Author Topic: How long off work with the Translabyrinthine approach ?  (Read 14146 times)

tx-anp

How long off work with the Translabyrinthine approach ?
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:30:04 pm »
A couple questions for anyone who has gone through the Translabyrinthine surgery...

1. I know this all depends on what complications arise, but on average, how long were you out of work following the Translabyrinthine surgery?

2. Again, I know this is different for everyone, but approximately how long until you can resume exercising such as running, lifting weights, playing basketball, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: How long off work with the Translabyrinthine approach ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:09:12 pm »
I don't have answer to your question but I did want to say hello and welcome. Where and when are you having your surgery?

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

JAndrews

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:12:02 pm »
I couldn't lift anything for 4 weeks per post-op instruction--but I waited 6 weeks just to be on the safe side. The fatigue was pretty bad for several months. I went back to work at 5 months post-op. But we are all different in our recovery. I didn't have any physical issues--just fatigue.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

tx-anp

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »
Thanks... I'm having my surgery March 1st in Dallas Texas.
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »
Hi and welcome,
I had translab surgery Oct. 27. I did not have to return to work as I am retired. I believe if you don't have any major complications, about 6 weeks is what Dr would recommend. Each person/situation being different. I would not have wanted to go back that quickly as I am about 13weeks  in recovery now and getting used to the SSD, single sided deafness, is a major issue for me. Being in a crowd is difficult. I did not drive for about 6 weeks, but then it was Christmas time and traffic was horrendous. It is all going to depend on you and how well you do in surgery. I had my facial nerve involved also so am dealing with facial paralysis and that has been hard to get used to,, but of course, you may not have that either. It will also depend on what type of work you do.. you sound as if you are young and athletic,, if so, you will probably "bounce" back rather quickly. Attitude is VERY important to recovery.. You will want to get around, walk , MAYBE run, but I don't think team sports will be in the picture for several months.. just the jarring of my head hurts to think about that !! :) My ear and side of face were very numb and sensitive for several weeks. In fact , ear is still pretty numb although , I do have much less tingling on side of head and face is about to feel "normal" again. everyone comes through this experience differently, that is one thing you will learn from this forum if you read many stories.. so it is hard to say exactly what time frames you will encounter.. you will most likely experience fatigue to a great degree to begin with as your brain heals, but walking is good and encouraged for most to get your balance back and strength.. good luck to you, I am sure you will do well.. and as with all,, we will have you in our thoughts and prayers,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

VPCO

• Victoria
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:36:01 pm »
Hi!  I had translab Oct. 26, 2011.  I was off for 7 full weeks, then did 2 weeks of 20 hours each.  I am a telecommuter with a desk job, so physically pretty easy plus no commute or sitting in a noisy or over lit office all day.

When I returned to full-time, it was the holidays, so of my first 4 full-time weeks, three were 4-day weeks, which helped immensely!

I posted updates (in this section) at 5 weeks and again at 12 weeks, which may or may not help you prepare.

It's been 14 or 15 weeks now, and I am still pretty fatigued and needing extra sleep.  I can't do the overtime I would like to or would normally do.  I am almost 41, if that factors in : )

I, personally, would not recommend weights or contact sports for a while.  I think 4 weeks/40 days is the official advice before lifting more than 10 pounds.  Walk as much as possible in the early weeks, and your body will let you know when it is ready fora little more intensity.
4.1 cm  AN diagnosed 8.29.2011
Translab surgery at House - October 26, 2011
Drs. Fayad and Schwartz
central Colorado

tx-anp

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:04:39 pm »
Thank you very much for all your feedback!  My situation sounds similiar to yours VPCO, same age, same desk job.  I told my boss I would probably be out about 6 weeks, so I'm hoping everything goes smooth.  Is there anything you would recommend I do pre-surgery to help my post-surgery go smooth?
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012

lrobie

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »
Just curious to those who have had their sugeries at House and don't live there.  Who gives you your doctor's release to return to work?
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 02:42:18 pm »
Good question. I will have to ask when I am there. I believe if you follow your post op care plan and your doing well then you can go back depending on what you job is I guess  ???
I know others will chime in to let us know.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

mk

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »
I too had surgery far from home. I got the official letter stating that I could go back to work from my family doctor.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

