Author Topic: up coming surgery  (Read 6450 times)

millere

up coming surgery
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »
Hello All,

After a trip to Europe for work I noticed that I was deaf in my left ear and my balance was off.  I went to my general practitioner doctor who told me that my eustachian tube may be blocked.  Four days later I went to the ENT who because of my symptoms put me on a high dose of steroids and ordered a MRI.  I found out the following friday that I had a very small, 8mm x 4mm acoustic neuroma.  I got into House Ear Clinic the next day.  It seems to be moving very quickly but due to my symptoms, age(36), and favorable insurance position,  I am scheduled for surgery on April 26th, since I have complete hearing loss on my left side they will probably use the translabyrinthine method, unless the steroids help with my hearing. .  Dr. Slattery is my neurologist and Dr. Lekovic is my neurosurgeon.  I don't know what else to post hear, I'm a little nervous but for my age and because of my symptoms I feel like surgery is the best option.  I feel really good about Dr. Slattery, I havent' met Dr. Lekovic yet but I'm sure that a place like House would only have the best working for them.  I know I didn't leave a lot of options for feedback but I have done a lot of research and lurked around here for a couple days and have to be the strong one for all of my family that is worried about the who process.  Please let me know it you have any suggestions and insights for myself and family.  Thank you!!!

Best regards,

Eric

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Re: up coming surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:39:33 pm »
 ;D
Hi Eric.  Excellent choice of clinics and treatment in my opinion.  The time prior to surgery is full of anxiety and being honest with family and children is a good approach.  You can let them know you want the best outcome so you are going to a place where they do these surgeries every day, which is true.  These tumorsqq are said to be rare, but you will meet a lot of other folks while you are there.  You are in good hands. Nyou want the tumor out of your head and it's not like very many folks die from this surgery. You will die if you don't have it( or some type of treatment)  These were some of my mantras.  I am 11 weeks post Translab lab from House with Shwartz /Friedman team.  I healed up fast, my facial nerve was preserved, and have moved on terrifically.  You are courageous Eric because not everyone chooses surgery.  However, you will do amazing and your family will support you. Read a lot here...stay positive, stay true.  Will be looking forward to you being done with surgery!
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:19:22 am »
G'dau Eric

Having faith in your doctors is the best thing that you wrote about.

My doctors also gave me great bedside manner and earned my trust before surgery.

Lucky they caught yours at the smallish size as the people with the small ANs seem to have the best outcome.
I'll watch for your posts and story on the other side of the operating theater and remember that it's better out than in  ;D

Hugs,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Archer

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:32 am »
Hi Eric,
Sorry to meet you in a forum such as this but welcome.  It is a source of much info by many who have gone through or will go through what you are.  I hope all goes well for you at HEI.  I'll probably bump into you in the halls  of St. Vincent post surgery.  I am scheduled for surgery on the 25th.  We'll have to compare notes.

Rich

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:59:51 am »
Hi Eric and welcome .....

It sounds like you did all of the right things and are going to a fabulous place for treatment.  My translab surgery was 11 months ago at HEI and I am fully recovered back to my previous self.

You are correct that all of the HEI docs have outstanding reputations or they would not be there.

Best wishes and many thoughts and prayers for a successful, uneventful surgery and recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:31:39 am »
Hi Eric,

Sorry that you have a AN, and that you lost your hearing.  Reading your post gave me the impression you were looking for some form of confirmation or approval about your decision.  One thing I have learned here at ANA, choices have to be made by the patient, it's not our place, even though many of us will share our experiences be it surgery or radiation.   Having said that, you have shown some wisdom by learning about your tumor, operations and facilities.  Health decisions require us to learn as much as we can so we can make an infomed choice.  Whatever we decide, for the majority of suffers, these tumors ultimately have to be dealt with.  There is a lot of literature out there, and some of it suggests that younger suffers should chose surgery, but many people are frightened of surgery.  For me, I chose surgery and I was 54 at the time.  I have had three other prior operations in my day, none of them related to my AN.  I didn't even give brain surgery a second thought, just figured another part of my body will have stitches.  I've had a very successful operation here in the NYC area, but from what I have seen on the posts here, you're headed to an excellent place.

It's stressful whenever we are faced with surgery, but you will be fine and I look forward to reading your post during recovery.

God Bless.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:10:20 am »
Hi Eric
House is a great choice. I had Friedman & Schwartz.  There are 2 others on this board going to House the same time. Dave Cruz, Archer & yourself. If you stay at Seton write in the guest book they have there in the break room / computer room. You will do great.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »
Good luck, Eric.  I'm sure everything will turn out fine; you are in good hands.

For your hearing, and especially since you are so young, you might want to look into a BAHA (bone-anchored hearing aid).

I was 45 1/2 at the time of my surgery - which left me SSD - and couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life without some kind of hearing "help".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LizAN

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »
Hello All,

After a trip to Europe for work I noticed that I was deaf in my left ear and my balance was off.  I went to my general practitioner doctor who told me that my eustachian tube may be blocked.  Four days later I went to the ENT who because of my symptoms put me on a high dose of steroids and ordered a MRI.  I found out the following friday that I had a very small, 8mm x 4mm acoustic neuroma.  I got into House Ear Clinic the next day.  It seems to be moving very quickly but due to my symptoms, age(36), and favorable insurance position,  I am scheduled for surgery on April 26th, since I have complete hearing loss on my left side they will probably use the translabyrinthine method, unless the steroids help with my hearing. .  Dr. Slattery is my neurologist and Dr. Lekovic is my neurosurgeon.  I don't know what else to post hear, I'm a little nervous but for my age and because of my symptoms I feel like surgery is the best option.  I feel really good about Dr. Slattery, I havent' met Dr. Lekovic yet but I'm sure that a place like House would only have the best working for them.  I know I didn't leave a lot of options for feedback but I have done a lot of research and lurked around here for a couple days and have to be the strong one for all of my family that is worried about the who process.  Please let me know it you have any suggestions and insights for myself and family.  Thank you!!!

Best regards,

Eric

Eric,

If you are reading this forum, please post and let us know how you are doing post-op.  I hope you are recovering beautifully!

I have an appointment to talk with Dr. Slattery on Friday evening.  Does he always work with Dr. Lekovic, or does he also work with Schwartz?

Thanks,
Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

OTO

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:37 pm »
LizAn
My surgery was with Dr. Schwartz and Slattery but that was back in 2007.   I think Dr. Lekovic started with House several years ago, when the other neurosurgeon retired or moved on (I can't remember his name).   I don't know how they divy up the surgeries.    You can ask them what parts of the surgery each will do?   I think Dr Lekovic (neurosurgeon) will expose the AN, and then Dr Slattery (neuro-otologist) will remove (resect) the AN from the nerve.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:33:14 am »
Liz .....

When I had my surgery just one year ago at House, I specifically requested Drs. Friedman and Schwartz.  I had to wait for their schedules to jive, but it was worth the wait.

BTW, in my case Dr. Friedman (the neuro-otolaryngologist) did the opening and removal of the inner ear workings.  Then Dr. Schwartz (the neurosurgeon) did the actual tumor removal.  Then Dr. Friedman came back in to implant the BAHA abutment.

Clarice

LizAN

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 11:16:44 am »
LizAn
My surgery was with Dr. Schwartz and Slattery but that was back in 2007.   I think Dr. Lekovic started with House several years ago, when the other neurosurgeon retired or moved on (I can't remember his name).   I don't know how they divy up the surgeries.    You can ask them what parts of the surgery each will do?   I think Dr Lekovic (neurosurgeon) will expose the AN, and then Dr Slattery (neuro-otologist) will remove (resect) the AN from the nerve.

OTO,

How did your surgery go, and how was your recovery?  How are you now?

I thought it was the other way around - the neurotologist handles the approach and the neurosurgeon actually removes the AN from the nerve.  It may vary, in practice.  The local surgical team told me that they take turns.  I don't think they have the same training, so it made me very nervous to hear that.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:31 am »
Liz .....

When I had my surgery just one year ago at House, I specifically requested Drs. Friedman and Schwartz.  I had to wait for their schedules to jive, but it was worth the wait.

BTW, in my case Dr. Friedman (the neuro-otolaryngologist) did the opening and removal of the inner ear workings.  Then Dr. Schwartz (the neurosurgeon) did the actual tumor removal.  Then Dr. Friedman came back in to implant the BAHA abutment.

Clarice

Clarice,

Prior to scheduling your surgery, who reviewed your medical records?  Was it Friedman?

How did you decide to have the BAHA implanted at the same time?  Had you tried any other type of hearing aid?  I am full of questions at this point.

Thanks,
Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:02 pm »
Dr. Friedman was my main contact person and reviewed my MRIs and audiograms.

I knew I would not be happy being SSD and knew it was inevitable with this second surgery so I discussed the idea with Dr. Friedman, who assured me he had done BAHA implants many times during the translab surgeries.

After my first surgery in 2008 (via retrosigmoid), I only had 20% hearing left in my AN ear, but 100% speech discrimination.  Therefore, I successfully used a Widex Mind traditional hearing aid, but I hated having something in my ear canal.  So, to answer your question, I never considered the trans-ear types of hearing devices.  I love my Ponto Pro ..... snap it on after my shower every morning and do not think about it again until I take it off to go to bed.

Clarice