Author Topic: Sending emails most recently to Judy Vitucci and Dr. Ducic  (Read 5657 times)

Mei Mei

Sending emails most recently to Judy Vitucci and Dr. Ducic
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:20:58 pm »
Dear all,
I was at the Symposium last June in Cincinnati.   A woman from Texas said that she was sending emails and had not memory of sending them.   She took the words right out of my mouth.   Now most recently, I sent one to Judy and Dr. Ducic and Dr. Moriarity with a link to the Sound Bite thread.   After this surgery and the occipital nerve block where I was put on life support, I have word retrieval problems where before, I could whip off sentences of high technical content with no problem.  Now as I type this email I have a terrible problem with word retrieval and even remembering the emails that I send.    I've talked this over with the psychologist in the National Rehab Center.   She said that the loss of memory is either from all the meds that were put in my head (anesthethia or occipital nerve blocks) and stress.   I am very embarrassed about sending emails to Judy Viticucci and to Dr. Ducic and Dr. Moriarity.    I have to recover from this or give up my computer.   

Are any of you besides the woman I met at the Symposium experiencing this loss of memory when sending emails and word retrieval problems?   I had myself tested last summer and my IQ dropped by  40 points.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

dragonmama

Re: Sending emails most recently to Judy Vitucci and Dr. Ducic
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:04:51 am »
I'm on watch and wait, so I haven't had any surgery that could cause memory problems. I've noticed problems with word retrieval too, and with my working memory. I'll have four or five tasks in mind that I have to do or a sequence that has to be completed, but as I get into the first task, the rest slip out of my memory. I've never forgotten something that I've *done* - my long-term memory seems fine. I just forget what I have to do. Needless to say, I have lists all over the place, and when I have to rely on my memory, I internally repeat my list many times until it sticks.

I can't say whether this is related to my AN, or the stress related to my AN. I experienced similar memory problems with both my pregnancies and when my children were infants, when sleep-deprivation and hormones can cause memory problems. I'm perimenopausal right now and memory problems are a known symptom of the hormone fluctuations of perimenopause.

I also experience memory problems when my allergies are acting up, or I have a cold. Congestion in the head can cause these same problems. There's been some recent research that shows that having a headcold impairs your memory and reaction times just as much as having the equivalent of one alcoholic beverage per hour does.

Regardless of what's *causing* the memory problems, it can feel debilitating and I really empathize with you Mei Mei. Are you having problems with word retrieval only when you write, or also when you speak to people? I do it more when speaking - when writing I have enough time to think about it, or can type ahead and go back and fill in the missing word later, when it springs to mind.
Left SSD since 2010
Diagnosed 7/2011
Retrosigmoid 21 June, 2013
AN 2 cm
Left side palsy from stretched 7th nerve
Chronic neck pain, muscle spasms, headaches

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
I'm pre-treatment and have noticed problems with my word retrieval a lot when speaking to people.  My memory isn't that great either.  I'm not sure if it's related to the AN or just the stress of all of it.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »
I wonder if some of this could be from anxiety?  I read some where that the dizziness can be caused by anxiety as much as from the AN.  I, too, have problems with word retrieval especially when speaking and some memory problems but I was thinking it was just part of the aging process or possibly anxiety.   :-\

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:51 am »
THank you first of all for sending your thoughts on this issue that has plagued me over the past year.   I've had three bouts of anesthesia including the disaster at Cleveland Clinic in Dec. 2010.
I send emails late at night and say things I wouldn't ordinarily say and send them without any memory of them.

Also when I type, I type the homonym for the word and this happens often.   I never did this before  (won for one and more)   I used to type faster than I think.   I still can but now it is loaded with errors.

I also go into a room and forget why I went upstairs or into the kitchen so I just stand there and then leave.   I get downstairs or back into the dining room and then remember why.     When I am talking with people, I find I am having word retrieval problems where I didn't before.    I think it has something to do with too much anesthesia and the brain trauma  which is what the doctors call it when the occipital nerve block at Cleveland Clinic was done wrong and the doctor injected the Kenelog and Bipuvocaine directly into my brain putting me on life support.
Now am looking at another surgery for  next Friday needing of course.
In May I am going to a memory doctor and a motor disorders. doctor.

I hope your issues get better.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:15 pm »
Mei Mei hugs to you and I'm keeping you in prayer, good luck this Friday.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back