Author Topic: MRI 3months post-FSR  (Read 1978 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
MRI 3months post-FSR
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:41:30 am »
Yesterday I had MRI 12 or 13 to establish the size baseline following FSR. Bottom line there is no discernible from October, as expected.  Good visits with all appropriate nurses and doctors. All please/impressed with my continued progress.

One highlight was this. My neurosurgeon's nurse shared with me that whenever they see a CPA meningioma of significant size, it is now referred to as a "Tod Massa tumor." I guess they have not forgotten that 32 hour surgery yet.

I become famous for the strangest things.

Also, the radiation oncology folks really don't know how to deal with me. I am too upbeat. "How are you?" "Quite wonderful, actually." yadda yadda, all the repetitive questions to verify things, yadda yadda, 

Nurse: "I've got no known allergies..."

Me: "Really, that's great! But I thought you were asking questions about ME?"

Life is good. It really is, with no MRI for another year....my insurance company will be quite happy about that, this two or three a year was not appreciated.

-tod

Another story, perhaps familiar to others with facial movement discorders (synkenesis).

Sunday lunch with my dear wife. Towards the end, "Do you know your eye opens and closes while you eat?"

"Why, yes, I do. Thank you so much for making self-conscious about it. Did you just now notice after over a year?"

"No, I just finally thought to say something...."

Then teased her more. I am not self-concious about it at all, especially since I don't eat in front of mirrors. But as I shared the story with a young colleague who has been battling Bell's palsy,  there is a tremendous difference between being 30 and pretty and 50 don't care.

I am what I am, tumor and all.

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Mei Mei

Re: MRI 3months post-FSR
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »
Yes, you are what you are and YOU ARE FANTASTIC!    I always talk about you with my doctors and what a strong person you are.   It's one of the hardest periods of our lives and you certainly are the MANTRA for a model patient, friend and family man.   Our lives will never be the same after this surgery and you and your stories help us reach the new YOU.

Keep sending those stories!   In good health!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »
Tod ~

Congratulations on the 'no change' MRI report!

Your upbeat attitude and sense of humor is apparently noticed by the folks you interact with, even the radiation staff.  Well done. 

The observation that you are what you are is not only accurate but also encouraging, and applies to any age.  That the vast majority of humanity judge each other on physical appearance alone is unfortunate but unavoidable.  For those dealing with facial issues, we need to remind each other that it's not what other people say or how they react to you but how you chose to deal with it that is important.  No one should allow an often temporary condition or others response to it to determine our self-esteem.  Easier said than done, I know, but still true. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:05:05 pm »
Tod,

Thanks for the laugh!

Great news on your report.  I was beginning to wonder if we have a lifetime limit of MRIs on insurance plans.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie