Author Topic: 101 ways to lose your balance ?  (Read 18653 times)

tony

101 ways to lose your balance ?
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:30:33 am »
Been a bit too serious of late- time to lighten up a bit
Thought I would relate how the new single balance nerve
is shaping up - others should chime in with their own experiances.
So it was a B-B-Q - new balance, no problem
The garden was on a 35 deg slope - no problem
Then it got dark - (amazingly) no problem
Then I sank 2-3 bottles of Sauvingon
At which point the new balance said
"you have got to be Zarking kidding"
and took the evening off.
I lost traction control, ABS and Dynamic stability
more or less at the same time
"Bambi on Ice" comes to mind.
I didnt connect with the ground
(New balance must have taken "Gravity" to a disco earlier
when it left)
I am told I am at a difficult age.....
Best regards
Tony

Boppie

Re: 101 ways to lose your balance ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:35:52 am »
I bought a mini tramp to gain some balance skills.  I put the darn thing together, and it was a just challenge to snap it the joints in place with two feet.  The sequencing of the parts and reading of the directions nearly made me nuts. 

The 5 year old twins came to see my new toy.  One chubby boy hops on and springs up and down and then tustles with the other twin to defend his territory on the 28" "stage".  The second boy hops on and jumps up and down, lifting his knees and feet up to his bottom and slamming his feet down like a trampoline expert.  Then they say, "You go, Bop" (that's my knickname).  Boppie climbs on and tries one little bounce...tipped right forward...couldn't catch myself.  A new thing to learn.  Bouncing! ;D

Unpdate [Gently bouncing and tipping to music on the mini tramp, that is really fixing me!  This week I volunteered to help my daughter-in-law wallpaper the bathroom.  I had a small business doing this in the 80's.  But this time I get to do the cut and paste and SHE gets to do the placements.  Good idea, huh?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:33:09 pm by Boppie »

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 05:16:24 am »
Gardening is a passion.  Hubby built a raised bed garden thinking it would make raising tomatoes easier.  Cages all around to keep the vines straight and critters out.  I reached in to grab a big red and what do you know?  I ended up stuck between four cages and couldn't get up!  My two Pugs ran to my rescue--------licking my face and leg.  It took hubby ten minutes to figure out where I was!  PT said, "Well don't garden anymore."  Hubby said, "I will build it higher."  I hope all have a wonderful day.
Brenda ::)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 05:50:54 am »
OMG! Brenda!  I'm a pug parent as well!!!!! 

My funny balance issue... walking Beanie (my pug) at night, leaning over to scoop her "business".... I do a great impression of a weeble.  I've learned to bend a certain way at the knees, then bending at my hips to scoop the poo... quite a funny sight!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 06:04:33 am »
I hated that trampoline at therapy!!  Boppie why on earth would you want to live with one?   ;D  It did help though  ;)
Everyone asks me what would happen if i'd indulge if it would make my balance seem normal?  LOL  I think a few of my friends think well heck if  you feel like you're drunk you might as well be drunk  LOL

Obita

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 06:23:29 am »
When your AN friend Denise talks you into walking heel - toe.  I did it just fine with a two story building to hang on to.  Take the building away and...........I don't want to know.  I better not ever get pulled over and asked to do THAT on the side of the freeway!!  "may I please hang on to your squad car officer?"
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 06:51:08 am »
Phyl,

Too cool.  These are my second and fourth Pugs.  Sara's Sunshine Lady is nine (she loves to dress-up).  She is a fawn Ming Toy and is quite chubby but small.  Sophie LaRoo is a Black standard and is three and half months old, full of energy and fun.  I have a stroller for Sara, it stabilizes me, and Sophie does a pretty good job of getting tangled with the leash.  It is too hot here to walk them now, but they have a pet door and big fenced yard they use.  Hubby is on pick up duty.  He doesn't want the same thing that happened with the tomotoes to happen with the poop!  Lucky me!! They are very spoiled.  They even have an ice dispenser that they nudge and get ice in their bowl.  Don't ask, my hubby hooked it up! :o
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Dabs4811