JAndrews

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:26:50 pm »
I was told by Dr. Brackmann and Schwartz I could do anything I wanted at 4 weeks--no restrictions. Easier said than done:) When I returned to work they faxed a release to work for me..my job required it. I didn't go back to work for 5 months--the fatigue was overwhelming. But my children were only 5 months and 2 yrs at that time so that may have added to the fatigue. Other than that I had no physical problems. The ssd takes time to get used too.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

VPCO

• Victoria
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:02:38 pm »
Hi, again!  This is Victoria (VPCO); sorry I didn't sign my previous note.  Not very personal, and not like me : )

Sounds like you're athletic, so you are in pretty good health overall?  That should help.  After the surgery, I just followed the instructions to the best of my ability plus walked as much as my energy level would let me, which, of course, helped build my energy level back up.  I didn't push it to extremes, though.  The advice of those on the forum was walk, walk, walk (I think to help regain balance, too), but LISTEN to your body when it wants to rest!

Before the surgery, here are a few notes that I shared on the forum, which may or may not be applicable to you.  If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask on this post or send me a personal message.  You're right that every recovery is individual, but the information I learned on the forum helped me so much and helped to calm my nerves beforehand.

MY OWN SURGERY PREP
Health Care Power of Attorney
I didn't have a will, power of attorney, or health care power of attorney. We set these up before surgery and brought my health care POA to the hospital. The woman checking us in seemed a little surprised that I had one and had it with me.

CaringBridge
My aunt told me about CaringBridge.org, and Jeff set up a site for me; it is an easy way to provide surgery and recovery updates to a large group of people, which so many people have told me were most appreciated.

A month before surgery
I had my hair cut short, stopped drinking wine, and weaned myself of coffee.

I was coffee-free 2 weeks before. The doctors did not say to do this, but I understand red wine to be an anticoagulant, and I wasn't sure I'd get coffee in the hospital, and if I had a headache I wanted to be sure that it wasn't caffeine-related. (I ate and drink nothing the day of surgery and in ICU, but I think you can order coffee with your breakfast once in a normal hospital room.)

Though only a small section behind my ear was shaved, having shorter hair has been much less taxing to wash and dry each day during recovery.

The night before surgery
I read that eating tomato, eggplant, or potato the day before surgery could cause a body to respond unpredictably to anesthesia, so I avoided them the last day. I did have a glass of wine with dinner because Dr. Stefan said I could, and I figured it would be a while until I had one again.

It may be way too much information, but if you would like to read my very detailed 5 week post-surgery update, I wrote it for anyone facing translab that had similar questions to mine pre-surgery:
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=16325.0

Or my 12 week update:
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=16490.0

Good luck!
4.1 cm  AN diagnosed 8.29.2011
Translab surgery at House - October 26, 2011
Drs. Fayad and Schwartz
central Colorado

Goldie

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:15 pm »
I had translab just over two years ago with an excellent recovery.  My surgeon had recommended that I be off for 3 months, and that's exactly what I did.  I have a desk job that can be stressful, so it wasn't a matter of physical work.  I felt ready to go back when I did but, again, each person is different.

I second the recommendation for CaringBridge.  I actually only used it for a couple of weeks, but it was very helpful for both my husband and me to keep everyone informed during that time.  Friends and family really appreciated the updates. 

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery!

Denise from Minnesota
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

rvb755

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 08:29:34 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I live in Michigan and had my Translab surgery at House in California.  I returned to work 4 weeks to the day after my surgery.  My first day back was a Wednesday so I had a partial week the first week back.  I only started driving about 4 days prior to returning to work.  I was granted permission to return to work by a doctor in Michigan who I consulted with prior to deciding where to have the surgery done.  He told me he was willing to do follow up work for me if I decided to go to House, and he will be going over my 6 month MRI later this month also.  I don't remember when I began exercising, but it was probably about 2-3 months after surgery.  I am almost 6 months post surgery now and I still struggle finding the energy to work out in the evenings - still get tired many days.  Best wishes to you in your journey.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD