Author Topic: GK vs CK - done compulsing  (Read 3035 times)

SGBlons

• Living with uncertainty and great joy!
GK vs CK - done compulsing
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:30 pm »
While I wait for my 6 mo follow-up MRI I have been researching Gamma Knife vs Cyber Knife treatments.  What I noticed was that most clinics promote whichever technology they have, often touting its advantages over the technology they don't have.  Actual research comparing the two is minimal, as far as I have been able to find.  What research there is, including the ANA survey, seems to suggest a small possible advantage of CK in terms of hearing preservation.  It's not clear yet if that slight advantage will hold up over time.

Of course, one never chooses merely a technology, but an entire treatment team.  So it gets even harder to compare one set of results with another.

GK vs CK is just one of those many AN issues that a compulsive person (like me) can go crazy trying to figure out. 

Then I discovered one place that uses both GK and CK in treating AN patients.  It's the Barrow Acoustic Neuroma Center in Phoenix.  I sent a copy of my MRI to them and had a very helpful conversation with Dr. Peter Weisskopf, one of the few individuals who personally uses both GK and CK treatments for AN patients.  In my case he said it probably did not make much difference which I chose, in terms of outcomes, but that for other patients there could be a clear advantage of one over the other.

Therefore, I offer this suggestion to anyone who is leaning toward radiosurgery but who is torn between GK and CK:  Contact Barrow and get a consultation with Dr. Weisskopf. 

If/when the times comes for treatment for me, I now know for certain that I will go to Mayo for GK.  Decision made and done with.  No more compulsing! 
5-7mm AN L; diagnosed 12/9/11
As of June 2014 now 9mm
Still W&W

sunfish

Re: GK vs CK - done compulsing
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:25:12 pm »
Sounds like you really did your research, and a lot of what you said sounds like what I've learned too!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:17:29 pm »
Thank you for the information.  I've been researching all day and feeling overwhelmed, exhausted, and confused.  I know from my past research and posts dealing with this subject that exactly what you say is true; whatever the doctor / facility uses is the best. 

To throw another wrinkle in the research my current doctor uses Novalis Shaped Beam Radiosurgery which doesn't seem to get good marks from forum participants but what research I've done makes it sound like a high breed version of CK and is a good thing.

I will add Dr. Weisskopf to my list of doctors to consult.

Karen 
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Meshell201

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:07 pm »
Thank you for posting the info.  I was diagnosed in February 2012 with a .5cm tumor and have been researching CK and GK.  My appointment at the University of Virginia is not until 11 April.   UVA uses the GK.  Looking forward to your posts on how the procedure went.  My prayers for a successful outcome!