not comprehend the issues some of us have after having an AN.

Best Wishes,

Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

wendymenard

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »
I contacted an attorney and they pretty much told me that my husband makes too much money a month so they will not represent me..We are making ends meet but medical bills take all our money each month...should I just accept this and move on or do I look for another attorney?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »
I contacted an attorney and they pretty much told me that my husband makes too much money a month so they will not represent me..We are making ends meet but medical bills take all our money each month...should I just accept this and move on or do I look for another attorney?

Wendy ~

Seek another attorney.  Your household income is not a factor in determining your eligibility for SS disability benefits. 

This link to the SS website may be helpful to you.  http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify.htm

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

KBL

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »
Continue to look.  We know someone who is on disability whose husband makes decent money.  She was accepted about a year ago.  My appeal was denied.  Time for the next round.
Karen

Lou

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »
I am so sorry, that you are having to deal with this, as having the tumour and then having to deal with the aftermath of surgery isn't enough. Keep trying, It takes a while, I know people who get SS first time and others who seem to qualify don't get it. I think it is a bit of a crap shoot. Keep us posted, my thoughts and prayers are with you
Lou x
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 08:23:40 am »
I am so sorry, that you are having to deal with this, as having the tumour and then having to deal with the aftermath of surgery isn't enough. Keep trying, It takes a while, I know people who get SS first time and others who seem to qualify don't get it. I think it is a bit of a crap shoot. Keep us posted, my thoughts and prayers are with you
Lou x

It some cases being denied the first time it helps having a lawyer to appeal it is well worth it they get paid from the SSD monies and there is a cap that they can charge and if it is denied again the lawyers do not get paid so you have nothing to lose to try it with an attorney just find a reputable one. You also need a good caring doctor to help as well with backup documentation of your limitations one of the main ones if you cannot sit or stand for more than an hour or two and would not fair well even with a desk job.

I just added this now I did not realize I posted to your question before and did not see about what the lawyer said about your husband...First if this was a good lawyer and does many SSD claims he would know that your husband's salary has nothing to do with you 2 separate things you are applying for SSD on your work credits not your husbands I would definitely find another attorney !!

Best Wishes,
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:28:11 am by pjb »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

wendymenard

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »
Thanks everyone I thought the same thing..it should be based on my work not my husbands..does anyone know of a good attorney in the Atlanta area for disability?  Thanks Jim for the link I will check that out as well..

lkrk

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:30 pm »
I heard from someone whose job is working with disability paperwork that people need to apply twice for disability.  I also noticed that this type of problem is listed.  When I asked my doctor about it (I was Watch and Wait) because I am extremely miserable, he thought that some people were declared about 5-7% disabled but he said he was not an expert, that the ENT surgeon might know more about it. I am hopeful that after my surgery next week and recovery, that I will be as good as new (minus my hearing in the left ear!) and I won't have to worry about disability!  Yes, I know, I have my rose colored glasses on!

LK
1.5 CM Translab surgery scheduled for 3/13/13 (at least it is not on a Friday!)
Lauren

Diagnosed 6/29/11 7mm
Dec 2012  1.5 cm
Translab scheduled 3/13/13

newnorm

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 07:52:59 am »
Just  because you don‘t  meet the professional requirement set by your employer to do your job does not help your
 disability claim
 I had a tumor sitting on my fiscal  & acoustic nerve. Did surgery and they did not get all of it . Then I had radiation to stop the growth of it causing hearing  loss on the left side, chronic headache , dizziness & balance problems.
  I came to the realization I must live with the side effect. This would be my new normal it was not going to chance..
I returned to work . Struggling to
    work 12 hour days  as a pharmacist.   Then  I found a enlarged lymph node in my neck, same side of head  as acoustic tumor. Had surgery and it was  found to be positive for metastic melanoma stage 3..
  Returned to work. Seemed  to cause increase in my side effect also cognitive issues.
I took a leave of absence. I did not think I should be filling  prescriptions  It was not a decision  I made lightly. . But  I was termed 3 months later. 
Do not return to work if you are not sure . Prudential LTD will use that against you. Saying you are not disabled  because you came back work.
Was give SS Disability first try on my own.   Prudential LTD denied me  long term disability even with a lawyer.  Make sure you can handle your job before returning to work,
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:56:54 pm by newnorm »
Dave

lkrk

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 11:29:59 pm »
I heard that denial happens the first time and to try again. I had surgery 3/13/13. My short term disability says I should be able to go back to work at 6 weeks. But they said to get an updated note even though the return to work date is June 13th. I don't see me going back in 4 days.

I understand the overwhelming feeling with sound and motion or activity around me.  Good luck.

Lauren
15 mm AN diagnosed June 2011
Translab approach 3/13/13
Mayo Clinic MN
Dr Driscoll and Dr Link
Lauren

Diagnosed 6/29/11 7mm
Dec 2012  1.5 cm
Translab scheduled 3/13/13