regrets?? sure, getting an AN,, then ,, in MY case,, in hind-sight,, I regret watching and waiting for three years as symptoms increased/changed.. mine was only 2.7cm when operated on,, much smaller than yours,, but location was very similar to yours, enhanced into the CPA with brain stem compression at the end.. I had great hearing,, some problem with word recognition,, but not much, , had tinnitus and ear fullness.. developed dizziness and some balance issues in those three years
also developed numb spot on tip of tongue and some facial numbness/tingling... also by surgery ,, I was having pretty severe headaches especially when I would try to move,, laying down was much more comfortable.. so ,, yes,, I regret waiting until symptoms increased.. by surgery time,, I had translab which took 11 hrs due to depth of tumor and ended up wrapped around facial nerve so it had to be taken too.. so I have facial paralysis and a gold weight in eyelid to help it close,, which was done in a second surgery 4 days after the AN surgery... hard journey to say the least.. but one I "found" myself in due to the AN. and for me radiation was not an option ( and probably won't be for you as it is already so large) ... as I have said in the past,, this surgery is not for wimps! This is NOT said to scare you in the least,, you asked for our thoughts and experiences,, I know there are many on here who are w&w for several years and all is well.. and if that is what you decide to do,, that is definitely your call,, I did it too for several years. .. but in my NON-medical world,,, the location of yours much less the size,, you will be advised by most if not all Drs. to have the surgery sooner rather than later..."messing" with the brain stem is serious stuff...
Send your MRI and auditory test results to several Drs that will provide free, no obligation, phone consults and get more medical advice to help you decide.. I sent mine to House Clinic in LA, CA,, they are "world renowned" Drs. and have provided many on here with another opinion.. I talked to one Dr out there for two years,, he suggested surgery in 2009,, and I "talked him out it" and asked if w&w would be "ok" and he conceded,, the next year it had grown such that he said surgery was necessary due to brain stem compression ,,
I don't regret having the surgery,, I HAD to in the end,, I was not happy to have to do it,, but had no "real" choice,, it had to come out..they don't "usually" shrink much on their own and won't go away on their own..I was definitely not happy with facial nerve involvement,, would it have been the same result had I not w&w,, who knows,,, and like some have said,, there are Drs who will leave sliver of tumor on that nerve and follow up with radiation,, that may be another option for you if that nerve is involved,, but I think,, MY opinion for what that is worth,, 2 cents MAYBE,,,,, you need some other Dr opinions to help you decide on treatment options,, and w&w may work for you,,, good luck,, I wish you well on your journey,, keep asking for advice,, there are many folks on here and we have all had different journeys,, and your will be too.... our best wishes come your way,,, Jane