Author Topic: Anyone else???  (Read 5701 times)

Archer

Anyone else???
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:13:56 pm »
I got a new cell phone today.  I am trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the thing and am getting somewhat confused now and then.  It just doesn’t work the same as the old one.

Anyway my first test was of course to try calling and answering calls.  I was at my desk and picked up my desk phone and called my cell phone.  I answered the call and talked to myself but could not talk back.  I couldn’t hear a thing on the cell phone.  So I tried again.  I picked up my desk phone and called my new cell.  I answered the call and talked to my desk phone and all was good.  I picked up the handset of my desk phone and tried to talk to my cell phone and it just wouldn’t work.  I was getting so frustrated I was ready take the cell phone and stuff it somewhere the sales rep would not enjoy.  Then it came to me.  I haven’t been able to hear a cell phone through that ear for ten years.  After switching ears everything worked just fine.   I felt so stupid.  I’m just glad no one was watching. 

Does anyone else forget once in a while?

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Anyone else???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:18:56 pm »
I did something like this last May in a hotel. I kept trying to call the front desk. Three times I tried...until I remembered I was deaf on that side and had taken my baha off.

It is best when these things happen privately.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »
LOL!!!!
Thanks for the chuckle.   ;D

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16:52 am »
Ha!  You are not alone!  My family laughs at me all the time because, while I'm sitting in the living room talking on the phone, I'll put my hand over my deaf ear to "block out the noise" :P

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:54 pm »
I did this for awhile when I began to lose hearing in my AN-affected ear.  Now, I know better.  However, if a room gets noisy, I still inadvertently cover my (deaf) ear when talking on the phone - but usually realize pretty quickly that this is unnecessary.  :-[   Lifelong habits die hard.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lou

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 05:47:46 pm »
some of the things we do ;D I forgot my name yesterday. Had a phone call from my doctor, the only person who calls me by my proper name and title, I said 'who' she then asked if I was having a neroma day..
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

chloes mema

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »
Lou that's funny, "a neuroma day".  I think I also have those.  I'm also thinking I'm starting to use my AN to my advantage or some would say as a crutch; "I can't do that because I have an AN."  I find myself starting to say that then I stop mid sentence.   :o

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:58:19 pm »
Haven't had the issue of putting my phone up to my "bad" ear, but once when I was using my iPod with a single ear bud I couldn't figure out why I heard no sound.

I thought my iPod was broken until I realized I'd put the ear bud into my left ear - and it hasn't heard a thing since 5-31-07.

Duh!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chloes mema

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »
Jan I've done similar thing with my iPod although I still use both ear buds.  Every once in a while I can't figure out why the sound has dropped so low then I realize the right ear bud has either moved or come totally out.   ::) 

Can hear faintly with my left AN ear but not much.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Lou

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:28:25 pm »
 ;D It is so wonderful to keep a sense of humour.  I find it is the key to sanity...... Yes I do have 'neuroma days' and sometimes use it to my advantage. '' Sorry honey I would do the painting, but I might get dizzy'' I know, I know - I also think my husband does too ;D
Lou
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »
Yep, I've got my hand up to admit to putting the phone up to my deaf side.

"Having a neuroma day" is now my reason for everything from now on.  ;D

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:54:53 am »
This is not something I've done, likely because I'm right handed and it's the left ear that's useless.
Something I have done is answer a phone that isn't ringing......not a problem at home but rather embarrassing at work (share office with many), especially when I dash across the room to answer it!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:26 pm »
How about this guys? Has anyone had trouble distinguishing sounds near and with SSD? Or hearing somebody talk in one room while the sink is on in the kitchen and the TV is on in the other? Sometimes it is enough to drive one nuts!!! ::)

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 02:43:02 am »
Hi Mike
Every single day.  :P

Suu xoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks