Author Topic: Decision time (retro sigmoid or trans lab)  (Read 10026 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Decision time (retro sigmoid or trans lab)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »
Jeremy ~

For what it's worth: I was concerned that the Retrosigmoid approach AN surgery my neurosurgeon had proposed would leave me with headaches...something I never experienced prior to the surgery.  He reassured me that: "my AN patients don't get headaches".  This was surprising based on what I had read and that this doctor was usually quite modest.  However, I fully trusted him and he was proven correct.  I did not experience headaches, post-op - or in the six years since my AN debulking surgery.  Follow-up FSR (3 months later) did not produce any headaches, either.  I suspect that headaches following 'retro' AN surgery are, to some extent, contingent on the skill of the doctor performing the surgery.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:07:18 pm »
Some experience headaches and facial "issues" with retrosigmoid, but that hasn't been my experience.

I had slight facial paralysis - first 24 hours post op - but a single dose of steroids cleared it up.

I've also never had headaches either before or after my surgery.

I also had a pretty quick recovery - was back to work part-time (desk job) 2 1/2 weeks post op and full-time 4 weeks post op.

I chose retrosigmoid in the hopes of savings my (diminished) hearing, but I ended up SSD.

I've never regretted my choice.  I would have regretted just having my docs automatically "take" my hearing through the translab approach.

But this is just me and my experience.

You have to do what you think is best for you.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cindyswart

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »
I had retro, was working from home within a week and 1/2- back at the office in 3 weeks. The recovery will depend on you! The lifting issue is because every time you lift anything your body involuntarily causes you to hold your breath. This increases pressure inside the skull, not advisable after there has been a hole put there.  I am 6 months post op and back to my life, by the time they removed my right side AN , it was golf ball sized and growing. I am SSD, but in reality this is only a problem in crowded venues. My left side balance was already compensating so losing my right side balance nerve did not cause much dizziness or balance issues. It is brain surgery and you will feel really zapped for a while, but take it slow and be good to yourself.  The sun comes up in the same place the next morning and will wait for you!
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

trev0024

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:08 pm »
I just want thank everyone for sharing your experiences and kind words. This has been very helpful and I'm grateful to have found this website. Retro scheduled Tues. March 20th at Mayo in Rochester, MN.

I will be here often I'm sure as I recover.
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

nftwoed

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 02:36:15 pm »
Hi trev0024;

I've been a Drs Driscoll/Link pt. for 12 years as have NF-2.  My feeling is Mayo docs are very conservative in pursuance of Tx and projection of outcomes. UIHC and Dr. Gantz aren't quite so conservative.
  Would have to say 0 -5% is pretty low though, even from Link. He gave me 15% and I decided to do nothing. Am deaf now, but can hear environmental sound with HA.
  All considered, with your already 40-60% hearing, I'd opt for Translab if this were my choice.
  Of course, Dr. D will tell you more RS's have been done than any other surgical type. True.
  But, I would ask those fellows how many RS's they've done as both Drs are fairly young b-4 embarking that route. Link is more quick with answers.