Author Topic: Wonky  (Read 3607 times)

grammyslim

Wonky
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:19:02 pm »
Ok so I am new and want to know what exactly is WONKY feeling?
Also I have been having headaches (never get headaches) and having to lie down the past two days.
My balance seems off today on AN side but according to my balance testing I have no balance on that side
and ideas about what's happening.  Getting ready for a trip  so no time for Dr. Appt until I return.
Any trouble flying with AN??

My AN is 1.4cm when I was diagnosed in Jan 2012.  Have appt with Radiation and Neurosurgeon end of April.
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Wonky
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »
Hi Grammy! So what is wonky? I always use this example of a wonky headed feeling...it is usually whenever your head starts feeling disconnected and it is almost like watching a video someone made with a video camera that didn't have image stabilization features...they would have the thing recording and they are walking and trying to hold it steady as they walk, but yet it jumps around and bounces and stuff like that.  For me, that is exactly what wonky feels like.  Your balance is off, and so your eyes can't quite compensate for the bouncing and whatever as you are moving and so you feel "wonky"! :)  This usually happens to us posties when there are pressure changes in the atmosphere or maybe sinus issues (allergies).  So I hope this kind of helps...other people may have other definitions of wonky, but if you do a search on this subject here on this forum, I think you'll find the general consensus is what I described! Take care and good luck, let us know how things go!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:53:21 am »
grammy

Jay gives a perfect description! :)

"Wonkyhead" is a term coined on these forums many many years ago by a user named "CaptDeb" (she is post mid-fossa surgical treatment on her AN) who peeks in from time to time.  Just as Jay notes, its a "disconnect" feel, much like taking cold medicines..... that head disconnect with a hint of dizziness thrown in for good measure.

I keep telling Deb to trademark the term.... she could be making a lot of money off it! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:56:00 am »
Good luck with your appointment and praying for the best to you ... You described the wonky head, dizziness, fullness, pressure feeling just totally out of whack...The flying part many have traveled before and after and I have not heard of anything major but hoping others will chime in to be exact.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »
  Getting ready for a trip  so no time for Dr. Apt until I return.
Any trouble flying with AN??

I flew about two months prior to being diagnosed and did have some pretty sharp pain in my AN side just as we were descending (I thought it was just an ear infection gone bad :o), then had a little trouble hearing for a couple of days after that, but all cleared up pretty quickly (didn't go to doc).  Then, many months after diagnosis, I flew to LA for my surgery and had NO trouble whatsoever...same for flying back home post op...

Enjoy your trip!

Cindy
wonky-prone also ;)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

grammyslim

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 03:17:04 pm »
THANKS everyone

HAPPY EASTER
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.