Author Topic: NYC Surgeons Recommended in CT/NYC area  (Read 12974 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: NYC Surgeons Recommended in CT/NYC area
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:04 pm »
Blags -

there is a wonderful article in the June 2012 edition of ANA Notes (the ANA's newsletter) that you might find helpful.  It's written by Dr. Myles Pensak (he's in Ohio) and it explains what a doctor's thinking process is when making a treatment recommendation to an AN patient.

You need to be a dues-paying member of the ANA to read the newsletter online - or have it mailed to you - but dues are only $40 annually and well-worth it.

Just a thought,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 08:27:23 am »
Hi Millie-
Thanks for your response. I have seen Sisti (he wants to wait, then possibly radiate). I don't want to do radiation bc I think I will still have my dizzy/ balance issues since tumor will still be sitting on my vestibular nerve.
Saw Selesnick and Gutin and they recommend retro sigmoid but do not need to rush to operate.
Boockvar recommends middle foss approach which I think I feel most comfortable with.
When it comes to approaches I know the dr recommends what they are most comfortable doing.
Was thinking of seeing NyUs drs but don't know if 4 opinions is going to make this process more confusing for me.

BLags

Just a suggestion definitely consult with a couple more I did not I chose the first and only team and regret every day that I did. I would meet with Drs. Roland and Golfino they are very good and I would also send your records to the doctors at HEI for a telephone consultation as I and many others believe and know they are the best in the field of AN's and do get back to you within a week of receiving your records....Yes it is confusing but you do want the best in no matter what course of treatment you choose..

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

millie

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 04:28:17 pm »
Yes, thank you everyone, for your insights.
Blags, I too sent my info to HOUSE clinic-I sent my MRI's registered mail (they were signed for) and a Doctor called me within the week.  He was very kind-you can find the results in one of my posts.
He mentioned the same type of surgery that the NYU doctors had mentioned(translab)  Radiation was an option suggested by Sisti but I too hope to lessen the symptoms from my balance nerve.  (Fullheadedness wonkiness(disequilibrium earringing)Apparently most of my useful hearing has declined in the last six months but I am having a hearing test Fridayjust to get a more accurate reading.
I have been told it would be ok to wait until October when my Medicare kicks in.
I will get one more opinion.
I don't think you can go wrong getting about four- opinions and doing your research and coming to a conclusion.  I felt confused too but I take comfort in knowing I have until October.
I am only waiting because my son's wedding is September 7, however.
Millie

millie

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 08:58:50 am »
That is the reason I did not like radiation either.  I would still have the fullheaded feeling, which I have at least 50% of the time, and the off-balance but not falling over feeling, which I call wonkiness and disquilibrium.  The ear ringing is constant now.
And I am getting an old post,rootcanal/crown pulled today.
Yay for me!
Millie