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 09:52:48 am »
What wonderful people there are in this group.  So good to share and encourage.  Thanks for being there.   P.S.  I have six Bostons

Dee
Dee (my mom still calls me Dolores) :-)
Translab 4/27/06, Hearing loss on right side
Michigan Ear Institute — Dr. Kartush
64 years old, have 6 Boston Terriers

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 07:18:49 pm »
My story...I took my 12 year old granddaughter to an amusement park.  Thinking to myself that this isn't really a very bright idea on my part.  We went on some pretty benign rides (ie ferris wheel, bumper cars, etc.), obviously this didn't last to long with a 12 year old and her "I think I'm 17 grandfather".  We went on some of the killer rides, and to my total amazement, as I watched everyone stagger off rides like the Tilt-a-whirl, and Roller Coaster, I was the only one that didn't get dizzy.  Apparently it takes two balance nerves to mess up your mind when on Amusement Park rides!!!  And my granddaughter thinks her granddad is awesome, and I think, for once, I agree with her ;D
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 09:00:09 pm »
My favorite way to lose my balance is to hear the phone ring, not find it on its cradle, frantically look around for it cuz I can't tell by hearin' it where the heck it is, and then step on the dogs slimy chew-bone running for it and take a full body-slam onto the hardwood floor. Yep, I have done this three times--the first time I did not manage to put my arms out to break my fall which is an automatic response to a sudden gravitational shift (like pulling your hand back from a hot stove) and WHAP right on the face. The second time was a little better, and by the third time I landed just right and thought "Damn! I'm getting LOTS better at this!"

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 06:02:32 am »
Capt.:
Do you get phone calls that are that important?! Let the machine pick it up and call them back when you find the phone girl!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

antoinette

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 07:41:13 am »
Geez, I wish Sauvignon was the culprit. My balance needs only a little walk in the bright sun, along the slim trees shading my garden. The effect is similar to walking besides bars, the sun flickers and my eyes do not react fast enough to shrink with the light and dilate in the shade. I find myself in no time resting on the rockery with bruised elbows and wrists, but it has cut my fall by half . I am glad for that.
Also, it is nice to blame something else that my dead ear.
Hello Tony.
antoinette

tony

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 08:52:16 am »
Why Antionette - the list has you as a junior member
does this mean you are still at school ?
Bon jour
Mon Amie

antoinette

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 09:12:56 am »
Tony, I still feel like 16 going on 80. Once a junior...
I am not a lurker but I post only when I have something to say which could help people. So, since I am a "wait and watch", I do not have much to say.
But, for example, I noticed lately a almost complete disappearance of my tinnitus. I am wondering why and making note what makes it come back. I am noticing at the same time an improvement in my hair thickness and texture. I make notes again of what I ate or stopped eating. As for the rest it seems to remain the same. But there is definitely an improvement and it must be the supplements i have decided to take. My nails are now so strong and no more pain in the kidney area. And that I know now for certain what I have to thank for it. Glucosamine has now proven it was badly needed. It is affecting positively more than my joints. The bones also seems to profit. Arthritis has gone with the tinnitus. Did I find something?
I will go back to the farm to morrow. Oddly I can read the ANA there but not the other lists although they are yahoo's too. I can send only when I visit a friend with all computer facilities. But again not to the other lists.
I will have to see into that soon.
Amities de Toronto,
antoinette

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 01:22:25 pm »
My husbnd returned from a ball game with a new toy for the grandsons.  I thought it was a gag gift for me.  Well no, he hadn't thought about it, but the bobble heads on the characters reminded me of someone.  How funny to watch.  I don't look like that most of the time. ;D  A good belly laugh is so healthy.

Update:  Today my daughter invited me to smell the bloom on the Plummeria.  I step up to the blossom an take a sniff.  Oops,...pitching forward on the toes, looking like an 11 month old trying to make it to the couch! :D 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 11:40:40 pm by Boppie »