Author Topic: CROS vs. SoundBite  (Read 28467 times)

Ross

• Ross
Re: CROS vs. SoundBite
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 07:29:40 pm »
Now I'm understanding someone's comment about seeing his uncle change the batteries in his hearing aid!  I suppose it makes them more portable. The Soundbite ITM piece apparently only lasts 6ish hours. Then you have to have the second one they provide ready to go, but begin to recharge the expired piece so you're ready when the second one expires. Sounds like a lot of managing of getting something charged up for use.

I'm trying to understand what the hearing advantages are of Soundbite over a CROS. If someone has insight on that I'd love to learn about it.

Thanks.
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:37 pm »
Okay, folks...I got my trial pair of Phonak CROS aids this afternoon.  What a perfect day to experiment as I had a dinner date with a good friend of mine.  We went to what is probably one of the noisier restaurants in Boston (Sweet Cheeks in the Fenway...fabulous!).  I purposely had him sit on my bad side so I could genuinely test just how much conversation I could follow.  Well, I have to say, I am very excited about the prospect of this solution.  I was able to hear him quite well and didn't have to crane my neck once.  Tomorrow will be my first test at work.  We'll see how that goes, but, man oh, man...this is exciting stuff.

Phonak's upgrade to their new wireless platform has apparently made all the difference for many patients.  The technology prior to 2011 just wasn't up to snuff...but this new platform seems to be a winner.

Interestingly enough, I just heard from Boston Medical Center about a dentist referral for the impression needed to mold the ITM piece for Soundbite.  I'm going to hold off for the moment to evaluate the CROS for a while.  Should I be dissatisfied, I will explore Soundbite.

If anyone has insights on the difference in sound quality between the current CROS system and Soundbite, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks all, especially, Lee Clinton.  You were my inspiration to go check out the device.  Had I not read about your comments, I would never have explored it.

Best, rjo
AN, 9 MM

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 02:16:12 pm »
Just saying HI, cause following this thread too ;-)

Thanks Lee for pointing it out to me!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Toadlee

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 10:11:49 pm »
Hi, I've been lurking, but now I'm intrigued enough to show myself. What kind of hardware is involved with the  CROS? How much does it cost, and does insurance pay anything? Yes, I'll check the website, but I find those places are so marketing-driven, I'd rather hear (sic) from end users.

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 04:34:27 am »
The hardware is quite small. You wear a hearing aid in your good ear and a transmitter that also looks like a hearing aid in your bad ear. Many people won't know you're wearing them. The wires into the ear canal are clear and thin.

The cost for the hearing aid is $2150 and $1000 for the transmitter. In MA, insurance companies don't pay for hearing aids. I don't know about other states.

In the three days I've been wearing them, I've been surprised at how effective they are at making certain settings less frustrating. I am experiencing places I'd go in the past where I knew I absolutely wouldn't hear the person on my bad side quite differently now...I no longer have to say, "oh let me sit over there instead so I can hear you better."

I'm wearing it to a ball game today to see how it fares there.

Let's out it this way...I will either purchase these or go with Soundbite. But, there is a helpful solution out there. That's the best news overall.
AN, 9 MM

missdiaz

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 12:46:39 pm »
After much debate, I order the CROS system for a trial period of 3 months. I will get them on May 1st. I post an update once i have feedback.
Left side AN 2.9x2.3x2.0 cm removed translab on 11/28/11 by Dr. Blevins at Stanford. Left side facial paralysis with no movement yet.

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 01:19:05 pm »
I'm learning each day how to benefit from my new CROS device.

A) THEATRE: Last night we went to the theatre.  My husband didn't have to sit on my good side to carry on a conversation with me.  In fact, we tested out the impact.  He talked to my bad ear with the device on and with the device off.  With the device on I heard every word.  With it off...nothing well.

B) WALKING A HALLWAY:  This morning while heading to a meeting, my colleague walked on my deaf side.  I heard everything she said and engaged in the conversation without once having to crain my neck.  Also amazing.

C) MEETINGS:Was just at a meeting with many concurrent conversations taking place.  That was a bit more challenging.  BUT, I could now lean into the person sitting on my deaf side and hear them well.  In the past, I would have had to crain my neck.

D) IN THE CAR:  When driving the car and having my two boys in the back, it is sometimes hard to hear the questions coming
from my deaf side.  With the CROS, I'm able to hear it all.

The audiologist gave me the ability to raise and lower the volume of the microphone.  In certainly environments I have found it helpful to raise the volume.  In others, I have lowered it all the way so that it doesn't distract me.  It's a nice feature to have.  Very flexible.

My husband's comment last night, "just to be able to carry on a conversation regardless of how we're sitting is worth the price alone."  I have to agree.  For what we're all trying to correct for, I have to say this technology does a nice job.  It genuinely makes living out life's basic scenarios a bit more manageable.
AN, 9 MM

leeclinton

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 08:54:16 am »
Update: I am 4-weeks into my CROS trial and still love it.  I agree with everything Ross said above.  I basically knew I wanted to keep them after the first week.

One thing I have reflected on lately is that I thought I heard very well with one ear.  I originally thought I would only use the CROS in certain situations.  However, since having it, I am realizing how much better I hear with it.  I find myself wanting to wear them all the time.  I don't have to worry about positioning anymore.  I don't have to concentrate to hear like I did in certain situations when people are on my bad side.

Bottom line: I am still a fan of the CROS!

Lee
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012

BeckyMax

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 07:54:08 pm »
Thanks for the update Lee.  Its nice to know the options and get real feedback from real people.  Did you find the pricing in this area to be similar to that Ross quoted?  I have a sudden loss this week, hoping the steroids bring it back, but its good to be informed when the time comes.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:50 am »
One thing I have reflected on lately is that I thought I heard very well with one ear.  I originally thought I would only use the CROS in certain situations.  However, since having it, I am realizing how much better I hear with it.  I find myself wanting to wear them all the time.  I don't have to worry about positioning anymore.  I don't have to concentrate to hear like I did in certain situations when people are on my bad side.

Bottom line: I am still a fan of the CROS!

Lee

Really good points, Lee.  I'm feeling similarly.  I thought the device would be helpful occasionally, but as I wear them, I find that they help in situtations I hadn't even anticipated.  All good.
AN, 9 MM

cindyj

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 02:06:07 pm »
Been following this thread with interest...in fact, so much interest that I am going to talk w/ an audiologist tomorrow about possibly giving the Cros a try.  I have adapted well to being SSD and just knew the BAHA was not for me, but your positive posts here have made me think I should at least consider the Cros.  My husband might appreciate it ;D 

Will keep you posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 04:37:45 pm »
...My husband might appreciate it ;D 

Will keep you posted,

Cindy

I believe he will, too, Cindy...good luck!
AN, 9 MM

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 12:18:06 am »
As I recently wrote, I mentioned that I would be at a conference and that it would be a great opportunity to truly test out the Phonak CROS.  Okay...it doesn't replace one's hearing, but man, oh, man...what a difference in my ability to participate especially at dinner and in conversations at the bar and all that social stuff.  Honestly...I could finally hear things that were simply impossible before.  After three years of being SSD, I got used to knowing just what it was like in these different environments.  Well...I'm back in the game and those situations that used to frustrate, just don't anymore.

Now...I wish I had my hearing back.  But, until then, I'm really thrilled with the Phonak solution.

Make sure you have extra batteries handy.  They can go at any time over 2-3 days and you want to make sure you're ready.
AN, 9 MM

missdiaz

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 12:12:03 pm »
I just got my CROS on Tuesday, so I wanted to give it a few days before giving any feedback. First of all, I am having a hard time adjusting to having the devices in my ears. My ears are constantly itching. It drives me crazy. I have yet to feel the sensation of not having them in my ears. I also feel I am having trouble hearing in my good ear. I worm them to my book club meeting last night to test them out in a noisy setting. I found myself leaning in to hear the conversations.  I am a petite person and I feel that my ears may be too small and the device blocks my good hearing. Who knows? May be I just need to give it more time or have it adjusted.

As far as the sound quality, I do not like the amplified sound. I feel like I am now hearing the world through a microphone. I guess I am not use to the non-natural sound I get from the device. I find the sounds of crumpling plastic and wind amplifications to be very annoying. I have a 45 day free trail with appointments set every two weeks for adjustments. I'm going to give them a good try for the next month and hope my audiologist can make the proper adjustments durning this time period. I am lucky to have my hearing aids covered by my insurance, but in case anyone needs to know the cost I was quoted $2848.

Left side AN 2.9x2.3x2.0 cm removed translab on 11/28/11 by Dr. Blevins at Stanford. Left side facial paralysis with no movement yet.

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
Missdiaz, I completely get what you're talking about regarding getting used to them in your ears and the microphone sound.

On the ear front, there are adjustments that can me made on the length of the wiring that can help.  I sometimes find I don't notice them and then other time I do. Not sure if that fades over time.

I find that the microphone sound is less pronounced when there's more ambient noise. If I'm in a quieter space I notice it more and turn down the volume of the aids so as not to notice. You can have yours programmed in a similar way. I find it really comes in handy both to lower and amplify when needed.

I still find that it's miracle technology that has allowed me to participate more fully.
AN, 9 MM