Author Topic: Baha moment...  (Read 5375 times)

kixit

Baha moment...
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:27:45 pm »
Well peeps it's getting to be closer to that time..my Baha moment  ;D  I am scheduled Nov 9th at UVA for a new abutment placement then I will take a short trek downstairs to audiology where my eyes will fall upon what's possibly the greatest invention ever--my chestnut brown Baha processor  8)

This will probably be my favorite trip to UVA!! I know it will be one of my"over the moon" moments.

I would like you who have a Baha or Oticon to share your Baha moment and what I may expect once "hooked up".
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Baha moment...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:39 pm »
My "Gotcha Day" was 6/4/08 and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Outside the building where my doc's office is there is a small area where you can sit on a bench near a waterfall.

I sat there for about 45 minutes just listening to all the sounds I'd missed in the 9 months that I was SSD without a BAHA.

The trickle of the waterfall, the sound of airplanes overhead, birds singing.  I had the biggest smile on my face.  People walking by must have thought I was crazy, but I didn't care  ;D

I hope your Gotcha Day is as good as mine was.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:49:22 pm »
For me, it was like it was for Jan.  I could hear running water no matter which ear was facing the water.  I also almost jumped out of my skin when I heard the bed sheets rustling when I made the bed.  I tore a piece of paper, and it was not some distant sound, but rather the crisp sound of paper tearing!  It was pretty incredible.  My BEST moment was when someone walked up to my deaf side and talked softly.  I heard every word!!!! and without turning my good ear to face them.  I actually knew they were there and heard it all!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:37 pm »
I did not really have a "BAHA moment." I was excited. My best moment was right after I got the abutment exposed, I hit it with my wedding ring, and I could hear it in my good ear...that was a great moment...this "thing" really works kind of moment.

James

PamJ

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
I get my processor on Wednesday looking foward to it but a bit anxious
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:55:08 am »
While I was excited to get mine, it was sort of anti-climatic for me because of all the issues I had in getting everything healed up in the first place.  And since I did have a little bit of hearing in that ear, it wasn't a huge difference for me except my understanding what people were saying increased by about a hundred fold!  That part was awesome!  So hang in there, your gotcha moment will indeed be awesome!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 12:35:20 pm »
Your "Gotcha" day marks 3 year post op AN for me ;)  I have a Gotcha date scheduled for Dec 19th, can't wait!  Like this topic though, to hear others BAHA moments :)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

kixit

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 06:26:03 am »
 ;D As the day draws closer to getting my Baha (Nov 9th!!!), I am wondering for those who have theirs-I work for a police department and we carry digital police radios. Do you think those would interfere with the Baha? Hopefully, after completing vestibular therapy (I start Monday the 29th) I will be able to return to the field.

Has anyone completely gotten over their balance/wonkiness issues or does a little still remain?
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

PamJ

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:52:08 am »
Hi I also worked for Police (22 years) but retired before I had my BAHA.  The first time I was 'switched on' was quite emotional and had to wear it for a month before going back to audiologist. After about 3 weeks it seemed to stop working and could only hear on my deaf side when I put my finger in my good ear.  When I went back last week I was told it was because my brain was getting used to hearing on my deaf side again, I was plugged in to a machine (it was amazing this machine new how long I had been wearing it and how many times I turned it up and down to have a memory in something so small is amazing).  After having it finely tuned I could not believe the difference I could hear people behind me as well.  I go back in 8 weeks to have another tune.  I hope it doesn't interfer with your Police radios. Good luck I hope you enjoy it.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »
I'm guessing you may get some feedback from your police radio depending on the pitch of the sounds it makes.

I'm basing this on the fact that on occasion I get feedback - although it's minimal - when I have the car radio on and I'm wearing my BAHA.  Whether or not I get feedback depends on the song and how loud I have the radio volume.  There are certain notes - usually high pitched - that will make my processor let out a squealing noise.  But it's infrequent and short-lived.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 06:59:27 am »
Jan or anyone...

So when you say there is feed back, do others around you hear it?  I know like older hearing aids squeal OUT LOUD and people start looking ;)

I asked cause I know when I tried the Phonak CROS more recently "I" was the only one who heard feedback, if any....which was only if I was adjusting it (which for me was a lot because matter what audio did I just didn't get it to work well, pick up sound)

Thanks
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI