Author Topic: What am I missing  (Read 2584 times)

grammyslim

What am I missing
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:52 pm »
Ok

had hearing test and have little hearing in AN ear - but I don't have problem (that I know of) knowing which way the sound comes from?

had balance testing showed no balance on AN side - but never noticed that I lost my balance - kinda would stumble towards the AN side but that stopped after a few visits to the Chiro

I also have a calm about me - that bothers me -

going to see surgery and radiation Dr on Friday - to see what they say and how much time I have before I have to make a decision.
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: What am I missing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:20:17 am »

I also have a calm about me - that bothers me -

That calmness can be the best thing for you. It will stop you from having a pounding heart, unreal dreams, and nervousness.  It may give you a calming effect so you can take it all in and what's being said.

We're right beside you all the way.  Can you feel us? (((((((grammyslim)))))))

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

mk

Re: What am I missing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:23:43 am »
Your AN is small, beningn, slow growing, so you are right to be calm. You have a lot of time to research your options.

Even if you have a small amount of hearing left and no word recognition you can still have directionality. I lost hearing gradually and I could still tell the direction of sound, until I lost hearing entirely.

You don't have balance problems because your other side has compensated. I also never had balance problems, and even upon examination the doctors thought that my balance was pretty good. I had to take the test to find out that I had 90% weakness on the AN side. Because the other side had compensated I didn't have any balance problems after surgery either.

So there it goes. What you are feeling is normal - it is strange that everyone reacts differently and sometimes people with the smallest ANs have the most intense symptoms, but this is how it is.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.