Author Topic: Concerned about additional balance issues?  (Read 3653 times)

lalala80

Concerned about additional balance issues?
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:00:17 am »
I was just diagnosed with Acoustic Neuroma on January 23, 2012.  I did not notice any major balance issues before but I feel like my balance seems to be deteriorating in just the short span since my diagnosis.  I don't know if this is in my head or I always had this and just am now noticing it.  I feel slight unsteadiness standing up from sitting and walking, particularly in low light.  I have also had more pronounces balance issues since I had my balance test yesterday and am wondering if this is a temporary symptom of the test.  I am feeling slight dizziness even from sitting today.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Concerned about additional balance issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:53 pm »
Hi ~

There is no way to tell whether your increasing balance problems are because of your new awareness of your AN or because it is actually growing. While there may be a psychosomatic element at work, there is simply no way to know that for certain.  I would suggest that you contact your doctor and let him/her know about these increasing balance issues.  Also, be cautious and try to avoid a situation where your imbalance could cause a fall.  One medical problem - the AN - is enough.  :)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Ned

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:08:24 pm »
As Jim pointed out, hard to say.  Initially, after my first balance test I felt balance turned worse, but got better with time.  You must be alert regarding your balance,  I've had many falls in the past and a couple of serious ones recently.  I have learned that your feet and eyes play a major role in balance, uneven ground, and low light are boogers.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:12:57 pm »
Hello;

If it's a subjective worsening in one day after testing, my guess is you are now more focused on what's been there for a while.