Author Topic: Is Vanderbilt on the list of good places to go?  (Read 6695 times)

chance1212

Is Vanderbilt on the list of good places to go?
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »
I have seen many references to different hospitals for surgery. What about Vanderbilt in Nashville?
I don't have any problem going out of state...but my bank account might along with Cigna.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

JerseyGirl2

Re: Is Vanderbilt on the list of good places to go?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:32:47 pm »
I don't live in Nashville, but spend a lot of time there with my elderly Mother. At least one forum member, Lori67, had her AN surgery in Nashville by, I believe, doctors who are affiliated with Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt's medical department has an excellent reputation and their Bill Wilkerson Hearing and Speech Center does too. I'll admit to some prejudice as I'm a Vanderbilt alum.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:20:44 am »
 I had my AN surgery in Memphis but I have used Vanderbilt for several follow up matters.  They seem to follow a team approach and I have appreciated that aspect.  Lori67 should chime in.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:28:03 pm »
Lori (lori67) really liked her doctors.

She's not on the Forum as often these days - she tends to be on Facebook - send her a PM if you want more info from her.

Her partner in crime  ;D , Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:13:53 am »
I had a heart surgery from a doctor trained at Vanderbilt. The hospital here recruited him because of his skill he learned there...PFO closures. Lousy football team! He loved being there.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:55 am »
Lousy football team!

But they are getting better! As a Vanderbilt alum, I appreciate the fact that they emphasize academics over an attempt to be a powerhouse in the Southeastern Conference!

Sorry for the off-topic reply  :)

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

chance1212

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »
Catherine--what does BAHA Intenso mean? Do you find the BAHA beneficial?
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

Ned

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:40 pm »
Haven't had great experience there, lived here all my 62 years.  Had colon surgery there 5 years ago, bad experience.  Met with a neurosurgeon there in my my deciding treatment, he was missing 2 fingers on each hand, my wife and I freaked, prefer brain surgeons with all their fingers.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

chance1212

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:31:00 am »
Ned, That must be Dr. Haynes. I actually was wondering if he had a frostbite incident. I think I will inquire on that a bit more. My first visit to Vandy last July was so-so. I felt like my symptoms were being brushed off as not related to the small AN I have. This past month, I guess maybe because it had grown 4mm in 7 months, I was very satisfied with the visit. I had also gone and gotten a 2nd opinion with Schwabber. He mixed me up twice with another patient and did not return calls after a procedure which I had a not so good time afterwards. Needless to say not going that route any more. I'm glad I have time to figure this out. So I notice you have the Sarah Cannon center listed. Did you have surgery there?
J. Hildebrandt

Ned

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:29:18 am »
I,too, go to Dr. Scwarber, typical wait to see him is an hour and a half, no one apologizes it is what it is.  I am looking for someone else to help me, but not many good options.  I didn't have surgery at Sarah Cannon, I decided for 26 days of FSR.  I liked their machine, same one as Mass Gen uses, their director Dr. Gray was great, they just don't treat that many AN patients.  Of all the surgeons we interviewed I liked Haynes the best but couldn't get past the missing fingers.  He seemed focused on Ret Sig approach.  Gary Jackson does more surgeries than anyone in town, HEI refers patients to him that need Trans Lab, he's the go to guy if you choose that approach. St. Thomas has a guy, I think his name is Abrams, that seems on his game, they take a team approach with Radiologists and surgeons and review cases once a week in a group setting. Paul Rosenblatt, head of Radiation/Oncology, is a friend of mine and I trust his opinion.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:24 am »
Catherine--what does BAHA Intenso mean? Do you find the BAHA beneficial?

It's a more powerful version of the standard Cochlear BAHA, which has now been replaced by the upgraded BP-100. I think there's also an upgraded version of the Intenso model as well. I will defer to other BAHA users re: reports on usefulness, etc. If you search the forum on BAHA you will find zillions of posts!

You might also search on posts by Forum member Lori67 (I think that's correct) -- she had her AN surgery performed in Nashville at St. Thomas and, as I recall, was happy with the results.

Even though I live in NJ I spend much of my time in Nashville; my mother is in an assisted-living facility there. I think the Vanderbilt medical community is top-notch; the Bill Wilkerson Speech and Hearing Center (also at VU) is excellent, too. Had I not opted for House Research Institute (formerly House Ear Institute), Vanderbilt would have been on my list in addition to NYC.
Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ

chance1212

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 02:39:13 pm »
I will definitely stick with Vanderbilt. Dr. Haynes is at the top of the field with regards to ANs. His hands --he's actually not "missing" any complete fingers--- are not a factor as far as his ability to do surgeries successfully--his record is witness to this.

I am not going for the radiation. When it's time I am opting for translab with Haynes.

Thanks for the BAHA info. I really need some kind of assistance with hearing after this AN is eventually out. I was hoping that it was a possibility prior to surgery but it's not. They keep improving them while I wait so that's great.
J. Hildebrandt