Author Topic: I'm going with my gut and have made a decision!  (Read 23614 times)

Tumbleweed

Re: I'm going with my gut and have made a decision!
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:09 am »
  These doctors are either going to wish they never took on my case or respect me for being such a pest.   ;)

Karen 

They should respect you. This is your body, your future, your life. And incidentally, you're giving them hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of business. If you feel they think you're a pest, cancel and go elsewhere. Remember, treatment isn't the end of the process. There are years of followup MRIs, audiograms and so on. They should be making this easy for you.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:48 pm »
Karen,

Way to go follow your gut! Trust in God that you have made the affirmative decision to treat, He will handle the rest!

A pleasant outcome to your difficult AN journey we all are wishing you! Get some good sleep tonight (5/2/2012)!

You're on your way towards healing!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 06:34:46 am »
Yesterday received many encouraging emails and posts from friends and phone calls.
Slept well last night.  I'm over the crying (for now) so plan to do as little as possible today. 
I'll keep you all informed.  I have a feeling that this is not going to be as bad as my imagination made it out to be yesterday.   ;)
Thank you all again for your encouragement and prayers, they are all needed.

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

MDemisay

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:43 am »
Go forward Karen,

We here on the forum are with you in spirit as you enter CK treatment today May 3, 2012 at 4:30. Let go and let God! Trust that you have followed all the steps! Congratulations! Sleep easy our friend! You are about to start the long road to recovery, may it be smooth and seamless!

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

MDemisay

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 06:37:54 am »
Everyone,

Happy second day of treatment Karen, your friends on the ANA forum hope that you are doing well and are rooting for you by being prayerful and sending healing thoughts your way!!!

Mike

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 10:27:45 am »
For those of you following this thread here's my post I just entered under Radiation.  (sorry I have no clue how to put the "links" in.  This is also under Radiation titled CK - Ond down, two to go! 

It wasn't particularly pleasant but it wasn't absolutely horrible which is what I feared.

One down, two to go!

I’m alive and my head didn’t explode, that’s the good news.

Before the procedure I spoke with Dr. Greenberg.  I asked what I might experience.  He said most likely nothing!  May have some swelling but he did not want to give me meds for that unless absolutely necessary.  He also said that a few months out I could loose some hair in the area of the radiation behind my ear.  He also spoke briefly about mild facial paralyses which should / could / would resolve itself.

Also spoke with Dr. Bartels.  I told him that Wednesday morning I woke up with my “bad” ear feeling totally clogged and having problems hearing.  He said if it doesn’t go away to call and make an appointment.  I called this morning, got an appointment for next Wednesday since it is getting worse.  I don’t believe this has anything to do with the radiation since it started two days prior to radiation.

Now back to the actual CK procedure.  It was not the most pleasant experience mainly because of the way they had me positioned on the table with the mask.  Thank heaven for Valium! Remember the mask is molded to your face and head with you laying flat on your back looking up towards the ceiling.  The radiologist had first set me up that way yesterday but then came back in the room a few minutes later, removed the mask, told me to turn my head slightly to the right then put the mask back on me and screwed it down to the table.  Now my chin on the right side is very uncomfortable and my brow bone on the left side is very uncomfortable besides the fact that the entire mask is extremely tight.  About the time I thought I couldn’t take it any longer the radiologist came in to tell me the first treatment was over.  Thank heaven!

When I went out to the waiting room my husband said I had “cyberknife waffle face”!  The mask had actually left impressions all over my face.  Truthfully, I’m surprised my chin and brow are not black and blue, that’s how tight and uncomfortable it was.  Dr. Greenberg asked me if I watched the whole thing.  I told him I couldn’t get my eyes open in the mask.  He seemed surprised.  Obviously, he’s never had this done!  You know doctors should “sample” what their patients experience; just my humble opinion. 

As for the actual radiation, I couldn’t feel anything.  The machine hummed, clunked, and made other noises but that was it.  I took a CD that I knew would play for at least an hour, which was very soft, calming music for me.  I laid there, did breathing techniques I’ve learned from yoga classes, and thought of all the great things I’ve enjoyed most in my life.  That seemed to work to keep me still for 40 minutes.

On my way out, I asked Dr. Greenberg if I could take aspirin, which he said was fine.  The back of my head hurt.  Don’t know if that was from how I was positioned on the table or was actually from the CK treatment.

As to how I feel today.  I’ve had mild queasiness in my stomach, I think my vision is some what blurry but clears up (spoke with Dr. Greenberg, he said this is probably due to dehydration because the optic nerve was far from where they radiated), the back left side of my head doesn’t really hurt but I’m aware of it (I’m assuming that’s where they radiated) (asked about this also, he said most likely because of the weird position I was in for 40 minutes), and my taste buds are almost non-existent (forgot to ask about this).  Nothing has much flavor.  Had hot sauce on my scrambled eggs this morning and really couldn’t taste it.  So it will be interesting to see how these issues play out after the next two sessions.

I will keep you posted on sessions two and three.  Session two is Monday and session three is Tuesday.

Thanks for all your encouraging emails and prayers it was all welcomed. 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back