Author Topic: Back from Steamboat Springs Ski Trip  (Read 4332 times)

waypoint

Back from Steamboat Springs Ski Trip
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:39:28 pm »
Don't know why the original post didn't show the pics... please see my second post below.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:06:35 pm by waypoint »
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

waypoint

Re: Back from Steamboat Springs Ski Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »
I don't know what happened to the pictures. Lets try again.

All, I'm back from our winter ski trip to Steamboat Springs. Sorry for not responding back to everyone sooner.  I try to dissconnect from the internet when I'm on vacation.  Actually, I returned this past Tuesday, but was out of town for Leadership meetings for work till today. Back to my ski report.

Skiing/snowboarding was and is a passion of mine pre and post AN.   One of my goals was to not let AN steal from me what I loved to do. The trip was great abeit it there could have been more snow and colder. Our planned dinner sleigh ride was canceled because of rain. Yes, rain.  It only got really cold enough for the snow to stay snow at the base on the last day we were there.  Up at the top of the mountain, it was colder and the snow was more plentiful.  Here is a bluebird panoramic shot from our balcony of the mountain on our last day.

This is a pic of me on skis and my wonderful wife Kim. Her sister took the opportunity to take a shot of my laying down, because I rarely every wipeout. More on my wipeout later.  Skiing and snowboarding have been very theraputic for me.  It allows me to work and improve my balance issues. And if I fall, well, I just get right back up.

So let me share with you what happened to me on one of my last runs on the second day.

That's me standing on my 1992, 20 yr old snowboard. Yes, I was snowboarding before snowboard was cool. One of the longest runs at Steamboat is about 6miles comprised of switchbacks that cut across blue and black runs.  Coming down one hard green turn,  my shoe felt like it came unlocked from my snowboard causing me to fishtail wildly and missing the turn completely. I go endo over the edge down the embakement of a blue run head over heels. The image can only be described as the tasmanian devil cartoon on Bugs Bunny if you are old enough to remember. I looked like a tornado of snow rolling hallway down the blue run. I couldn't understand why my boot had come unlocked.  In shock and disbelief, I looked down at my back binding to inspect it.  I come to realize that my boot was still intact but had completely separated from the sole which was still locked into my board.  I guess 20yrs, was pass the expiration date on my pair of boots. By this time, my group was gone and they had no idea I had wiped out. I was also on the backside of the mountain heading away from the condo. I slowly regained my composure and scooted down to flat spot realizing there was no way I was going to snowboard down the rest of the way in this condition.  I took off my board and started walking what felt like a mile hike on a flat flat run which I later fould out was called "Flat Out".  Did I mention this run was flat. I guess everyone else knew it was flat, because I did not see another person on this run during my 20 min hike back to civilization. I finally got back around to the other side of the mountain fall line which goes back to the condo but I was still about 2+ miles up with no way to get down, short of walking. Being a big fan of MacGyver TV shows (if your old enough to remember those Richard Dean Anderson shows), my mind was racing trying to come up with a solution. Lucky for me, I had a leash with a quick release clip on my back leg. Its a safety harness, like when surfing if you wipe out, the board and you at least stay together. All I had to do was take it, wrap it around my boot and sole and tighten it down to hold the two together. Simple, right? Wrong. I first had to untie the knot to the leash which was frozen solid. There I am with my board up to my face, using my teeth futilly trying to untie the darn knot. After awhile, I give up realizing my two front teeth my give out before this knot will.  Good thing a group of skiiers came down and took a break about the time I gave up.  I scooted down closer to them and ask if anyone had a knife so i could cut this knot.  I explained my plight, and an older gentlemen says, yeah I've got a pocket knife. He was my angel.  I was able to cut the leash and wrap it around my boot and sole.  This held it together long enough for me to snowboard down the rest of the mountain and back to the condo. When I finally got back, everyone was thinking that I just took acouple more runs.  I showed my wife my rotted and separated boots and recounted how I had to MacGyver things  to make if back down to civilization.   She tells me I told you to let me buy you a new pair of boots. By the way honey, I'm fine. Thanks for asking : ) Unfortunately, K2 quit making these boots and binding system years ago. 

All in all, it was a great trip and a good time. I've been working hard on my smile and while its not 100%, I'm quite happy with my facial paralysis recovery. I'm the chubby one on the right

Thanks all for letting me share my story.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:06:09 pm »
Great story and thanks for telling it. Your balance issues are not enough to impede your activity level which is something I am glad to hear as my surgeon gave me a go ahead to run and hike again at my recent 3 month post-surgery followup. Your experience gives me more confidence in my situation.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:30:01 pm »
Thanks for a great uplifting story.  Glad to know there is life with AN. 
Pictures and story were great.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:02:02 pm »
My dream is to ski again.  Thanks for the encouragement!  Beautiful pics.
Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

chrisransom

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:12:02 pm »
Waypoint,

I was wondering about skiiing.  I'd posted an inquiry last Spring about riding rolloer coasters as I am an avid fan of them.  I went again to Cedar Point last summer and had no problems with dizziness, wooziness, or anything.  But my feet sure hurt from standing in line so much!

I am heading out to Whitefish, Montana to ski in 3 days.  I do have a little wonkiness when I turn my head quickly and I'm not sure if it's related to the AN or not. Anyway, I sure hope I can handle mountain skiing as well as I did the roller coasters. 

Glad to hear you're living and loving it!

Chris
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.

TP

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:09 am »
LOVE THE PICTURES, Steamboat is one of my favorite places on earth to ski!! I never wore helmits skiing until after my AN was removed. Thanks so much for sharing, made my day!!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

rezski

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:30 pm »
Great pictures.  I'm a long time ski patroller in the Pacific Northwest. We have a decent snowpack but it needs freshening and there are no storms in sight.  My AN has not affected my balance at all and I am in watch and wait.
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:21:00 pm »
I went skiing 11 1/2 months after CK. 
Skiing in bright sunshine it was like I never had an AN, it was great.

When the visibility reduced I found it much more difficult, very possible, but not as enjoyable.
Green runs were fine, blue runs a challenge.
Black bumps in the fog.... forget it...

To all skiers out there, it would be nice to know how you are going with balance in poor visibility years down the track.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

TP

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:02:41 am »
My balance issues only seem to occur in the dark. I have night lights all around my house, otherwise I would run into everything.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

chrisransom

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:12 pm »
Update - just got back from Big Mountain in Whitefish, MT - no issues with balance.  Unless of course you count the wipeout where I tore the  medial mensicus in my right knee!  I was practically standing still - one ski went this way and one went that way and I was stuck in the middle.  So now I have to deal with that medical issue!  It was fun though!
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.

rezski

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 11:54:31 pm »
Just a little update - the Pacific Northwest ski season has become totally awesome with a lot of new snow and cold temps!
Caroline the Ski Patroller
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

chrisransom

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »
Caroline - where in the Pacific NW?  Crystal Mtn?