Author Topic: Can hearing return?  (Read 2193 times)

lrobie

Can hearing return?
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »
Even though the decision is still up in the air, whether to have surgery, the doctor is now recommending translab.  He said he could still do middle-fossa but the risk to the facial nerve is higher.  Translab will cause total deafness.  If I were to go with middle fossa, is it possible that after removing the tumor my hearing could come back...at least partially?  I still can hear sounds in my ear (not just the tinnitus).  What I can't hear is all the words in a conversation using that ear on the phone or if someone is talking to me from that side.  At times, I also can't tell what side a sound came from.  I'm currently going through a phase of asking myself why I W&W'ed.  Maybe I wouldn't have lost some of my hearing.   :(
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Can hearing return?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »
Lisa ~

Unfortunately (to the best of my knowledge - I'm not a doctor ) once lost, hearing does not return.  The nerve damage is irreversible. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.