Author Topic: When to stop watching and waiting  (Read 3296 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
When to stop watching and waiting
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:26 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am concerned when is it time to act on the growth of a tumor?is. It acceptable to follow the advice of several surgeons? Are there generally accepted growth spurts to look for? My tumor has grown only 4mm x 4mmmThere are some here that feel I should still be on watch and wait, some like my doctor wants to blast it with the Gamma Knife.

What would you do?

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: When to stop watching and waiting
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:26:28 am »
Of course i am not a doctor but can tell you how my doctor made the decision that it was time to do something.  I was in W&W for a little over two years.  There was 1-2mm growth per year during that time.  The decision was made when within a six month period my AN just about doubled in size.  That not only alarmed me but the doctor as well.

He told me that it is very unusual for it to grow at that rate and had no real answer as to why.  In my opinion it is key to stay on the same page with the doctors.  If someone should start having additional symptoms they need to consult with their doctor.

Hope this helps
TJ

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:36:57 am »
Any time a AN shows that its in the growing process on your regular interval MRIs, I would think it may be time to intervine. Alot of other factors to include like age, size, symptoms. The object here is also to get the best results with the smaller the AN the easier the procedure (preserve hearing etc.). Most important your choice DR`s... With today`s technology the hardest part is making the decisions.  Best wishes, Mickey P.S. W+W myself, this is my criteria.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:26:30 pm »
Mike ~

I concur with the previous posters that advised you to closely monitor the AN.  Then, if and when your doctor sees a 'spurt' in it's  growth rate, be ready to make a decision on treatment.  Obviously, the larger the tumor, the bigger the risk of it doing irreparable damage and/or making treatment more complicated than it has to be.   As always, the ultimate decision on when and how to address your AN is yours, alone.  Doctors certainly can advise (and we can make suggestions) but you decide, not them, certainly not us, because, for better or worse, you have to live with the consequences of your decision.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.