Author Topic: It's official!  (Read 3670 times)

trev0024

It's official!
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »
Hi everyone, just scheduled my retro sigmoid surgery for March 20th at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I can't believe this is actually happening! The more I have looked into this AN and approach my surgery the more I am learning to appreciate the support this website provides. I hope to use this more and more as my big day approaches and start the recovery process. Anyone else scheduled around that time for surgery? Well, thanks for all of your advice and support. You have all been very helpful in coming to this decision!

Jeremy
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: It's official!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:31 pm »
I've finally made the BIG decision. Good for you. I will say anxiety really does suck. Everyone here is wonderful and comforting. Mayo in MN...where do you live?
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

trev0024

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »
Duluth, MN. It's a beautify city in northern MN on Lake Superior. It's about a 4 hr drive to Rochester where I'm having surgery. I'm a little concerned about the LONG car ride home after surgery.
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:19:39 am »
Just take many rest stop breaks to stretch and move around.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:28:20 pm »
Jeremy ~

Congratulations on scheduling your AN surgery.  At this point, you're halfway through your AN journey.  Surgery & recovery come next. We're here to support you as you approach the Big Day as well as during your recovery. Please try to keep us updated.  As far as pre-op anxiety goes: if you didn't have any, I'd think you were (a) superhuman or, (b) lying.  Although anxiety is normal at this point, try to distract yourself and be as relaxed as you can, knowing that you're doing something that is necessary (surgery) and that you're in good hands.  We wish you all the best.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »
Good luck, Jeremy you're halfway there! Congratulations!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

ombrerose4

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »
Jeremy,

Wishing you a successful surgery and recovery, we are here to support you. Deciding on your plan of treatment is the biggest hurdle and you have crossed it:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

chrisransom

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:36 pm »
Jeremy - good luck to you!  I met with Drs Link and Driscoll in my initial journey of discovery a year ago.  I liked them and their approach.  Once you're back up and chipper again I'd like to hear about your experience at Mayo. We have similar sized ANs but my symptoms are mild - what brought you to this forum?

Again,  good luck and God bless!

Chris
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:35 am »
Congrats on the decision!!  For me that was the worst part of this whole journey!! Now just know that you are no longer in the driver's seat...so just sit back and enjoy the ride and know that the decision you made was the right one! Good luck and let us know how it goes between now and then! :
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston