Author Topic: Low Carb Diet and brain tumors  (Read 13413 times)

lalala80

Low Carb Diet and brain tumors
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:59:32 am »
There have been studies shown that low carb diets have been effective in tumor control.  This is because tumors can only process glucose for energy and cannot process ketones, which is what your body must process when it runs out of glucose and enters a stage of ketosis.  This is the whole theory behind the Atkins diet, which is supposed to be why it helps you lose more weight than just calorie restriction.  I have read studies on this in reference to malignant brain tumors but can't seem to find much info on it with regards to benign.   Has anyone heard of any studies on this in regards to benign tumors like ours?   The article involving mice is here http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/63544.php

alabamajane

Re: Low Carb Diet and brain tumors
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:05:12 am »
hi LALALA80,,
I don't have any advice on your post, but wanted to make sure you know about the support group meeting in Mobile March 31 @ 11:30 am...
I replied to the PM you sent about groups in AL,, just wanted to make sure you saw this meeting as it is the only one in the state.. (not sure what part of state you are in)..
Our group leader is on the "willing to talk" list and she is great to speak with. If you don't have her contact info,, let me know and I will get it to you.
I see from some on here that PM systems is not working ,, so just wanted you to know about the meeting. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

windy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »
I just went to a workshop on nutrition and brain tumors at UAB in AL in Feb. To my knowledge, I was the only one there with a benign brain tumor, but figured I might could use some helpful information on the subject, as my tumor could possibly be growing. They certainly mentioned tumors and how they feed off of glucose. The nutritionist there said a low carb diet was the way to go. Also, she recommended no sweets at all, unless it was maybe two fun size snacks per week. Oh well, why even have that much..... She said to have fruit, but reduce your quantity of fruits, as well. She recommended no beef, with grilled fish and chicken, only. I had already researched this info. prior to the meeting, but the diet plan was maybe a little more strict than I had anticipated. Also, there was a discussion of flaxseed and cottage cheese for the Dr. Budwig Diet. I had read about this diet prior to the meeting. A glioma patient at the meeting had practiced this diet for two years, along with total elimination of sweets. She seemed to be doing pretty well.

I, too, have wondered if the malignant tumors react in the same manner. Is a tumor, a tumor, no matter what? I don't think it could hurt in any way. I think it is certainly worth noting that nutrition does play a part on our health, so why not try and live as healthy as possible. 

* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:06:32 am »
Hi all
I'm a nutritionist and lost 50.8kg in 2004 on a low carb diet.  I gained a little back so I tried the 'shakes' diet where you go into ketosis and lost the few kilos.
I've stuck to a low starchy carbohydrate way of eating (no processed flours, rice, pasta, or sugar etc. and only have wholemeal or wholewheat) since then to maintain my weight.

The tumour grew to 4cms!

I'm not debunking this theory but what works for one may not work for another.  Seek your doctor's opinion before going on a ketosis driven diet as the headache you get in the first couple of days can be pretty bad.  So can the bad breath.  If you 'go off it' and eat carbs and then go back on this type of diet again then you will get those same headaches/bad breath etc. again.

I would love to know when the first AN was discovered and how people were eating before that so I can see if there's a coalation to ANs and diet alone.

My advice to clients has always been to eat unprocessed foods, 2 serves of fresh fruit and 4 to 5 serves of non starchy vegetables, 1 to 2 serves of wholemeal/wheat carbohydrate, palm-sized lean protein at each meal, 2 serves of low fat dairy, and 1 thumb-sized serve of fat (oil, margarine etc) Serve size to lose weight or to maintain it if you aren't active would be a cupped hand for fruit and veg, 1 cup of dairy or 1 slice of low fat cheese, and the palm-sized protein.

So I like Windy's suggestion of eating as healthily as you can to maintain the rest of our body.

Just my 2 cents worth and soapbox is packed away.  A very intersting post! I'll be watching for more news on this as it gets published for sure.

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »
I have to agree with Suu.  When I learned of my AN I decided I needed to loose weight, eat healthy (cut out sugar, most fats, salt, try to stay away from anything white etc), and exercise.  I did all three and low and behold that dang tumor grew 3mm in 5 months!   >:(

However, on a good note I have lost 15.5 pounds, my cholesterol dropped 46 points, and I have good muscles.   :)

So as others have "typed" to me on this forum - be as healthy as you can before your procedure. 

Now waiting for my start date for CK.  (no one said anything about being as scared as I am)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 03:12:29 pm »
While this study obviously has some advice to consider, don't be lulled into thinking that a low-carb (or any other kind of) diet is the solution (or treatment option) for your AN.

Realistically, the only thing that will treat your AN is radiation or surgery.  Watch and wait is another very good option.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:11 pm »
I agree with Jan.   I sure wish that something like diet can change the progress of the tumor, but as you can see, it grows and grows and low carb is showing that it is fed.    There is no magic answer as hard as we wish that there was.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 03:14:59 pm »
I agree with Jan.   I sure wish that something like diet can change the progress of the tumor, but as you can see, it grows and grows and low carb is showing that it is fed.    There is no magic answer as hard as we wish that there was.

Well put, Mei Mei.  A healthy diet can be beneficial in many ways but, unfortunately, stopping an acoustic neuroma from growing is not one of them.  If it were, ANs might be almost extinct by now. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »
I eat vegan (except for salmon), dairy free, gluten free, low fat, low sugar, organic, etc., and I still developed an AN as well as newly grown lipomas after a diagnosis of breast cancer last year.  I feel great about eating healthy but it hasn't stopped tumors from growing in my body.  I believe in healthy eating and treatment.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.